Vox Tonelab Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

• Members

My take on the Hi-Gain thing is this.....everyone is saying that this unit goes for a "Vintage" amp vibe......fair enough....to a certain degree...it does. However, there is plenty to choose from in the high gain arena.....Recto, US Hi-Gain, UK Modern etc. I think people forget that a lot of ultra hi-gain sounds are not created PURELY by an amp, but a combination of amps, pedals, cabinet choices, rack gear etc. If you start with one of the hi-gain models and program it well....including the right "pedal" effect in front to hit the pre-amp of the model correctly...good amp and cab selection...good effect choices...and run the SE through a nice close backed cabinet....well...I am POSITIVE that you could get some RIDICULOUS hi-gain stuff out of this as well. This is an extremely sensitive piece of equipment, and I imagine that it is highly adaptable in a variety of musical applications....in the right hands....this is a LETHAL piece of kit!!!:D:cool:

Today, I demoed the Tonelab SE for my brother through my computer speakers,(Subwoofer and two satellite speakers), and it sounded AMAZING!...even through those crappy little speakers.....:D:cool::D:cool::eek: :eek:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't changed the tube, and, after receiving a letter from VOX technical support...I am not going to. Basically...changing the tube voids the warranty, and I am not partciularly interested in doing that just yet. Here is an excerpt form the letter:

The valve in your unit should be fine for the next twenty years or so. Swapping it for a non-ECC83/12AX7 valve will probably have very little effect on the sound of the unit and I wouldn't recommend trying this. Of course opening the unit will void your warranty, and in the event of you not being able to put it back together would result in a service charge. Different brands of ECC83/12AX7 will vary in quality. However, I suspect that unless you went for the absolute cheapest, or the most expensive, you would hear no difference at all. I would be tempted to forget about specific valve choices until the current valve actually needs changing.

:cool::D

• Members

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

I haven't changed the tube, and, after receiving a letter from VOX technical support...I am not going to. Basically...changing the tube voids the warranty, and I am not partciularly interested in doing that just yet. Here is an excerpt form the letter:

The valve in your unit should be fine for the next twenty years or so. Swapping it for a non-ECC83/12AX7 valve will probably have very little effect on the sound of the unit and I wouldn't recommend trying this. Of course opening the unit will void your warranty, and in the event of you not being able to put it back together would result in a service charge. Different brands of ECC83/12AX7 will vary in quality. However, I suspect that unless you went for the absolute cheapest, or the most expensive, you would hear no difference at all. I would be tempted to forget about specific valve choices until the current valve actually needs changing.

:cool::D

Yeah, I figured it might void the warantee, but I can vouch that this tube change definately made a tonal difference.

• Members

I am seriously flirting with the idea of getting a Tonelab, I tried one out today at GC and liked it, I can only imagine how nice it would be after some tweaking... GC has it for $599, however they are having a sale Monday with 10% off so I am guessing $539. Is this a good price?...other than Porckchop, what did the rest of you guys pick it up for $

I am starting to get very sick of wall warts, patch cables, and the awkwardness of my board...so I may just bite and grab one of these SE

• Members

I paid 599.....

and somehow it cured most of my GAS.

Really, it is a "tone" lab.

I still have my Peavey comp and DMM though!!

Oh- and I long for a decent Leslie box again ( i was spoiled on the Korg G4, Rotosphere, and various others)

]

B

• Members

I would like to look into a nice leslie unit too. The Rotary on the Tonelab is lacking. It does a descent swirling effect for slight movement but it doesn't make you fall off of your chair like a good rotary should. I should have bought the G4 when they were going for under $200 a couple of years ago.

So, has anyone gotten a dead on Zeppelin II sound yet? I didn't get a chance to play laast night so I am jonesing.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

I'm taking a different approach.

I'm not using an amp sim for cleans, as I'm plugging into an amp whose clean channel I like. Then I dialed in an OD amp sound that I really like - based on the Dumble OD Special. So my A channel is no sim, B is Dumble model. Then I've been programming various effects combinations I like so that I can switch all kinds of effects on and off just b going to the appropriate patch.

I did the same thing when I ran my Tonelab SE inot my musicman 75 head. Now I got a Carvin DC1000 power amp that I run it through so I had to make a clean model for ch. A.

• Members

Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

Ok I picked one up today, I can see this will take some time to figure out...does anyone have any settings to share?

Yes, definately read the manual. It is the easiest multi I have ever programmed, but take the tips in the manual and from all of the links and forums in this thread. Some of the best tips I have read are to program the amp the way that the original actually was. For instance, if an amp did not have a Master Volume knob, set the VR Gain on 10. If it didn't originally have EQ knobs set the EQ at a neutral setting (Treble, Mids, Bass on 5). Also, if you are looking for the original amp's tone, match the cabinet model up with the original configuration, like Blackface 2X12 with the Blackface 2X12 cab or the AC30 with the AC30 amp. Don't be afraid to try unorthodox configurations if you are looking for different sounds though. I set one of my settings for a Tweed amp with a 4X12 75t cabinet. There is a ton more, but I have to go for now.

• Members

Hers's a nice little feature of the Tonelab. Picking up where Porkchop left off....setting an amp to reflect its ORIGINAL configuration....especially the non-master volume amps...If you set the Fender Twin correctly (VR Gain all the way up)...you can max out the regular gain and get ALL the lovely distortion that a real "Cranked" twin would offer. However, you can still set the channel volume to make the tone manageable....have you ever fully cranked a Twin??....its so loud it's painful....literally! This way...you get the tone and the power to use it at whatever volume you choose!....WOOHOO! :D:cool::D:cool:

• Members

OK, I just plugged into my Blue Angel with the Tonelab. I tried it in all different configurations and didn't like it. It was very blanketed and the levels were outrageous, but that is the only way they sound good through headphones. More to come. I really want to direct record, but someone beat me on an ebay bid for a Multi-track recorder today.

• Members

Argali....it's simply because The PODs do not have a simulated valve power section like the Tonelab, and that, in my humble opinion, makes ALL the difference when trying to "simulate" the tone, feel and response of a real tube amp...:cool:

At this time, it is my understanding that no other piece of equipment features this particular technological approach to tube amp modelling...hence the "class by itself" comment.

If there are others like the Tonelab though...I would love to know about them!:D (but I think Vox has a patent...)

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

OK, I just plugged into my Blue Angel with the Tonelab. I tried it in all different configurations and didn't like it. It was very blanketed and the levels were outrageous, but that is the only way they sound good through headphones. More to come. I really want to direct record, but someone beat me on an ebay bid for a Multi-track recorder today.

Any luck going through the amp Porkchop?

• Members

I have a Korg AX100G. The Tonelab seems to have a lot of the same functions and limitations (mainly not being able to use effects together e.g. wah and vibe). Has anyone compared the two since they're made by the same company? What are the differences besides programabilty, software, tubes etc?

Archived