OT: Isaac Hayes, Tom Cruise & the South Park Scientology Flap

GigMan

• Members

I'm a big South Park fan & I heard that Isaac Hayes just quit the show (he's the voice of Chef) because of his "religious" convictions and his "involvement w/the Civil Rights movement for 40 years..."

What a friggin' hypocrite - as Matt Stone said (co-creator of South Park w/Trey Parker), "Isaac was happy to collect our checks for 10yrs. but now he seems to have a problem?"

They've done some incredibly vile, offensive things on that show (most of them humorous!) - but they are equal opportunity offenders, pretty much ripping apart and poking fun at just about everyone: jews, blacks, gays, Catholic priests, Michael Jackson, the disabled, Chrisopher Reeve, stem cell research, metrosexuals, transgenders, gangs, steroid users, hippies, etc... For god's sakes, one of the characters is a friggin' talking piece of pooh from the sewer!

Apparently what actually happened was the episode that aired last fall which ripped on Scientology (Isaac is a Scientologist) & which also depicted Tom Cruise being stuck in a closet (a symbol of his covert, alleged "gayness") offended the Tomster and he came down on Isaac as well as on Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, which also owns Comedy Central - Tom said if they air that episode again he'd shy away from the promotional junkets for Mission Impossible III. So Isaac quit and Comedy Central agreed not to air it anymore - I guess it's a cult classic now?

Oh, man - you can't even make this stuff up... :D

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In Australia and Germany, Scientology is considered an evil cult. Over here, we grant them tax-exempt status and let them practice their quack anti-psychiatry, which can kill: http://www.lisamcpherson.org/

I have to admire Brooke Shields, who took on Tom dumbass. She had suffered from severe post-partum depression and would have killed herself if she hadn't taken an antidepressant, and she told her story. And so Tom slammed her. {censored} Cruise and Travolta. Scientology loves their mouthpieces famous, rich and stupid.

And here's a link to an entertaining article about the man himself. :freak:

http://www.slate.com/id/2122835/

• Members

Yah - a Chef send-off would be cool.

Here's Matt Stone's response to Isaac, from the South Park site:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

As some of you have already heard via CNN (click here) or Yahoo! News (click here), Isaac Hayes (the man behind Chef) will no longer be lending his voice to South Park.

Matt Stone says:

This has nothing to do with intolerance and bigotry and everything to do with the fact that Isaac Hayes is a Scientologist and that we recently featured Scientology in an episode of 'South Park.' In ten years and over 150 episodes of 'South Park,' Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslims, Mormons and Jews. He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show. To bring the civil rights struggle into this is just a non-sequiter. Of course we will release Isaac from his contract and we wish him well.

Many of you have been asking what this means for the show. This remains to be seen, but we will keep you up to date.

• Members

Agreed, a blatant double standard. It's nothing new though. For example, The Simpsons and South Park have been ripping Christians for years, but wouldn't dare poke fun at Muslims (unless I just haven't seen it). So Stone and Parker are just as guilty as Isaac Hayes is. Then again, maybe they're just afraid of retaliation. Bottom line, I'm bummed to see Isaac Hayes go, I hope they can find a good replacement.

"I hate hippies!"

(Edit) Just saw the previous post, I guess they have poked fun at Muslims. I stand corrected! :p

• Members

Yep, South Park has already shown Mohammed, which I guess earns them the right to be stoned to death by all those fanatics killing each other over the Danish cartoons. Did you know in Africa 100 Christian and Muslim villagers went at it against each other with machettes over the cartoons and hacked to death a lot of women and children? Just insanity.

• Members

I loved Isaac Hayes as Chef too, he was my 2nd favorite character besides Cartman.

People are generally to damn sensitive and easily offended. Instead of just leaving the show, why not try to set the record straight about your religion. Oh that's right cause I have to pay to get the message of what Scientology is all about.

Tom Cruse is such as smug prick anyway. The guy comes off as very cocky and all high and mighty, it makes me sick. He thinks he can just flash that smile and get anything he wants.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

Oh that's right cause I have to pay to get the message of what Scientology is all about.

Yep. They're the only "church" with a cash register right where you walk in.

Sometimes the first "course" is free, or a nominal fee. The second is a lot more. And the third . . . by the middle of the 2nd course you are already being pressured to sign a million-year contract. I am not making this up.

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

Yep. They're the only "church" with a cash register right where you walk in.

Sometimes the first "course" is free, or a nominal fee. The second is a lot more. And the third . . . by the middle of the 2nd course you are already being pressured to sign a million-year contract. I am not making this up.

All churches have a cash register - some just disguise it in the form of a collection plate. :rolleyes::p

So Birdie, did you mean a "...million dollar-a-year contract" ?? ie, at the higher levels of Scientology, they actually pledge or "tithe" 1M per annum?

Holy hopping snot! :eek:

• Members

Nope, I mean one million years.

In the 1980's, I was briefly in Scientology, for 1 1/2 courses, about 3-4 months. The trailer in the back was for discipline. Don't get me started.

What really made me sick was when really ill people would report in, absolutely throwing up and red faced with the flu, and they would do their little Scientology touchy-feely healing therapy and pretend they felt better. It was so sad.

I quit when they pressured me to sign the million year contract.

This is the Scientology pecking order:

At the top: the glamorous mouthpieces like Cruise and Travolta, who get treated like kings, with their own Hollyweird Celebrity Center.

In the middle, naive young people with rich parents.

At the bottom, drug addicts who are the janitors and the night watchmen and do all the labor.

It's the sickest place I've ever been in.

• Members

In the 1980's, I was briefly in Scientology, for 1 1/2 courses, about 3-4 months. The trailer in the back was for discipline. Don't get me started.

What really made me sick was when really ill people would report in, absolutely throwing up and red faced with the flu, and they would do their little Scientology touchy-feely healing therapy and pretend they felt better. It was so sad.

I quit when they pressured me to sign the million year contract.

This is the Scientology pecking order:

At the top: the glamorous mouthpieces like Cruise and Travolta, who get treated like kings, with their own Hollyweird Celebrity Center.

In the middle, naive young people with rich parents.

At the bottom, drug addicts who are the janitors and the night watchmen and do all the labor.

It's the sickest place I've ever been in.

Woah. :freak:

So, what's the "trailer in the back for discipline..." :eek: ... And what exactly is the "million year contract." :confused:

• Members

Scientologists believe in past lives, hence the belief that you can sign a contract good for one million years. It's part of the mind-{censored} to get you in their power.

The trailer in the back of the building was where you were taken for disciplinary hearings. You would never know about it if you were a reporter. I was taken there a couple of times because I was a smartass, which was fine because being a smartass got me out of Scientology. It was extremely tense in there and I had the clear impression that you could be kept in the trailer and God knows what else if you didn't follow along.

I really don't want to talk about it. I just needed to unload a little, and I did. It's a scary, scary organization.

Here's a link to a series of articles in salon about Scientology. You will have to endure a short 20 second advertisement, then you can access all the articles.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/07/01/sci_psy/index_np.html?x

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

All churches have a cash register - some just disguise it in the form of a collection plate.
:rolleyes::p

the difference is that with an actual church tithing is voluntary, expected, and anonymous. non-anonymous donations are welcome and encouraged but never compulsary.

also ... tithing is never the key to elevated spiritual enlightenment in an actual church.

personally i would love to see the Chef continue in SP by being captured by Cybermen and "cyberconverted" (star trek fans: think "assimilated"), and returned to his normal kitchen duties as Cyberchef ... with all dialogue sampled from his previous stories and stitched together in new phrases in the most disjointed way possible. put a flashlight on his head, some hoses, and a chest unit that is also a microwave oven ... yeah.

it would be the perfect statement on scientologists and they way they walk around like zombies staring through you ... no longer like us but still thinking they are like us, converting the greatest soul artist of all time into a humourless robot.

if you don't know what a cyberman is, check out the photo and run your internal SP translation routine to see what i'm getting at:

tenth_planet_cyberman_colourised.jpg

• Members

I could've sworn it was a billion-year contract. Not that it makes it much weirder, but whatever...

What's funny about the South Park episode is that the story of Xenu was scaled-down. Yes, they scaled it down so it wouldn't sound so weird.

I drive by the $cientology Celebrity Center on the way to work and promptly give it the finger every day. Evil, evil, {censored}tards.

Unfortunately, they're not the only ones out there attempting to brainwash people. The movie "What the Bleep Do We Know" is thinly-veiled propaganda for the Cult of Ramtha, run by a woman who claims to channel a 75-million-year-old warrior from the lost continent of Atlantis. I'm ashamed to admit friends of mine liked that movie before they discovered what it was all about.

• Members

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

I could've sworn it was a
billion
-year contract. Not that it makes it much weirder, but whatever...

You get to sign up for a billion years if you work on the Sea Org. You also get to wear a crisp naval uniform. Lots of stories about what happens out at sea, especially with young naive women, on a ship that mostly stays beyond the United States legal boundaries.

• Members

If any of you are more interested in how bizzare this stuff is, I get regular mailers intended for "higher ups" in this organization. It's bizzare, hilarious, and sometimes a little scary to read. People are gullible and wish to be led. These guys are right there to grab on to your weaknesses and exploit your feelings.

Oh wait, that's every religion ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Allerian

If any of you are more interested in how bizzare this stuff is, I get regular mailers intended for "higher ups" in this organization.

So, what - do you go around impersonating the big wigs of Scientology...?? :eek::p

• Members

You get to sign up for a billion years if you work on the Sea Org. You also get to wear a crisp naval uniform. Lots of stories about what happens out at sea, especially with young naive women, on a ship that mostly stays beyond the United States legal boundaries.

Hmmm, this sounds like a prime subject for a scathing Michael Moore style documentary.

That thing that Madonna is into is also a huge scam but maybe it is not quite as malicious, just greedy beyond beleif and preying on the gullible.

Regarding tithes, some churches do basically require a certain level of contribution, it may be 'voluntary' but is still expected. I think the Mormons have to pay like 10% of their income and are required to do a two year pilgrimage. Some Jewish temples also expect a certain % of annual tithes but I knew people who, although they were indeed Jewish, were not religious at all but went to and contributed to a temple because they networked like mad and made much more money than they had to contribute by being a member.

Archived