X32 Rack Review (My perspective)

• Members

Well, here it is nearly 3 years after my initial purchase. I thought I would do a little update:

Failures - NONE.

Lockups in the app - NONE

Failed connections - NONE

I record our practices and gigs every time. This is still my favorite feature of the mixer since it is so easy for us to hear our instruments/vocals in isolation and to use the channel eq and processing to get a fantastic mix.

I got rid of my old rack, and put the X32 Rack into an 8 space SKB roller rack. This has made my life quite a bit easier. Those wheels and handle really come in handy ;)

While the hardware for the X32 Rack has been flawless, the iPad software has simply not been kept up to date. There is still no support for snipits, it took forever to get the RTA, and they never implemented a method of creating a custom layer.

I have since purchased an Android tablet and use Mixing Station instead. This application has run flawlessly and has allowed me to create a custom layer that has everything I need on it at once, and nothing I don't need.

I still really love this setup. It is really great to have such consistancy from gig to gig and practice to practice.

I have also added a singer and a keyboard. I still have left-over inputs to spare, and if I am ever really pressed for even more inputs, another $500-$550 will get me an SD8 raising my channel count to 24 XLR's and 6 1/4" inputs (30 total).

I have run the unit on a very poorly regulated generator (that really wasn't a great idea by the way) and everything performed perfectly. Power has been interrupted, storms have dimmed the lights, and a drunk dude spilled beer on it. Everything has worked perfectly in the face of all adversity.

I have noticed that more and more people are now buying the XR or X18 instead of the X32 Rack these days. The X18 in particular at only $700 is very compelling since it has enough of the capabilities of the X32 Rack that it satisfies most bar band needs.

I do find that I use the physical main volume knob pretty often which really surprises me. I only use the remaining GUI on the unit infrequently. You can make adjustments with it, but it is a PITA to do so.

One disappointment I do have is that Behringer was originally planning to offer efx plug-ins that would be downloadable from the Behringer web site. After their purchase of TC Electronics, I was really (really really) hoping for an M3000 plate verb as an update. This has simply not come to pass. Additionally, despite Behringer's request for V3.0 features, firmware updates have been limited to support for new stage boxes and digital speakers for the most part.

I do realize that Behringer have had their hands full getting the XR mixers squared away, and that at this point in time, it likely makes more sense for them to start working on an X32 Rev B product using the new SHARC processor that is now 2 generations superior to the one in the original X32.

I am not unhappy at all though. The X32 platform has raised the bar for quality vs price in digital mixing and the world will never be the same. I have had nothing but great experiences with it and it just turns on and runs every week when I use it.

I do still use my little ZED 10Fx for simple DJ stuff though. Way more compact, light and simple to explain to nearly anyone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Well, here it is nearly 3 years after my initial purchase. I thought I would do a little update:

Failures - NONE.

Lockups in the app - NONE

Failed connections - NONE

I record our practices and gigs every time. This is still my favorite feature of the mixer since it is so easy for us to hear our instruments/vocals in isolation and to use the channel eq and processing to get a fantastic mix.

I got rid of my old rack, and put the X32 Rack into an 8 space SKB roller rack. This has made my life quite a bit easier. Those wheels and handle really come in handy ;)

While the hardware for the X32 Rack has been flawless, the iPad software has simply not been kept up to date. There is still no support for snipits, it took forever to get the RTA, and they never implemented a method of creating a custom layer.

I have since purchased an Android tablet and use Mixing Station instead. This application has run flawlessly and has allowed me to create a custom layer that has everything I need on it at once, and nothing I don't need.

I still really love this setup. It is really great to have such consistancy from gig to gig and practice to practice.

I have also added a singer and a keyboard. I still have left-over inputs to spare, and if I am ever really pressed for even more inputs, another $500-$550 will get me an SD8 raising my channel count to 24 XLR's and 6 1/4" inputs (30 total).

I have run the unit on a very poorly regulated generator (that really wasn't a great idea by the way) and everything performed perfectly. Power has been interrupted, storms have dimmed the lights, and a drunk dude spilled beer on it. Everything has worked perfectly in the face of all adversity.

I have noticed that more and more people are now buying the XR or X18 instead of the X32 Rack these days. The X18 in particular at only $700 is very compelling since it has enough of the capabilities of the X32 Rack that it satisfies most bar band needs.

I do find that I use the physical main volume knob pretty often which really surprises me. I only use the remaining GUI on the unit infrequently. You can make adjustments with it, but it is a PITA to do so.

One disappointment I do have is that Behringer was originally planning to offer efx plug-ins that would be downloadable from the Behringer web site. After their purchase of TC Electronics, I was really (really really) hoping for an M3000 plate verb as an update. This has simply not come to pass. Additionally, despite Behringer's request for V3.0 features, firmware updates have been limited to support for new stage boxes and digital speakers for the most part.

I do realize that Behringer have had their hands full getting the XR mixers squared away, and that at this point in time, it likely makes more sense for them to start working on an X32 Rev B product using the new SHARC processor that is now 2 generations superior to the one in the original X32.

I am not unhappy at all though. The X32 platform has raised the bar for quality vs price in digital mixing and the world will never be the same. I have had nothing but great experiences with it and it just turns on and runs every week when I use it.

I do still use my little ZED 10Fx for simple DJ stuff though. Way more compact, light and simple to explain to nearly anyone.

All I can add is +10. I sold my X32 Compact and now own a pair of Racks -- the second (in a 3U SKB "rack") as backup at every gig and/or for the 2-3 times yearly I mix a eight and nine member band and need more than 16 mic pres. Absolutely flawless. (Note, I abandoned the iPad app eighteen months ago when I realized an open-source solution like MixingStation is the future)

• Members

All I can add is +10. I sold my X32 Compact and now own a pair of Racks -- the second (in a 3U SKB "rack") as backup at every gig and/or for the 2-3 times yearly I mix a eight and nine member band and need more than 16 mic pres. Absolutely flawless. (Note, I abandoned the iPad app eighteen months ago when I realized an open-source solution like MixingStation is the future)

Hey Dave,

So I am guessing that you use your 2nd X32 Rack as a stage box to the first X32 Rack?

Really quite a killer setup if you think about it. 2 fully independent mixers for redundancy, with the ability to scale to 32 XLR inputs (and of course still have the six 1/4" inputs as well) if needed.

I had assumed by now that another company would eclipse Behringer in this market ..... and some do have advantages in specific areas, but overall, it seems like the X32 line still holds the "bang for the buck" award and "features for the buck" award as well.

The XR series was nearly dethroned by the Soundcraft Ui series.... but unfortunately, the Ui series appears to suffer from a hardware design flaw (I would say 2 myself). It is too bad really. The Ui series app is really quite good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
I have since purchased an Android tablet and use Mixing Station instead.

I haven't necessarily had any problems with the 1st party app but I'll have to check this out anyways.

We've been using our X32 rack and S16 since they've launched. We had some problems with firmware mis-match in the beginning, but since then it's been gravy. I also use an X32 in my venue and an M32 for most of my production work. Probably the best investment(s) we've made.

Archived