What are you guys picking with??

Jeff1979

• Members

Thats quite a point, i think i would have trouble with those!

I bet they took awhile to get used to?

Amazingly, they didn't. Previously, I'd been using Dunlop 0.96mm picks, but I tried a V-Pick after reading rave reviews all over the place. Within about 30 mins, it felt like the most natural thing I'd ever played with. The points aren't as sharp as the picture seems to indicate and even though they're 2.75mm thick, they have slightly beveled edges.

They give an incredible amount of control, actually improve your tone and they never seem to drop out of your hand (now I've said that, I'm bound to drop one at this Saturday's gig...). I seriously can't recommend them enough.

• Members

I've been using a few different V-Picks for 2 years and 364 days. :D

I got my first V-Picks on November 19, 2007. I think that the ones I use now are called Large Pointed, and I got those in 2008.

I just visited Vinni's website and it's incredible how much has changed. More models, colors, revamped website, etc. Good for them!

I lost my first V-Pick 2 or 3 days ago :( At least it was not my Psycho or Big Fattie.

• Members

I used to use the small Jazz III's - I swore by them and used them for 15 years or so. Then one day I went to look for a larger pick for campfire strumming (I kept bashing my finger up strumming with the small pick). I found out that there was a larger version of the Jazz III - the Jazz III-XL. so I bought one - and have used it since. I love the grip on it, never slips or turns. Bright red so if you drop in on stage in dark lighting they are easily located.

I would love to try a V-pick. I have heard good things. I am always on a pick quest. Despite my happiness I seem to think there is a holy grail out there somewhere!

• Members

I use a few different types... Black Jazz III's, V-Picks (various, but usually their medium size.... though I am not crazy about the tone anymore), The purple Tortex Dunlop jazz picks (which I really dig) and an assortment of Wegen picks!!! I gotta say, Wegens are my favorite. The ysound AMAZING and feel good to play with. Their "Bluegrass" picks are out of control. They make any guitar sound twice as loud and gives it a super nice tonal quality....

• Members

I just started using V-picks because my teacher uses them. I'm not convinced. I do like how they seem to grip more as your fingers get some moisture on them from playing a long time. But mine does seem to be getting some wear on it even in the short time I've had it. So now it is kind of grinding off the string. The place I got them only had the clear one, so if I drop it, forget about it, I'll be searching for the next 10 minutes trying to find it. So in the dark on stage, its gone simple as that.

I'm considering getting a Blue Chip pick. They are made in my hometown of Knoxville, TN so that makes it more tempting. The downside is they cost like $30 a pop. Check out their website for more info...

http://www.bluechippick.net/

• Members

I'm using the little Jazz III's. I hada guitar teacher way back when I was 16 (a long time ago). Back in those days they were all jazz guys (not like today). That's another story. Every week I'd show up with the usual size pick and he'd throw it in the hole on my guitar and give me a little white jazz pick. Now I can't play with anything thing else. They stopped making them in white which sucks. If you drop a brown one on stage fogetaboutit.

• Members

I just started using V-picks because my teacher uses them. I'm not convinced. I do like how they seem to grip more as your fingers get some moisture on them from playing a long time. But mine does seem to be getting some wear on it even in the short time I've had it. So now it is kind of grinding off the string. The place I got them only had the clear one, so if I drop it, forget about it, I'll be searching for the next 10 minutes trying to find it. So in the dark on stage, its gone simple as that.

I'm considering getting a Blue Chip pick. They are made in my hometown of Knoxville, TN so that makes it more tempting. The downside is they cost like $30 a pop. Check out their website for more info...

Dude, I highly recommend you trying the Wegen Bluegrass picks!!! They are really great. They enhance your volume, give more balanced frequency response and they really feel good gliding across the strings, especially when you get used to them....

• Members

I used to use the small Jazz III's - I swore by them and used them for 15 years or so. Then one day I went to look for a larger pick for campfire strumming (I kept bashing my finger up strumming with the small pick). I found out that there was a larger version of the Jazz III - the Jazz III-XL. so I bought one - and have used it since. I love the grip on it, never slips or turns. Bright red so if you drop in on stage in dark lighting they are easily located.

I would love to try a V-pick. I have heard good things. I am always on a pick quest. Despite my happiness I seem to think there is a holy grail out there somewhere!

Gotta check those out, I have a nasty callous on top of my index finger from scraping it on the strings using Jazz IIIs.

• Members
Dude, I highly recommend you trying the Wegen Bluegrass picks!!! They are really great. They enhance your volume, give more balanced frequency response and they really feel good gliding across the strings, especially when you get used to them....

I'm definitely considering it.

You should know I'm not a bluegrass player I'm a jazz and rock guy. Do you still recommend the Wegen Bluegrass? The Gypsy Jazz style ones look pretty cool. And the Fat Tone model coming in at 5 mm. :eek: The Wegens look like they grip well but do they have durability? I see durability as crucial for picks, and its why I went away from Jazz III XLs to the V-pick.

• Members

This is going to probably make me sound naive and amateur, but I never really gave a second though to a pick outside of the way it felt in my hand. The fact that it could effect my tone is something that never really crossed my mind.

Crap, now I have a whole new thing to obsess over :facepalm:

• Members
I'm definitely considering it.

You should know I'm not a bluegrass player I'm a jazz and rock guy. Do you still recommend the Wegen Bluegrass? The Gypsy Jazz style ones look pretty cool. And the Fat Tone model coming in at 5 mm.
:eek:
The Wegens look like they grip well but do they have durability? I see durability as crucial for picks, and its why I went away from Jazz III XLs to the V-pick.

I don't really play too much Bluegrass... it's just a name. The picks are wonderful, Mine have not worn AT ALL yet... they have littel holes in them (like those old Tech-Picks, if you remember those) to aid in gripping.... They feel and sound nice... I have the Gypsy Jazz ones as well.. I like those less for electric and more for nylon/steel string. I think the Bluegrass ones are great for both electric and acoustic. It takes a day or two to really get used to them, but they feel and sound great....

What sold me, too, is that they make them left handed as well. The guy bevels them on the opposite side... Badass....

But yeah, for the bluegrass pick pack (which is 4 picks if I remember correctly) it's like $16.00.

I am intrigued now though by these Blue Chip Picks.... I went on their website and it seems cool, but at the same time, it's endorsed pretty much EXCLUSIVELY by country guys... I really want to hear the tones it creates on an electric...

Archived