OT: Isaac Hayes, Tom Cruise & the South Park Scientology Flap

GigMan

• Members

Originally posted by G-bus

Also, a real church won't stalk you in car and on foot, bug your hotel room for info to help them make you believe they are insightful about your life, call your bank to increase your credit card limits, forge your signature on a loan application, and hold your spouse hostage and claim non-scientologists did it.

There was a case in the 70's with Narconon (a Scientology organization that transformed hippy druggies into LRH zombies) in which a live rattlesnake was placed in an ex-member's mailbox.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Fear My Potato

If anyone is interested, here is the video of that South Park episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSj9gc36Bw8&search=Xenu

Thanks for that. I could have saved myself a lot of time linking to all the informational sites and just watched the cartoon first - it gave me all the same facts about Scientology in under 20 minutes and was much more entertaining :D

• Members
Originally posted by U&I

{censored} I just read that Nambla link
:(

{censored}head pedofukkers like this should be friggin *bleeped*.

Sorry for the strong reaction.

I find that grossly offensive and I'm a friggin gay male.

How disgusting!!!!!!

I dare not even say what I'd do if one of those pricks went near a nephew of mine
:mad:
:mad: .

What any adult see's in anybody that's young enough too be their child is beyond me
:confused:

Makes me feel ill.

Quite frankly I'd find people under 30-35 too young myself.

What is with these people.

Do the asshole Gay&Lesbian lobby in the USA support these {censored} heads ?

They should be shot if they do.

+1. The association of pedophilia with gay culture (which is supported I must say, historically..peticularly if we were talking about pederasts and not pedophiles) is one of the many reasons I feel so distanced from it personally. I feel there are many predatory older men and friends of mine have been in the queer sex industry as runaway teens in portland and told me some whack {censored}. NAMBLAs f-ed up.

• Members

not reading anything more than a couple articles on yahoo news (and very little knowledge about scientology), my impression was that south park was in some ways, with this episode, crossing the line in the eyes of scientologists (or just hayes) because the content of the episode dealt with certain "secrets" of the church of scientology.

in that light, i can buy hayes wanting to resign. not saying that it's right or anything. but it could be a reasonable reaction, at least . . .

(overall, i mostly feel like "so what" regarding claims that hayes is hypocritical. it's like finding out that he quit the show because he wanted a pay raise and was being "selfish". both are equally uninteresting in the sense that neither would anger me. of course as far as gossip goes, this has been an interesting topic.)

• Members

On 'South Park,' a Chef Who's Not Toast

By Lisa de Moraes
Tuesday, March 21, 2006; Page C01

Still basking in the boffo ratings generated by the controversy surrounding the yanked "South Park" episode that skewered Tom Cruise and Scientology, Comedy Central announced yesterday that the show's 10th-season kickoff tomorrow night will be all about Chef.
In tomorrow night's season debut, the little Colorado town is jolted out of a case of the doldrums when Chef suddenly reappears, Comedy Central announced yesterday.

The four potty-mouth half-pints of South Park -- Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman -- are thrilled to have their old friend back but they notice that something about Chef "seems different," the network says, without elaborating. When Chef finds himself in trouble thanks to his new ways, "the boys pull out all the stops to save him," the network said.

- from The Washington Post website

• Members

Originally posted by object.session

not reading anything more than a couple articles on yahoo news (and very little knowledge about scientology), my impression was that south park was in some ways, with this episode, crossing the line in the eyes of scientologists (or just hayes) because the content of the episode dealt with certain "secrets" of the church of scientology.

Your reaction is not surprising seeing you know little about how Co$ abuses copyrights and trademarks to give "legitimacy" to their professional scam operation. Co$ hates criticism of their cult, they have sued or harassed every publication that prints unfriendly banter. They attack professional organizations that dismisses their quackery. They have infiltrated offices of all kinds, private and government. Co$ hates any religion but their own, yet those hypocrites cry for "religious tolerance".

Co$ is an extremely manipulative cult that encourages their members to lie and keeps their members from discovering the truth that their founder was a satanist and a professional con artist who encouraged exploiting the legal system. The less they know, the better. That is why YOU are the lone holdout of compassion towards Hayes and Co$, and YOU are vulnerable to falling victim to these quacks.

Wake up!

• Members

There was some poor {censored}er on the Musicplayer forums awhile ago who was a scientologist. He had been a contributing member for years, seemed like a nice guy and seemed intelligent. Then someone started a scientology thread that drew much criticsm (like this one). This guy got pissed off and left the forum forever. Just like birdie said, a cult pulls you away from your friends, and makes you believe anyone who is against scientology is evil.

In that thread, a few members shared their personal experiences with scientology. Most of the stories were similar -- a couple of members had joined the Co$ and left quickly when they started wanting $600/hr for treatments. Some went on to be the victims of harrassment, endless phone calls, stalking, etc...

Sounds like fun!

• Members

Co$ donates a web browser to their members - customized to black out offending words like "xenu" or "lisa mcpherson" (soon to have "south park" added), or the browser locks up if they try to access sites critical of Co$. Another example of this dangerous cult controlling their members.

• Members

Just don't miss tomorrow night's South Park!!!

The four potty-mouth half-pints of South Park -- Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman -- are thrilled to have their old friend back but they notice that
something about Chef "seems different
," the network says, without elaborating

Oh man, I can't wait to see what Matt and Trey do to Chef....

• Members
Originally posted by The Real MC

Your reaction is not surprising seeing you know little about how Co$ abuses copyrights and trademarks to give "legitimacy" to their professional scam operation. Co$ hates criticism of their cult, they have sued or harassed every publication that prints unfriendly banter. They attack professional organizations that dismisses their quackery. They have infiltrated offices of all kinds, private and government. Co$ hates any religion but their own, yet those hypocrites cry for "religious tolerance".

Co$ is an extremely manipulative cult that encourages their members to lie and keeps their members from discovering the truth that their founder was a satanist and a professional con artist who encouraged exploiting the legal system. The less they know, the better. That is why YOU are the lone holdout of compassion towards Hayes and Co$, and YOU are vulnerable to falling victim to these quacks.

Wake up!

phew! that was close! almost converted there.

now i realize that not only scientology but all those practicing scientology are incapable of doing things for non-evil reasons. i have seen the light! ;)

seriously, though, i didn't mean to sound compassionate towards the church of scientology. (well, honestly, it's kind of rediculous to draw that conclusion from my post . . assuming your post was serious.) i'm just not involving myself in the discussion of whether scientology (or any other religion) is good or evil.

• Members

It's scary that reasonable, intelligent people can get caught up in this scam, losing their friends and families, pissing their life savings away to constantly try and attain the next level at the "church", all the while being controlled and manipulated.

How {censored}ing sad.

• Members

Originally posted by girevik

So the word is that Chef will continue on the show. Wonder who the new voice is going to be?

The heavyset guy on Chapelle Show would be cool (the one who shouts "I'm rich, beeyotch!"). Or Charlie Murphy.

They already said that they were going to use clips of Isaac Hayes from old shows.

I put money on one of two things:

1. They will continue to use old quotes and make obvious non-sequitors.

or

2. Stone or Parker will come up with a voice and claim that the Scientologists have altered Chef's personality. He will sound like a dorky white guy. Or Tom Cruise. Or both.

Laters,

Tommy

• Members

i'm just not involving myself in the discussion of whether scientology (or any other religion) is good or evil.

yeah but dude Scientology isn't a religion. they only have the tax status of a religion because they sued themselves into it.

on one hand Scientology claims it's a church, but they'll sue you for violating trade secrets or copyright violations for talking about their "liturgy" or doctrine.

you can't have your cake and eat it as well. therefore Scientology is not a religion, but an organisation.

• Members

my impression was that south park was in some ways, with this episode, crossing the line in the eyes of scientologists (or just hayes) because the content of the episode dealt with certain "secrets" of the church of scientology.

in that light, i can buy hayes wanting to resign. not saying that it's right or anything. but it could be a reasonable reaction, at least . . .

If you want to believe in Jesus Christ, there are no secrets you have to pay for. Same with becoming a Muslim or Buddhist. Go to any legit church, synagogue or mosque. No secrets to pay for, just a Koran or Talmud or Bible for anyone to read and believe if they want to.

In the 80's, the Xenu info really was secret. You had to become OT for it to be revealed, after spending tens of thousands of dollars. Then came the internet. At first, sites that dared to criticize Co$ and mention Xenu were hounded, harassed and above all sued, and many times these sites vanished. But in the end, the internet proved too strong even for Co$, and now we can all read any information we want about practically anything from Xenu to toilet paper. Thank God for the internet.

Also, back in the the previous century, several books that were critical of Scientology were erased from existence, their authors and publishers bombarded with lawsuits and 24 hour hate phone calls. But again, now, thanks mainly to the internet, you can go to amazon.com and read any number of anti-Scientology books and there's not a damn thing Scientology can do about it. Thank God for the internet and the free flow of information it engendered. :)

So no, I don't think it's a "reasonable reaction" on the part of Hayes. He should know that in the year 2006, thank God, we have the freedom to know at least as much about Scientology as we do about any other faith . . . or cult.

Archived