• Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Miket156

Quote by GregC:

--------------------------------------------

watch out for our 49ers !

We are # 1 in making team videos

--------------------------------------------

Greg, but aren't those videos about things other than football?
:D

Mike T.

Actually, I think those videos were by far the best performance any of those guys have given in the last few years.:D

Go Raiders!!!

raidershugefan.jpg

• Members

Quote by Tucktronics:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I sure hope so. They've been knocking on the SB door for too damn long. They need to get over the late postseason jinx.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There's been quite an on going discussion on STEELERSLIVE forum about the Steelers falling short in the post season. Personally, I would scratch the "postseason jinx" statement. I don't believe in jinx or luck. The team that plays the most error free game usually wins in the playoffs, because all the teams are good at that level. Ben committed THREE turnovers in the AFC Championship game and you can't do that and expect to win. And of course, after being up by 3 because of an interception, NE took it to the house on that 60 yard bomb and caught the Steelers napping. 10 zip. It was down hill from there on, and that has nothing to do with a jinx or bad luck. NE was the better team and my Steelers got the putty put on them. I don't blame Cowher like a lot of other Steeler fans, he didn't play a down.

I'm happy that training camp wll be starting here shortly. Its been so hot this summer, I'm already thinking about cooler temperatures in the fall. Too bad winter has to follow.

Mike T.

"Jinx" would probably be a bad reference. But the Steelers were in the same position many times before, incl losing the AFC Championship to the Patriots a few seasons ago and last year. It seems that they play strong during the regular season, but fall short in the postseason games that count. Remember the last season they were in the SB(I'd say 1995 or 96) when they lost to Dallas. What team did they defeat in the AFC Championship that year - - you guessed it, the NE Patriots. Either way, they need to keep the confidence and the poise in the postseason and be just as dominating.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

So far, no Cowboy fans...
:cool:

Speaking of which, any predictions on how Dallas will fare with Drew Bledsoe at the helm in the upcoming season?

Originally posted at
Street And Smiths.com
:

The combination of Bledsoe and Parcells was successful in New England. While they were known for some tempestuous and public sideline battles, the Patriots won the AFC Championship Game in 1996 before losing to the Packers in Super Bowl XXXI.

Packers.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I was born a Niner fan. It smells pretty bad in the basement. Any Bengals fans with some advice on how to endure it?

The NFC East can eat my shoe. Ideally, I'd like to see the NFC South eat my shoe, and then regurgitate it into East's mouth. The Gees- er, Eagles can gobble the stuff up. Then the Cowboys can eat the geese. Then the Redskins can scalp the Cowboys, only to be run over by Jeremy Shockey as makes another spectacular drop.

• Members

Quote by Tucktronix:

-------------------------------------------------

"Jinx" would probably be a bad reference. But the Steelers were in the same position many times before, incl losing the AFC Championship to the Patriots a few seasons ago and last year. It seems that they play strong during the regular season, but fall short in the postseason games that count. Remember the last season they were in the SB(I'd say 1995 or 96) when they lost to Dallas. What team did they defeat in the AFC Championship that year - - you guessed it, the NE Patriots. Either way, they need to keep the confidence and the poise in the postseason and be just as dominating.

--------------------------------------------------

Tuck, I've been a Steelers fan since 1965. No offense but the Steelers didn't just LOSE those games to the Patriots, they were EMBARASSED. In both those games, NE went up 21-3 in the first half. Time to go tailgate, GAME OVER.

Clearly, The Steelers were VERY fortunate to get past the Jets. If their kicker didn't choke, it would have been the Jets and the Pats in the AFC Championship game. NE has the better team. You don't win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls by being lucky. The EAGLES gave them a lot better game than I expected, at least it was a Championship game. The AFC Championship game this year was not. NE dominated both sides of the ball, made Ben look like the rookie that he is, and put the putty on us. Reality check. :(

Mike T.

• Members

As long as we're pointing out the flaws in our favorite teams, I'll throw in my two shiny, copper Lincolns with my biggest concern about the Packers.

Continuing the trend of the last few years, I'm again pretty skeptical about the minimal retooling my team has done defensively. The big news (if you can call it that) is that Green Bay hired Dolphins' defensive coordinator, Jim Bates, during the off-season.

Miami - there's a team you want to raid! :rolleyes:

Actually though, it may not be as bad as it sounds. Miami had a pretty good defense:

Originally posted at
Packers.com
:

From 2000-04, only the Buccaneers (281.4 yards/game), Steelers (282.5), Ravens (286.4) and Bills (293.1) played better defensively than Miami (294.8). The Dolphins under Bates finished no worse than 10th in the NFL's overall rankings after each of his five seasons, including 2004, when they ranked eighth despite losing four starters to injured reserve. The team ranked sixth in 2000, fifth in 2001, third in 2002 and 10th in 2003.

As a Lombardi fan, I've learned not to underestimate the value of a great coach; but while Jim Bates may be good, is he good enough? I guess we'll know by midseason...

Packers.jpeg

GO PACKERS!!! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Quote by Tucktronix:

-------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

Tuck, I've been a Steelers fan since 1965. No offense but the Steelers didn't just LOSE those games to the Patriots, they were EMBARASSED. In both those games, NE went up 21-3 in the first half. Time to go tailgate, GAME OVER.

Clearly, The Steelers were VERY fortunate to get past the Jets. If their kicker didn't choke, it would have been the Jets and the Pats in the AFC Championship game. NE has the better team. You don't win 3 out of 4 Super Bowls by being lucky. The EAGLES gave them a lot better game than I expected, at least it was a Championship game. The AFC Championship game this year was not. NE dominated both sides of the ball, made Ben look like the rookie that he is, and put the putty on us. Reality check.
:(

Mike T.

You're restating my point. They struggled against the Jets and you can't have that kind of game against a powerhouse team like the Patriots. The Steelers are usually best when they dominate the first half of the game. But, kicker Jeff Reed was awesome and you need a guy like that to win the close ones, especially going against a team with a kicker like Adam Vinatieri.

• Members

Tuck:

Sure, any team is better when they dominate "the first half". The Patriots did the dominating. They controlled the line of scrimmage, stopped the run, got the interceptions, and took the game away from us.

The reason for my post is your first post said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, they need to keep the confidence and the poise in the postseason and be just as dominating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't be confident and poised when you're getting your ass handed to you. Again, my point is that the Patriots were the better team, they came into OUR house and embarrased us. :(

Mike T.

• Members

Tuck:

Sure, any team is better when they dominate "the first half". Mike T.

If you want to generalize it any further, not EVERY team can hold a lead after dominating the "first half", as has been proven season after season.

Now, we're getting way too nit picky with this conversation. My point is that the Steelers indeed could've won the game, or at least made the game more competitive than it was. You're matching the #1 defense against the #1(I think) offense. The Steelers simply did not have their collective game faces on. You had mentioned the 3 interceptions that Ben threw and how the Steelers were caught napping when Tom Brady threw that 60-yd pass. I never mentioned anything about luck. The fact is that the Steelers were statistically the better team, but the Patriots just knew how to win where it counts most.

Tuck

• Members

Tuck:

The reason I brought up "Luck" is that you DID mention "JINX". And being the realist that I am, I don't believe in any of that nonsense. I was EXPECTING a better game than it was, and once again the Steelers looked lame.

It may take more Patriot players to retire or go the FA route before we can beat them with our existing team. The regular season game it was the Patriots that made all the mistakes, but when the chips were down, the Steelers {censored} the bed. It gets old.

An NO, I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest with another Steelers fan, its bad enough I have to listen to Patriot Trolls on the STEELERSLIVE forum. Anyway, you're from NY state so I don't want you to be a Giants fan. :)

Mike T.

• Members

"But I've got to think about my wife and my sons and just make sure things are right."

:thumbsup: The guys's got his priorities straight. How refreshing. I really hope he comes though without any more setbacks and can play healthy again in '06.

--Mark

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

So far, no Cowboy fans...
:cool:

dB

Nah, we're here. We're just keeping quiet for now... ;)

Well, OK, maybe we'll keep quiet for the majority of the season too - I guess time will tell... As long as we beat the Beagles (hopefully twice) I'll be happy :p

Thanks!

bax

• Members

Dugman:

With Parcels in Dallas, they've got to come back up to snuff. Provided he stays long enough. I don't know what their CAP situation is, but Bill can get the most out of the players he picks and has been known to win with less talented teams than the ones he beats. My Steelers would love to play Dallas in a Super Bowl again, if we can get there with this team. The Patriots will have something to say about that, as well as a few other teams.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

MikeT - ya know, my brother is a red 'n blue, thru 'n thru Giants fan and during Parcells' reign there they were just a damn tough and talented team. I always talked trash (my job...) but he is one helluva coach and has proven it with various teams over his career. Talent only gets you so far, and coaching is a total key to actually turn a group of talented players into a team. Bill can do that, and I think he is doing that with the 'Boys...it just takes time, but I'm thinking this year we've got a chance to impress.

Now, if we see the Cowboys and Steelers in Detroit next February I'll probably have to pony up and get myself (and my wife, another Dallas fan since before birth) there. That would be something to see.

I'm also excited to see Aikman, Smith and Irvin inducted into the Ring of Honor this September. Lots of other folks that deserve to be there (and probably before those three) but those guys did get things done in the 90's.

I realize this totally opens the floor for comments about what a wimp of a QB Aikman was...go ahead and get that out of your systems, folks. We all know it was his offensive line that did the real work... :cool:

Thanks!

bax

• Members

Charger fan here.

Hopped on the bandwagon during the Fouts/Air Coryell years, many years in the AFC West cellar, the Bobby Beathard roller coaster ride (put a team to go to the Super Bowl, then tore it apart trading away future 1st round picks for 2nd round reachs, with Ryan Leaf being the nail in the coffin), the Ryan Leaf fiasco itself of course, etc.

Tomlinson, Brees, and Gates made it fun again. Looking forward to another fun season!

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

Charger fan here.

Hopped on the bandwagon during the Fouts/Air Coryell years, many years in the AFC West cellar, the Bobby Beathard roller coaster ride (put a team to go to the Super Bowl, then tore it apart trading away future 1st round picks for 2nd round reachs, with Ryan Leaf being the nail in the coffin), the Ryan Leaf fiasco itself of course, etc.

Tomlinson, Brees, and Gates made it fun again. Looking forward to another fun season!

Oh yeah, I remember that '81/'82 season in the playoffs, that big air show betw them and the Dolphins. Kellen Winslow put up impressive numbers before he got hurt in that game. One of the best games ever!

Archived