The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, i normally don't like dirt in repeats.
but sometimes i want a dark-colored somewhat dirty delay and the FX90 does that poy-fectly!

but i do actually LIKE digital delay, esp on good units like the DD20, which has the cleanest and the most accurate repeats i've heard. i use digi for longer (700-900ms) delays and analog (or sim) for shorter.

how is that dml anyway? i like those Ibanez 10s and masters--good''n'cheap!

• Members
how is that dml anyway? i like those Ibanez 10s and masters--good''n'cheap!

Good and cheap? {censored}, I paid almost 150 for it. they are going up in price bigtime...though i saw one go on ebay for about 80 an hour away from me a week or so later that kinda pissed me off.

I love modulation in delay...i'm also a big fan of the edge though ;)

It's not dirty, but its very warm, even for digital...I love it, you have to use modest amounts of modulation and settings to get it to work right but once i had a perfect setting i didn't turn on my dd-20 for a week or so. just one setting for everything made it sound so awesome...even a cool phaser infront like my pigtronix got me some awesome sounds..just wish i could figure out my issue with the distorting..might be all my clean boost pedals and the line and isntrument level signals screwing up.

• Members

oh yeah, the dml and dfl are the only expensive ones. i saw a dml for $50 at apawn shop but plugged it in and it didn't work. :( and digipedals are iffy if not working.

i have a flanger and chorus/flange (FLL and CCL) from that era. CCL's cool but i'm not a chorus guy, but the FLL is SOOOO cool. it's a fairly subtle flanger but on extreme settings it does sirens, ring mods, ghost fx, voices. it's my "secret weapon."

i think the dml is supposed to be similar, no?

• Members

this thread is a bit too long for me too check if this has been discussed... so...

today I was messing around with the "dual" function
I wondered if having both the short and long delay setting set at the same time would produce a double tracked feel
it kind of did

I tried it out using some od and a setting of 6ms (nice plate reverbish sound)
effect level to taste, noon to 3:00
feedback level all the way off

• Members

hm, i'll check that out.

usually artificial double tracking via delay is done with just one delay at between 20-35ms. either 27 or 28ms is usually the "magic number" for producers.
with the DD20 i do it w/ analog, effect level between 9 and 12 o'clock, repeats almost 0.

• Members
Originally posted by StrykeBack

Good and cheap? {censored}, I paid almost 150 for it. they are going up in price bigtime...though i saw one go on ebay for about 80 an hour away from me a week or so later that kinda pissed me off.

I love modulation in delay...i'm also a big fan of the edge though
;)

It's not dirty, but its very warm, even for digital...I love it, you have to use modest amounts of modulation and settings to get it to work right but once i had a perfect setting i didn't turn on my dd-20 for a week or so. just one setting for everything made it sound so awesome...even a cool phaser infront like my pigtronix got me some awesome sounds..just wish i could figure out my issue with the distorting..might be all my clean boost pedals and the line and isntrument level signals screwing up.

Check your power supply, i had a similar issue with my Boss PS-3 Pitch Shifter Delay once too, after i started using the Boss Adapter, the problem just went away.....

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

that's what i disliked about the DL4 analog. repeats distort but artificially. i use a DOD FX90 for dirty sounds, but if you do the ABY thing that Ivor The Engine Driver described and run the effect output thru and OD you'd get a similar sound.

you might try the +4db setting. the extra volume MIGHT be enough to dirty the sound. ???

Very very good suggestion, ill try it out tonite...

• Members

Check your power supply, i had a similar issue with my Boss PS-3 Pitch Shifter Delay once too, after i started using the Boss Adapter, the problem just went away.....

I'm using a godlyke for all my pedals, perhaps i'l try and borrow a friends and power it by itself, or maybe drop a battery into it to see if that changes anything..I know there is a voltage control along with 5 other trim pots inside the pedal, one for compression, eq, and repeats as well.

• Members

Originally posted by StrykeBack

I'm using a godlyke for all my pedals, perhaps i'l try and borrow a friends and power it by itself, or maybe drop a battery into it to see if that changes anything..I know there is a voltage control along with 5 other trim pots inside the pedal, one for compression, eq, and repeats as well.

There was a similar thread a long time back about the Godlyke power supply apprently causing EH Holy Grails to hum. I would think thats the reason, do post back here if youve solved the problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

Are you troubled that you cannot stop and restart loops with your DD-20? Well, weep no longer.... as long as if you have an ABY spilitter box.

Use the ABY box after your delay and set the DD-20 to feed the clean signal out the A output and the wet/delayed signal out the B output. Then create your loop in SOS mode... and play over it -- having your splitter box set in "Y" mode (allowing both channels to pass. Then, if you want to stop your loop -- just mute the B channel on the splitter box... and if you want to restart it... unmute it, and voila it's back.

You can do the same thing if you have an amp with two inputs... just run the A channel into one input, and the B channel into something with a mute function (like a tuner) and then into the other input.

An update to this post...

This does indeed work, but a few comments and observations. First, using an ABY box in this manner will result in a volume drop when both channels are engaged. So, if you're doing this, the SOS/looping sounds will be significantly quieter than just the uneffected sound of your guitar going through just the "A" side of the box.

So... I experimented with the second method I listed above: running both outs not into an ABY box, but directly into the amp (2 different inputs). Like Jetking, my amp has a high and low input, so I ran the dry signal into the low one and the wet signal into my tuner (which has a mute function) and then into the high side. This worked much better for my purposes, as I used my tuner as the mute switch and was able to "equalize" the volume mix of the wet and dry sounds using the E.Level control on the DD-20.

Anyway, I recommend that method if you want to do this. It works really well for muting and unmuting loops... Note: you are not "pausing" the loop... i.e., the loop keeps playing even though it's muted, so when you kick it back in, it doesn't necessarily restart in the exact same place in its cycle where it was stopped. This could be problematic, I suppose, as I would imagine that in most cases a person would want to control precisely where the loop begins... but I guess the answer is to watch those progress-indicator zeros on the DD-20's LED display.

If anyone has a better way to stop and restart loops, let us know.

• Members

long ago i had a DD-20 and loved it, but need to do lots of on-the-fly loops so the DL4 was needed.

away went my dd-20.

but now the boss is back, so SOON, so very SOON you shall have my long list of settings...

we should make a database to hold all these settings...

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

long ago i had a DD-20 and loved it, but need to do lots of on-the-fly loops so the DL4 was needed.

away went my dd-20.

but now the boss is back, so SOON, so very SOON you shall have my long list of settings...

we should make a database to hold all these settings...

long ago i had a DL4 and hated it; i need to do lots of on-the-fly loops so the DD20 was needed.

no, really! i don't get why some think it's harder to loop with the Boss. you step on it and you step on it again. that's it! also, the SOS layers don't start fading after a while like on the DL4. and all of the other stuff--reverse, 1/2 time, etc. wasn't useful to me. and i think MANUAL MODE is more important than starting/stopping a loop.

in any case, both are delay pedals--looping is sort of a bonus.

but i think this IS that database, preservation. so post em if ya got 'em!

• Members

oh, yeah, i mentioned this somewhere--either in another thread or on another site, i think. so i'll post it here too.

do you want
100% wet output?
with
full volume control?!

yr DD20 must be set for stereo A=dry B=wet.
take that ABY box that Ivor The Engine Driver told you to get and then told you not to use ( :) ). you can get a simple passive one for $10-20 on ebay.
in this example jack A=dry signal and jack B=wet.
drill a hole on top, put in potentiometer. conncect wires from input jack A to the pot and the pot to the output. B can be wired directly to the output jack or to the switch. (connecting it to the switch allows for cutting of the trails abruptly!) obviously, there are a few options. you can also wire A to the switch, etc., depending on yr needs. using a pot for each input will help resolve vol issues that may arise (as Ivor The Engine Driver described).

in fact, you don't actually need an AB box for this at all--just any old sturdy box with a potentiometer on it! run the A (dry) output to the box's input, input jack to the pot, pot to the output.

EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY!!!

now you can do spacey shoegazer swells and cascades of DD20 bliss!

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

hm, i'll check that out.

usually artificial double tracking via delay is done with just one delay at between 20-35ms. either 27 or 28ms is usually the "magic number" for producers.

with the DD20 i do it w/ analog, effect level between 9 and 12 o'clock, repeats almost 0.

well...?

• Members

gr8fuldodd:

i tried yr "double track" setting. it does make a nice doubling effect. sorta like a pitchshifter set to +/- 0 octave--just a literal doubling of the signal.

the 27-28ms setting is more of a "slightly off" doubletrack effect, simulating the way a 2nd track of the same part will be just a wee bit off.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

LOOP DU JOUR!!

i've found delay settings work better for looping than dedicated loopers-with the DD20 and other pedals. the main thing is the transition. if you play a 4 second riff just once with the feedback at 100% and let the intitial note ring out a bit it will smooth out the transition because it's delaying that note too--as opposed to a looper which can only start and stop recording abrubtly.

now make yr DD20 do RC 20XL tricks...
here's my recipe for removing the last layer of the loop...

this is a lot easier with a separate tap tempo switch. johnson makes em for 10 bucks.

set yr dd20 to twist, 100% feedback, 23 secs of delay time.
play a neat progression. it will repeat ad infinitum

now switch to warp. the progression continues due to seemless delay. if you switch it with the mode knob the time will remain the same as in the previous mode.
play a nice solo line with the feedback at 50% or so. now hit the left stomper to make the repeats continue. let go to let that "loop" layer fade away!

here's my recipe for removing the FIRST layer....
"loop" a melodic line in twist mode as above.
do as above but set the warp at 100% feedback. "loop" a counterpoint line, switch back to twist and the 1st line will disappear.

try this out, get a hang of it, then start adding/removing multiple layers...your robert fripp/terry riley/steve reich/one man band fantasies will come true!

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

good stuff.

figured Sasquatch would have some input seeing that this thing changed his life and all...

yeah. where's a good sasquatch when you need one...

give him time. he just got it and the lounge has been dormant since he got it i think.

Archived