V.O.M.! Post recordings to share here all weekend!

Michael Martin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Riff. Just rearranging the furniture again. The name is old but I didn't let it gather a lot of mileage. Plus, when I attempted to register again a couple days ago it popped up as my moniker so I went with it. Double-Plus, it fits my new forum persona better when it comes to answering questions about acoustic guitars.

• Members

Michael loved it. Excellent.

Hoddy: Guitars sounded great. Band sounded great. Vocals need to be boosted IMO.

Idunno: I hate that song. But your playing is excellent. Your voice is a little wet I think. Needs tweaking.

Idunno: Your playing is excellent on Pancho and Lefty. Voice still seems too wet. Love that song BTW.

Idunno: I love that song. Your guitar sounds great. Your voice is very good too. I just think you need to tweak the fx.

Riffmeister: Excellent playing. Excellent playing too. Very tasteful.

FK: Guitar sounds deep. Lots of bass. Good playing.

Igneroid: The guitar sounds great. Excellent recording.

If I left anyone out - sorry. It was not intentional.

• Members
How was the holiday Howard? Where'd'ya go, wutch'a do?

Hi Joe.

The holiday was great. Went to Egypt - Hurghada on the Red Sea. Didn't do much - more or less lay in the (hot hot) sun all day, ate lots and drank lots.

• Members

Hi Joe.

The holiday was great. Went to Egypt - Hurghada on the Red Sea. Didn't do much - more or less lay in the (hot hot) sun all day, ate lots and drank lots.

My kind of holiday. Drank lots of what? What does Egyptian hospitality offer ungrounded heathens passing through?

• Members

My kind of holiday. Drank lots of what? What does Egyptian hospitality offer ungrounded heathens passing through?

You could drink just about anything you wanted: beer, wine, whiskey, vodka, brandy, tequila. . . . . . all "local" produce.

I stayed with beer and red wine (both OKish) - my normal fare - except when a friendly passing waiter gave me a glass of "cognac" that was going spare: it wasn't cognac (of course) but it was acceptable.

Oh, and water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, so I'm late to the party but I promised that I'd upload something with the new guitar. Youtube makes me skittish with posting covers so this one is likely to be pulled by me soon. It's not like I get the views anyway. Besides, the quality is {censored} since I haven't quite figured out how to work in Windoze 8 yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI0zF4h1rEM&feature=youtu.be

• Members
wtf...gotta give credit where it's due. They're trying. I just hope it sticks after GC gets sold off here shortly.

Just recorded this an hour ago. I put a Zoom H4 on a wall shelf about 12 feet from a Fishman SA220. The amp was set for dry guitar with some reverb on voice. The guitar is the Goodall RCJC with D'Addario EJ16s. The mike is a Shure SM57. The guitar system is the PWM into the amp via a Nady MGT-16 wireless. I recorded standing up reading the lyrics from my computer because I can't remember crap these days. Besides a frog popping up to see what the noise was about, at the usual critical point, it came out okay.

https://app.box.com/s/5dukrr7aqdey0lsm70u0

Sorry for the late reply but I though this VOM was extended? This forum is deader'n a doornail lately so I figured it wouldn't hurt to bump things up. Anyway, isn't that a James Taylor tune? I've heard of it but just never actually heard it before. My ears are no longer SBJ virgins and now JT has to live up to your rendition to my ears. How do you feel about that? ;)

• Members
It's been a long, cold, snowy winter. Finally, temperatures are beginning to climb and we're getting ready to "spring forward". So this is a little theme for "Winter into Spring". In a minor key which I guess is "winter" and then ends on a major chord which signifies the first glimpse of "spring". Played on a lovely old Manuel Velazquez classical guitar from 1958, recorded on a Zoom H4n, reverb added in the mix down.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12713290

Beautiful stuff, riffmeister! Your technique is so fluid and that little piece is short but oh so sweet. I do believe that I'm inspired to practice more!

• Members
MM - yes, that is not what I have come to expect from you and it is a nice change. Very effective and very well done

Hoddy - I too would have liked a little more vocal, but well done

Idunno - first, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. That has always been a favorite song and it seems to suit you.

Riff - I'm sure glad that you are back. I could listen all night

OK, I was going to post a crappy version of Anji but instead here is an old Paul Siebel song that has been covered by Bonnie Raitte, Leo Kottke and so many others. I love the words but since I can't sing I'll spare you.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Louise.mp3

Great job, Freeman! You started out a little hesitant but really got into a good groove there. Which guitar did you play that on? Clearly that's one of your own creations.

• Members

Great job, Freeman! You started out a little hesitant but really got into a good groove there. Which guitar did you play that on? Clearly that's one of your own creations.

Its the 000-28, the right one in the family portrait. Thanks for posting yours - great song well sung and the guitar sounds good too.

• Members
Local produce? They make that stuff there? Never knew that. Can't wrap my head around that culture producing spirits.

Well I suspect that they produce alcoholic beverages primarily to serve tourists (remember tourism is often a big earner).

HST it does depend on the county: some Muslim countries ban alcohol completely, in others it's freely available. I spent a lot of time in Morocco in the late 80's/early 90's and all hotels served alcohol much of which which was produced in the country. I've visited Egypt and Turkey a couple of times and the same is true in those countries - in fact I believe that Turkey is the world's 6th largest wine producer.

• Members

Sorry for the late reply but I though this VOM was extended? This forum is deader'n a doornail lately so I figured it wouldn't hurt to bump things up. Anyway, isn't that a James Taylor tune? I've heard of it but just never actually heard it before. My ears are no longer SBJ virgins and now JT has to live up to your rendition to my ears. How do you feel about that? ;)

You've never heard Sweet Baby James before? I'll take the compliment, thank you very much, but you need to hear the real deal.

• Members

Tom - Good tune and well played.

jamesp - Wow. Pretty heavy. I remember the debut of this song as a much younger person who did not have any clue about life on the other side of his skull. By the time I did learn what the song was about it was kinda too late to relate. The fiddle tune works well, too.

• Members

It was the B-side to one of my big sister's 45s and I remember it having an impact on me even then. I hadn't thought of the song in years until reading yesterday's paper. I looked it up on Youtube after work. That was maybe the sixth or seventh time I've ever played the song, and it's so sad I'll probably never play it again. Cold and Frosty Morning is a spooky old favorite of mine. I was trying to make it sound like frailing banjo. Thanks for listening!

• Members

And to continue this VOM1T ...

​Dougie Maclean wrote this lament about missing his home turf while he was gigging around the English countryside. Now it's a signature piece of his and every Scot who's ever since set foot in a club he's playing at knows it well enough to sing along. He recorded it in the '90's, IIRC, and I heard it by chance a couple years ago. I finally sat down about a month ago to learn it well enough to add to my set list. Don't mind the poor recording skills. That ineptitude will forever haunt me.

A Goodall RCJC needing some attention to its action (buzz), via K&K onboards and Shure SM 57 on voice, to a Zoom H4 and then into Garage Band.

Caledonia - Dougie Maclean

https://app.box.com/s/cr1n0z3a5mxwfxi6a9l1

• Members

How have I never heard that song? Nice work, stranger!

That friend whose Neumann TLM 103 I had eventually needed it back and I haven't given a damn about recording since. But at least now I know the price of admission. ;-)

• Members

BTW, I've tried frailing. It didn't get as far as my bucket list.

I knocked around with some recording gear before settling on the current line up. I suppose there's better stuff out there but you need to know how to use it. That knowledge is also never going to get in the bucket. Dwindling skills aren't going to need it anyhow.

Thanks for the listen. Maclean plays it in an altered tuning capo'd up around the 7th fret. Not my kind of sound and no bass to speak of, I brought it back down to standard tuning/pitch to fill out the register.

• Members

My experience was that whatever I recorded with that mic sounded great, no matter how I did it. No amount of positioning and post-processing with the mics I have now comes even close. I may have to borrow it back. It was here so long that when he called he asked, "Did I loan you my Neumann?" I'm not proud to say that there was a split second there where I was tempted to... but no, and damn my conscience for it!

Steve Baughman's Frailing Guitar is one of the great lost sites of the Internet, afaic. I think he took it offline and put it in his book tho', so more power to him.

• Members

It's exactly the post processing that I do that adds in the monkey wrench FX. I can't help it. The dials and screens and doodads just beg to be fiddled with. There's no learning from it because I start with unsatisfactory imaging and end with it. The DAW silliness in between is just a cinema moment sometimes with, sometimes without popcorn.

Archived