Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Members

I just got my Tonelab SE and programmed a few good tones. I want to use it at the gig tonight, but my PowerEngine 60 is not in yet. :mad:

I plan to run the ToneLab SE through a THD Univalve with 6L6 power tube set extremely clean and closed back 112 cab.

Should I run it with line out into the UV, and then use the UV Line out to the PA, or just run it with amp out and mike the cab, or run the amp out and use the UV line out so the cab sims run right to the PA?

Also, if you run amp out, does it disable the cab sims??

Thanks much.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by MrMunky

if their fuzz model came even close to this, I probably wouldn't use anything but the tonelab.

Sounds great Munky. What amp models/settings are you using for the Fuzz clips?

• Members
Originally posted by The Dog Boy

I have owned a Korg AX1500G....which I believe is the BIG brother of the AX100G and AX1000G. All I can tell is that the AX1500G doesn't hold a candle to the Tonelab SE!
:D:cool::D:cool:

How? Could you explain please?

• Members

Originally posted by gripweed

How? Could you explain please?

I already posted this answer.....it's simple.....NO other piece of modelling based equipment features a simulated valve power amp section like the Tonelab SE.....

At this point in time....that puts it in a class by itself....LITERALLY!

The quality of tones...the variety...the feel....the SOUL....is more present in this piece of gear than ANY other modeller out there...and it's because of the power section....PERIOD!!!

IMHO....this piece of equipment is a MAJOR step forward in the evolution of guitar-oriented analog/digital integration....I would be happy to use the Tonelab in ANY live and/or studio application and not feel like I had done myself any sort of tonal "disservice".

Will any of this stuff replace the unique tone of a hand-wired, point-to-point,all valve amplifier?......probably not....but the TRUTH of the situation is becoming evident....it's just not that important....anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by MrMunky

It's a Marshall 68 with its matching cab.

Good ol' Crest Audio fuzz face providing the fuzz tones.

the amp model alone is what provides the rhythm sound on FaceFuzz2.mp3

Sounds great. Where are you keeping the output level knob and channel levels? Are you direct recording?

• Members

Okay, here is an update on the Tonelab being played through amps. Let me start by saying that it hates my Blue Angel. I don't know why, but it really sounded terrible through it. I absolutely love the Blue Angel and it has such a great tone, I thought that I would be disappointed with any amp I plugged the Tonelab into. Well, I was wrong. I had a couple of hours to screw around with it today, so I instantly plugged it into the effects return of my Mesa Boogie Mark IV so I was only using the power section of the amp. Now, this is what I was expecting. There are so many great tones to be had! Some tweaking is nessecarry if you are going to be playing through an amp as opposed to direct to board, but it is there. I have no idea why the Blue Angel hated it, but I'm glad that the Mk IV didn't. Now I am just waiting on my Yamaha AW4416HDCD to get here so I can start some recording! I am actually very relieved that it didn't sound bad through the Mk IV. I was starting to wonder if a lot of the reviews were hyped up, but after hearing it through a different amp I can say that it does indeed sound great.
This is, by far the best multi I have ever used for playing through headphones at night when my kids are sleeping. I didn't get to bed until 3 AM last night because I kept coming up with ideas inspired by the sounds I was getting through the Tonelab. It is EXTREMELY easy to program too. Anyways, I just thought I would share my experience with anyone that cares.
Oh, I also discovered last night that the "insert" feature (where you can put additional effects in an effects loop built into the Tonelab SE) does NOT take place of the "effect pedal" option, but merely places all exterior effects in line prior to the "effect pedal". This is something that was misconstrued on many of the chat boards that I wanted to clarify for those of you that are like me and are too lazy to read the whole manual. I know that it would be nice to be able to place the exterior effects in alternate positions in the chain, but I am happy to know that I can add any effects I want without subtracting from what is already there. It seems that one of the biggest complaints about the Tonelab is the lack of ability to combine effects, but for effects junkies like us, it isn't that much of a set back. I plugged the ZIM into the FX loop of the Tonelab and it brought the patches alive. Absolutely awesome. I am very glad I bought this thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

Hey, does anyone actually know how we can start sharing settings in an easy way? I'm sure there is a way to do it with the sound editor, but I don't have midi yet.

you could post the patches files here with the extension changed to .txt or .zip so you can attach them to your hc messages

• Members

I am tying to decide between the regular desktop unit and the SE

I am basically going to use it for recording flexibility.

Are the added effects in the se that good? (that good meaning I should spend the extra cash?)

I don't want to regret getting the regular unit.

Any opinions are wanted and appreciated!

64'

• Members

Well I tried the Tonelab through my egnater's effect loop, Mitch is right, bypassing the preamp really is the key for using this with a guitar amp...using the global button I set the the OUT level to Ln, and I didn't use the cabinet models that much...I also turned the rear pannel level a little pass the halfway mark, my favorite amp setting is the UK 68P with the treble booster ped.

The one effect I am dissapointed in is the phaser, I can't seem to dial in a Heart Barracuda type sound and time.

• Members

Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

Well I tried the Tonelab through my egnater's effect loop, Mitch is right, bypassing the preamp really is the key for using this with a guitar amp...using the global button I set the the OUT level to Ln, and I didn't use the cabinet models that much...I also turned the rear pannel level a little pass the halfway mark, my favorite amp setting is the UK 68P with the treble booster ped.

The one effect I am dissapointed in is the phaser, I can't seem to dial in a Heart Barracuda type sound and time.

Have you tried using the DuoPhase in the Modulation section or the phaser in the pedal section? I have been getting GREAT results. I'll see what I can do with it tonight.

• Members
Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

Have you tried using the DuoPhase in the Modulation section or the phaser in the pedal section? I have been getting GREAT results. I'll see what I can do with it tonight.

That was my problem, I was using it wrong...I got it down on pedal, and mode 3.

:mad:

• Members

I have the SE and it hates my Marshall MG100DFX, but to be honest, the Tonelab through a set of speakers is all you need. I haven't played my amp since I got the TL.

I have done some direct recording and it sounds great for all sorts of stuff, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Gary Moore, Santana, Floyd, Hendrix to name a few!

To the person who asked, yes you can get good high gain sounds but you have to use the right combinations of stuff. If you get the recto and go bass 10, mid 0, treb 10 it will sound like crap.. much like the real amp. Some of the best crunch sounds are using the JCM900 through a T75 4x12 with something like this:
Bass 5, Mid 2, Treb 5, Pres 6/7 and then add some sort of overdrive pedal.
Also, don't turn the gain up to full.. around 6 will do for the amp and you can add more drive with a pedal.

Also a good way of overdriving amps is to set the Orange distortion or Tube OD to:
Drive 1.0 (or a little more if you want), Level 10.0, Tone 4.0

Has anyone got any patches to share? :) I don't have MIDI and so can't connect my TL to my PC so trying to write down all my patches in the editor is taking a while, but once I have done it I will post it at the yahoo forum and give you a link.

• Members

Originally posted by Davidelmo

I have the SE and it hates my Marshall MG100DFX, but to be honest, the Tonelab through a set of speakers is all you need. I haven't played my amp since I got the TL.

That's odd. The MG series, being solid state always sounded very "flat" to me which seems like it would be nice for going guitar > effects return and completely bypassing the preamp.

• Members
That's odd. The MG series, being solid state always sounded very "flat" to me which seems like it would be nice for going guitar > effects return and completely bypassing the preamp.

Nope, it just sounds like crap no matter what I do!

Regardless of whether I run it through the amp headphone in, effects loop with 100% mix of effects or just through the front end of the amp it sounds awful.

In Ln mode it is tinny and no bass whatsoever and in Ap mode it is the opposite, with a boomyness that you can't get rid of!

Thankfully I have other things to run it through, such as my hi-fi or sometimes through my electric piano, which makes it sound awesome! :D

• Members

Is anyone here interested in a stereo guitar cabinet for the Tonelab?

I have a Lexicon 2x10 cabinet that was made for their"Signature 284" stereo tube amp. All you need is a poweramp and this cab-
I tried it with an old ADA power amp and it works great. The speakers are slightly angled outward for a wider stereo spread.
I'm just using the TonelabSE at home for recording so I don't need this cab (It was part of my original all tube stereo rig with the Signature 284 as the centerpiece...the one I had to dismantle and sell during tax season :() It's in great condition, 9 out of 10 with minimal scuffs-nothing at all major. looks like new from 3 feet away.) Shipping would probably run 35.00 since it is actually quite deep for a 2x10, but excellent tone (was made specially for stereo use with the amp and effects- Lexicon had a great thing there...) Anyway, I'd take 125.00 for it. I paid 175.00 for it plus shipping. :( It's just taking up space and my GF is tired of it.

I take paypal and I have a 100% rating on Ebay.
My Ebay ID is sojourner-music-traders, check it out.

-Bry

Archived