How do you handle mistakes on stage

Chordite

• Members
I recorded Song For George from Eric Johnson for my only studio album and I accidentally hit an open string that created a very tasteful 6th chord that just fitted perfectly. Needless to say we kept the take. :) If you wonder' date=' here is the clip and the fortunate accident happens at 1:31. http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=5780273[/quote']

I think a few "rewrites" get discovered as you and Marko describe.

• Members

I played (bass) with a guitarist who’d ignore the setlist, which shouldn’t be a problem, but he’d often start songs without even calling them out, ‘cause we “should know the songs”.

He played a lot of Country, and damn so many sound the same at the beginning, or at least the way he played it, so that screwed us up a few times, and some I'm supposed to start right with him, so it didn’t sound familiar at all.

Then songs would have similar names and he’d call out the wrong one, like “Be My Baby Tonight”, and he’d say “On A Good Night”—

Yeah, I got some experience recovering from some wrong notes, haha.

Your dude is way off. Even all the pro bands have a setlist. He is a cauk!

• Members

We haven't used a set list in the past 800 shows. Don't need one. We play what we feel like playing based on the crowd at the moment. One of us, or the audience suggests a song and in a split second the song begins. In all those shows and all those sets we've never ever repeated the same set twice. Guess we are not a pro band even though we get paid. After doing this with this band, sitting in with other bands that stick to a set list feels like being in musical jail.

• Members
We haven't used a set list in the past 800 shows. Don't need one. We play what we feel like playing based on the crowd at the moment. One of us' date=' or the audience suggests a song and in a split second the song begins. In all those shows and all those sets we've never ever repeated the same set twice. Guess we are not a pro band even though we get paid. After doing this with this band, sitting in with other bands that stick to a set list feels like being in musical jail.[/quote']

I’m guessing most professional bands have a setlist-- whether or not they adhere strictly to it is another matter.

And I think he was expressing that the guy’s behavior wasn’t professional, and he’s right.

• Members
We haven't used a set list in the past 800 shows. Don't need one. We play what we feel like playing based on the crowd at the moment. One of us' date=' or the audience suggests a song and in a split second the song begins. In all those shows and all those sets we've never ever repeated the same set twice. Guess we are not a pro band even though we get paid. After doing this with this band, sitting in with other bands that stick to a set list feels like being in musical jail.[/quote']

If you are talking to me...well you missed my point. I never said you WEREN'T a "pro band". The other band I quoted- well...the guy thinks they have problems...so it might be a good idea...FOR THEM...to have a set list and abide by it.

of course I am impressed you've done 800 shows together smiley-frustrated. It does sound like it's possible you may have used set lists BEFORE "800 shows". If you are comfortable without one....then fine. Nothing wrong with that. But don't pretend people are idiots (or "prisoned") because they do. Yes..."pro" (the REAL PROFESSIONAL bands...if you get my meaning)...DO use setlists. They may vary from night to night and such. Sometimes they HAVE to because of automated light and sound. Other times it's just nice to know what's coming up ahead...so you can menatlly prepare yourself and you rig settings.

But hey...you do deserve a round of applause for your no setlist 800 shows. baby-dance

• Members
He matter of factly stated that "all pro bands stick to a set list". My point was that' date=' no, they don't.[/quote']

Okay...geezus chripes. Let me retract the "all" and say "most". There....is that good enough?

So quick to jump in someone's sht....that you missed the point. I was trying to help the guy...back up his opinion. That band needs a setlist and to stick to it. Until they get as professional as you and your 800 shows anyway.

• Members

Best thing to do if you F'up on stage is : if you playing in a minor scale and screw up , play an diminished or half -whole tone scale, If you do a train wreck doing a Major scale do a whole tone scale ..... and the way to recover from any wreck ..... do a chromatic scale or an Allan Holdsworth run .... or just play through the wreckage !!!!

I think someone said it best a few post back .... PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED. .... like a sinister fart mist or anal vapor !!!!

• Members

As a few others have said, ignore the mistake.

Unless it is catastrophic, then make a joke about it.

After the gig, take whomever was responsible for the mistake out to the alley behind the club and have a 'talk' with them.

Archived