Is there room for another Electric guitar revolution?

Chordite

• Members

Looking at Knotty's Apache post and the adjacent Joe Stump got me thinking about the development of styles and how after going through Shadows, Hendrix, Beck, Funk, Metal, Malmesteen, Punk and Nirvana, to plot an extremely abbreviated graph, it seems to have reached, er, stuck and is beginning to eat itself. Faster shredding or grungier drop D is not progress it is (to be polite) only refinement of what dad did.

Do we feel there is the potential for something completely new and revolutionary to power the next wave or have we done it all now? Found every basic texture that can be wrung out of the electric guitar? No surprises or new categories left.

Have you seen anything recently where you thought "Wow I've never heard anything like that before, this could be the start of something" ?

• Members

I think it is here now. Its simply , all the above, but LIVE, I think the resurgance of interest in live performance is just fantastic.

My favourite music is the basic, almost tribal rhythms that just seem to connect with your hearbeat or brain pattern. The sort its impossible not to nod your head to. Think sex pistols anarchy intro.

• Members

nope.....

at least in terms of someone making a technical "break through" ...Power chords, hammer on's pull off's, octave sliding "chords" etc,....it's all been done.

The future lies in the originality of melody, arrangement, and tone shaping through effects or whatever else it takes.....as mistersully mentioned Jack White has been, in my opinion anyway, the single greatest example of this in the past decade.

• Members

I wonder if Beethoven ever said that about the piano, or the orchestra? I mean why are we so hell bent on redesigning the wheel? Guitar and drums is to rock n roll the way that an orchestra is to classical music. So when did histrionics become more important than making music? We all want to be the next Hendrix playing with our teeth, behind our back or Van Halen tapping like a mad man when all the magic lies in Chuck Berry double stops, Steve Cropper fills, modal playing ala the Beatles, Santana et al., and mixing major and minor pentatonic like Page, Clapton and every other Rock God since.

Archived