X32 Rack Review (My perspective)

• Members

I kind of filed the built in cross-over feature in the "Interesting, but I don't need it" catagory.

If I were still using my passive speakers, I might feel differently about it.  But still, Andy brings up a very good point.  When I DID run a passive rig, the cross-over was permanently wired to the amplifiers.  I only had to get it right once.  I suppose it was always possible to run the wrong speaker wires to the wrong place, but I made sure that my tops terminated in 1/4" while the bass bins terminated in speakon connectors making it impossible to get wrong.

I really love the remaining flexibility of the channel and bus equalization though!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

agedhorse wrote:

Sure is nice not having to waste energy on these kinds of problems...

You will be assimilated sooner or later. Once you have that first Behringer digital mixer in your inventory you're doomed biggrin.gif. I swore I'd never own an Apple product and now I have three iPads facepalm.gif.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

If you are using remote applications EVER then you have the potential for "these kinds of problems". The Mackie has a physical interface.... the docked ipad so it's not like I was out of luck. I was just inconvienced, especially during intros and toasts where I can walk the room, handing microphones to the next person and then step away and make any adjustments needed.

Honestly, it's a reminder how good I have it when "stuff works" and for 45 shows in a row it did. This was just one where it didn't. It's also a reminder to make sure you have redundancy....a hard wired connection as well as a backup mixer in case it all blows up. That's true of any mixer you choose.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

The borg await you.  Resistence is futile ;)

It is a trade off.  When I had a dedicated soundman, I had to worry about where the snake would be routed, the bar owner complaining about the liability of having a long cord tapped to the floor where someone might trip, and where I was going to put the mixer in mostly crammed bars that didn't have anywhere for the mixer to go.

Also, I don't know about you Andy, but my back says that an iPad is better to load in and out than a 100' reel snake ;).  BTW, mine is for sale if anyone wants a 16 in, 4 out 100' reel snake ;)

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Depends. Fun shows probably 15%, ok shows probably 40%, the rest are IMO pretty miserable. That's why it's called work, and why we get paid well to do it.

Hope you up your "Fun" percentage in 2014 Andy ;)  Merry Christmas!

What makes the shows not fun (other than hauling around a 40 pair 200' snake ;) )?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I record 12 tracks normally, but I tested with 16. I record the entire show ..... Even breaks, so it is around 4 hours. In reaper, it divides the files at around 1 gig and an entire show takes almost 2 files per track. I am using a pitiful AMD sempron 1.8 ghz laptop and I also run X32 edit on it at the same time. No problem.

The only issue I have had with USB is that I found the PC must be booted up before the rack to get the ASIO driver to load.

Hope this helps ;)

• Members

OneEng wrote:

Hope you enjoy your new mixer. I am definitely happy with mine. I had my setup completely done using X32 edit before my mixer arrived.

OneEng,

Thank you for giving me the idea of pre-installing X32 Edit and X32-Mix.  I got the X32 Rack running in no time.  I was even able to playback my old recording (live performances) recorded via Presonus 24.4.2.

Anyone interested in buying a Presonus 24.4.2?  I'll  give you a good deal.

Thanks,

Eli

• 1 year later...
  • Members

What is the difference between the X32 and X32 rack, other than the lack of a board?

These are our requirements. Do I need the X32, X32 rack, or two X32 racks?

Inputs:

Wireless Lapel Mic #1

Wireless Lapel Mic #2

Vocal Mic #1

Vocal Mic #2

Overhead Choir Mic #1 (maybe)

Overhead Choir Mic #2 (maybe)

Acoustic guitar

Electric guitar #1

Electric guitar #2

Bass guitar

Keyboard

Piano (maybe)

Synth (maybe)

Kick Drum

Hi-hat cymbals

Crash cymbal

Ride cymbal

Tom #1

Tom #2/Floor Tom #1

Laptop #1

CD/DVD player (maybe)

Outputs:

Speaker out (Mains)

Subwoofer out (with fixed or adjustable crossover frequency)

Floor Monitor/In-ear monitor #1

Floor Monitor/In-ear monitor #2

Floor Monitor/In-ear monitor #3

Floor Monitor/In-ear monitor #4

Baby room out

Recording out

APR speaker out

• Members
What is the difference between the X32 and X32 rack, other than the lack of a board?

These are our requirements. Do I need the X32, X32 rack, or two X32 racks?

Wow, kind of a zombie thread here..

Anyway, there is no difference in the software in the different X32's, it's the same across the whole X32 line. Every X32 is capable of mixing 32+6 inputs and 16 busses (outputs). The differences between consoles is simply the physical surface, including the number of inputs and outputs. The X32 rack and compact have 16 XLR inputs and 8 XLR outputs, while the fill size X32 has 32 XLR inputs and 16 outputs. Additionally, they each have 6 TRS inputs and 6 TRS outputs, which are similar to the other inputs and outputs but have less control. These inputs are ideal for playback sources, such as a CD player or playback computer.

The full size X32 is great, because you have all the possible inputs and outputs in one package. If you use one of the smaller versions, and you need more inputs or outputs than an X32 compact or rack will allow, then you can add another X32, or an S16 stage box. The routing is more straightforward when you add an S16, but you can gain flexibility by adding another X32. For example, you can have 2 X32 racks, each sharing a total of 32 XLR inputs, and use one for FOH and one for monitors. Or a compact and a rack. Or do like I did, and have a full size and 2 racks that act as a digital snake, monitor console, and backup FOH console.

In any case, it looks like you can find something in the X32 family that will work well for you.

On another note, you should get in the habit of listing your stereo inputs and outputs as such, to make it easier to count the number of channels needed. Your laptop and CD player are probably stereo sources, and your main speakers are likely stereo as well. Just a guess.

• Members

BTW, "Recording out" - this should not be one of the X32's outputs. You should be sending audio over USB to laptop running Ardour or something. The X32 can stream all of its inputs simulatenously (providing your laptop can keep up). This means you get a perfect digital recording over everything that hit an input, and you can re-mix in post to your heart's content.

If the X32 rack doesn't have enough inputs, you can add more via an S16 stage box. You connect the two with an Ethercon STP cable. No need to buy a second X32 rack. I don't know how many inputs you actually need. Is the keyboard stereo? How many mics on the piano? etc. Similarly, do you really need a mic on each cymbal??

The primary difference between the X32 and the X32 rack is the rack doesn't have a mixing console, you are forced to use a computer or iPad.

Wes

• Members

B. Adams and wesg, thanks for the replies? I'm such a noob that I really don't know what we need/want. I was listing our current equipment just to get an idea.

I guess my main question was what we need, but I guess you can't determine that without knowing the requirements.

The audio consultant was recommending two X32 racks, but I was wondering why get that rather than one X32 mixer. Now you guys are saying there's another option of one X32 rack and one S16 stage box as well!

• CMS Author

If you've got the services of an audio consultant, and you are new to all of this, why are you second-guessing him/her on this?

Will the consultant provide training for whomever will be using this system? Knowledge not keeping up with gear is a *very* common issue in church systems. You can get into a world of trouble with digital gear if you don't know the system thoroughly.

• Members
B. Adams and wesg, thanks for the replies? I'm such a noob that I really don't know what we need/want. I was listing our current equipment just to get an idea.

I guess my main question was what we need, but I guess you can't determine that without knowing the requirements.

The audio consultant was recommending two X32 racks, but I was wondering why get that rather than one X32 mixer. Now you guys are saying there's another option of one X32 rack and one S16 stage box as well!

I use two racks rather than one and a stage box because the cost isn't much more and you then have the option of having a backup rack should one ever fail.

• Members

Who is going to be running the mixer? Will it be moved frequently, or sit in one place forever?

• Members

Who is going to be running the mixer? Will it be moved frequently, or sit in one place forever?

Sound team will run the mixer. It is going in a dedicated church sanctuary, so it wont' be moved frequently.

Yes, the audio consultant will train us on the system. Sounds like his recommendation of two X32 racks is a good idea.

• Members

Especially in a church. One drop (or three iOS upgrades) and your mixer is done. And you KNOW you jack wagon is going to be playing Angry Birds on it in the back room, so that Sunday service will always start with the iPad hunt. :)

• Members

I agree with these guys. If it isn't being moved, then why not spring for the X32 Compact? It is only about $600.00 more than the Rack and would be much easier to operate from a fixed position.

Is the budget really tight?

• Members

Oh, and also since it isn't being moved, you use a simple snake to get your signals to the board.

FYI, using the Compact does not keep you from using your tablet to mix with. It works exactly like the X32 Rack in that respect. You would simply have a real physical interface to work with as well.

Archived