OT: Isaac Hayes, Tom Cruise & the South Park Scientology Flap

GigMan

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I should also point out that in my brief stint with Co$, I noticed to my dismay that many terms like Scientology itself, engram, thetan, etc. were copyrighted. I assume Xenu was copyrighted too. Imagine going to a church, opening your Bible and finding it trademarked and copyrighted right down to the word Jesus. Would this be a church or an organization with their own proprietary "tech" (LRH's ideas were called "Ron's Tech" while I was there).

You can see how Scientology could be attractive to the modern musician who loves technology. Scientology appeals to people on a spiritual quest who want to approach spirituality in a rational, scientific, modern way. Scientology takes apart the mind as methodically as building a car or exploring a synth. Very attractive, seductive, and deadly. The Communication Course actually was training my mind to think in reactive, mechanical patterns, filtering all outside stimuli through the Scientology scrim, evaluating, calculating. Like a machine. More robot than zombie.

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

The Communication Course actually was training my mind to think in reactive, mechanical patterns, filtering all outside stimuli through the Scientology scrim, evaluating, calculating. Like a machine. More robot than zombie.

How do you feel the course has affected your thinking, and does it still persist to this day?

What do you think would have been next, had you continued with further courses?

• Members

Originally posted by angstwulf

They already said that they were going to use clips of Isaac Hayes from old shows.

I put money on one of two things:

1. They will continue to use old quotes and make obvious non-sequitors.

or

2. Stone or Parker will come up with a voice and claim that the Scientologists have altered Chef's personality. He will sound like a dorky white guy. Or Tom Cruise. Or both.

Laters,

Tommy

I'd be disappointed if they did that, but it's plausible.

They already changed Chef's personality once before, when he was dating the succubus.

• Members

Originally posted by G-bus

How do you feel the course has affected your thinking, and does it still persist to this day?

What do you think would have been next, had you continued with further courses?

I was in the middle of the 2nd course when I quit. I can't remember the title, but I remember it was a continuation of the Communication Course only more advanced and with the addition of the E-Meter.

I don't think it affected my thinking at all. Now, looking back, I realize I've had ADD all my life (not ADHD) and had the kind of wandering mind that's anathema to the Scientology mindset, which is disciplined, always evaluating. So I think it poured off of me like water on a duck's back. I just lacked the executive brain function to take it in properly.

By the middle of the 2nd class, I was very restless, especially with the E-Meter. I was also a smartass and my E-Meter responses irritated people and I got sent to the trailer twice. I quit when they wanted me to sign the million-year contract. What disturbed me the most, as I said before, was watching very ill people trying to function with "Ron's Tech" when they clearly needed a doctor. There was this touchy-feely therapy for illness that was obviously a crock.

• Members

I appreciate the heads-up on Scientology Birdie. I really didn't know much about it at all except for that Steve Martin movie Bowfinger, which had Eddie Murphy as the Hollywood star into Scientology, and Dennis Hopper the Scientologist pulling the strings in the background (very funny movie BTW).

The "Past Lives" stuff sounds borrowed from Hindu.

I've never known anyone who's experienced it firsthand... until now. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

I've read that many aspects of Scientology are just chunks taken from other religions, pushed together to form an incohesive collage of stories in order to support it's own twisted agenda.

• Members

I was in the middle of the 2nd course when I quit. I can't remember the title, but I remember it was a continuation of the Communication Course only more advanced and with the addition of the E-Meter.

I don't think it affected my thinking at all. Now, looking back, I realize I've had ADD all my life (not ADHD) and had the kind of wandering mind that's anathema to the Scientology mindset, which is disciplined, always evaluating. So I think it poured off of me like water on a duck's back. I just lacked the executive brain function to take it in properly.

By the middle of the 2nd class, I was very restless, especially with the E-Meter. I was also a smartass and my E-Meter responses irritated people and I got sent to the trailer twice. I quit when they wanted me to sign the million-year contract. What disturbed me the most, as I said before, was watching very ill people trying to function with "Ron's Tech" when they clearly needed a doctor. There was this touchy-feely therapy for illness that was obviously a crock.

I'm glad they didn't take you from us. :)

• Members
Originally posted by G-bus

I've read that many aspects of Scientology are just chunks taken from other religions, pushed together to form an incohesive collage of stories in order to support it's own twisted agenda.

Well, you know how an artist can blossom out of sometimes unpromising beginnings? Like with Asimov's Foundation trilogy, you can really experience how Asimov developed as a writer right through that series, from awkward beginnings to a triumphant conclusion.

Well, Hubbard was like that. He was a failed sci-fi writer whose stories are uniformly dismal. BUT he blossomed as a writer of "non-fiction fiction"--shades of Capote, LRH was really ahead of his time--when he invented his religion. From what I remember of his Scientology writings, which were extensive to say the least, he was warm, witty, and very clever in integrating/stealing bits of religion from all over the place. They weren't chunks and they formed quite a cohesive whole. Of course beneath the warmth and wit lay one of the coldest, most inhuman of minds, when you think of his agenda.

Yes, that is how he blossomed as a writer, by inventing the world's biggest mind{censored} cult. Just like how one of the world's worst actors, Ronald Reagan, finally found the role of his dreams as a politician, and was very convincing. You almost thought he cared. ;)

• Members

I think I just saw a promo for South Park's new season (which debuts tonight), that showed a clip of Chef returning.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hayes' announcement (and the curiously ascerbic public response from Matt Stone) was just a publicity stunt to get people to tune in.

If this is true, I imagine this new season is going to start off with a bang. After the Bloody Mary episode (which Comedy Central pulled only after one airing) I expect this new season to be quite raw indeed ...

• Members
Originally posted by mrcpro

I appreciate the heads-up on Scientology Birdie. I really didn't know much about it at all except for that Steve Martin movie Bowfinger, which had Eddie Murphy as the Hollywood star into Scientology, and Dennis Hopper the Scientologist pulling the strings in the background (very funny movie BTW).

I've never known anyone who's experienced it firsthand... until now.
;)

yar. :)

• Members
Originally posted by SynthLord

After the Bloody Mary episode (which Comedy Central pulled only after one airing) I expect this new season to be quite raw indeed ...

"Bloody Mary" episiode...? :confused::eek:

I missed that one (sorry I did!) - please explain. :D

• Members

So no, I don't think it's a "reasonable reaction" on the part of Hayes. He should know that in the year 2006, thank God, we have the freedom to know at least as much about Scientology as we do about any other faith . . . or cult.

maybe reasonable wasn't the best word. what i meant is that i could imagine that he just quit because he was upset. it's plausible that he quit because he was upset, rather. i'm not ruling out all the other possibilities. (and i admit, they're interesting.) just thought i'd add another.

(to other posters - ) i'm still counting scientology as a religion. i'm not going to nitpick over the terminology, but people believe in it, so it's a religion in my book. even if scientology is the worst thing ever ever the whole topic of the quality of religions is, imho, a "can of worms" i'd like to avoid.

of course, i'm not asking you all to stop talking about it.

• Members

I missed that one (sorry I did!) - please explain.

I'll try to go easy. Someone witnessed blood trickling out of a Virgin Mary statue in front of a church. Instead of tear-drops it was ... well, aggravated & exaggerated menstruation. Of course the church gets involved, Pope Benedict shows up & calls it a miracle, and the town-folk come to receive miraculous healing.

Meanwhile Stan's father admits to being an alcoholic, and begins AA meetings. At AA, he learns that alcoholism is considered a disease, and instead of quitting, he adopts a wheelchair and the demeanor of an invalid. He keeps saying, "but I have a disease! I can't help myself!", and cries a lot while forcing Stan to get him more beer. He eventually seeks healing from the Virgin Mary statue, rudely cutting in line in front of cripples, a girl with (hilariously) severe elephantitis, and others with legitimate diseases.

A pretty shocking episode, IMO, and I can deal with some pretty heavy stuff. I'm not offended easily - and not by this episode (I'm not religious) - but my jaw was on the floor the whole time. Naturally, it was too offensive, and Comedy Central pulled it. I imagine we'll see it on a "Secret Stash" block one weekend.

• Members

Well, Hubbard was like that. He was a failed sci-fi writer whose stories are uniformly dismal.

I once worked briefly for a law firm in Los Angeles as a filing clerk. One of their biggest clients was the Church of Scientology. This firm employed a team of recent law graduates and paid them probably $60 or $70 thousand a year to sit in a chair and read newspapers, magazines and books to look for copy right infringements claims against the church. (In all fairness, they did this for a lot of their other clients who obviously had money to burn).

The best (actually, only) decent part of the job was when I could get lost in their filing stacks for hours and find copies of L. Ron Hubbard books and other works by Scientologist artists. I burned quite a few days reading through a collection of L. Ron Hubbard western shorts stories. I doubt Zane Gray lost any sleep over this stuff.

I also found some great album covers for jazz projects with Chick Corea. Never heard any of the music but they had some really great sci-fi/new agey paintings that were actually pretty cool.

Laters,

Tommy

• Members

Originally posted by object.session

... people believe in it, so it's a religion in my book.

but do they actually believe in it or do it just to get work?

my drummer just moved back from LA (he was there for 8 years) and says that not being a scientologist makes it harder to find work in the town.

• Members

Reminds me of Reverend Lovejoy's comment that went sorta like "this new religion is nothing but a pack of ritual chants and lies designed to separate money from fools. Now, let us recite the Lord's Prayer 42 times but first, let's pass the collection plate" :)

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

but do they actually believe in it or do it just to get work?

my drummer just moved back from LA (he was there for 8 years) and says that not being a scientologist makes it harder to find work in the town.

Precisely why they call it scientollywood. And they cry about "religious intolerance", bastards.

• Members
Originally posted by SynthLord

I'll try to go easy. Someone witnessed blood trickling out of a Virgin Mary statue in front of a church. Instead of tear-drops it was ... well, aggravated & exaggerated menstruation. Of course the church gets involved, Pope Benedict shows up & calls it a miracle, and the town-folk come to receive miraculous healing.

Meanwhile Stan's father admits to being an alcoholic, and begins AA meetings. At AA, he learns that alcoholism is considered a disease, and instead of quitting, he adopts a wheelchair and the demeanor of an invalid. He keeps saying, "but I have a
disease
! I can't help myself!", and cries a lot while forcing Stan to get him more beer. He eventually seeks healing from the Virgin Mary statue, rudely cutting in line in front of cripples, a girl with (hilariously) severe elephantitis, and others with legitimate diseases.

A pretty shocking episode, IMO, and I can deal with some pretty heavy stuff. I'm not offended easily - and not by this episode (I'm not religious) - but my jaw was on the floor the whole time. Naturally, it was too offensive, and Comedy Central pulled it. I imagine we'll see it on a "Secret Stash" block one weekend.

Oh yeah - I DID see that one. Funny as hell. Figures it would be pulled... :rolleyes:

How about the one where Christopher Reeves sucks the stem cells out of the heads ofdead fetuses (with his mouth) and he gains enough strength to walk and then his new-found power goes to his head and he decides he has to defeat Lex Luthor but Gene Hackman tries to explain to him that Lex is not real... ROTFLMAO! :D

• Members

Fox News reported awhile ago that Isaac Hayes didn't quit South Park and never issued the press release saying he was offended by their Scientology episode, but rather left the show after suffering a stroke. Now Page Six is claiming the press release was actually put out by other Scientologists, saying:

That release was put out by fellow Scientologist Christina "Kumi" Kimball, a fashion executive for designer Craig Taylor. According to foxnews.com, "Hayes loves 'South Park' and needs it for income. He has a new wife and a baby on the way."

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/65830.htm

:confused:

Archived