The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Members

Here is how I am using mine currently. :)

I leave the manual mode on S.O.S.
My presets are:
1. Tape Echo (I don't remember if it is one head or two)
2. Digital (Standard) Delay (long)
3. Reverse delay (I am gonna try the ring mod thing here)
4. Modulated delay

I use the SOS a lot with my band, and I sometimes kick it over to preset one while leaving the loop on so I can solo with the tape echo. When I want a different sound, I just switch to the preset I want. I will post my tape echo settings tomorrow (got to look them up), I made a REALLY great sounding preset.
The only thing I don't like about the DD-20 is when I create a loop, switch over to preset #1, then kick on my amp overdrive, the loop distorts too, not just my preset delay. I think I can solve this by sending the B: Wet output to my Mesa, and run the A: Dry output to a second amp, so it stays clean. I'm going to borrow a amp this week to try that. If it does, I'm gonna buy a Fender Blues Deluxe, I've been wanting one anyway, this will give me a reason to justify it. :D

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

Here is how I am using mine currently.
:)

I leave the manual mode on S.O.S.

My presets are:

1. Tape Echo (I don't remember if it is one head or two)

2. Digital (Standard) Delay (long)

3. Reverse delay (I am gonna try the ring mod thing here)

4. Modulated delay

I use the SOS a lot with my band, and I sometimes kick it over to preset one while leaving the loop on so I can solo with the tape echo. When I want a different sound, I just switch to the preset I want. I will post my tape echo settings tomorrow (got to look them up), I made a REALLY great sounding preset.

The only thing I don't like about the DD-20 is when I create a loop, switch over to preset #1, then kick on my amp overdrive, the loop distorts too, not just my preset delay. I think I can solve this by sending the B: Wet output to my Mesa, and run the A: Dry output to a second amp, so it stays clean. I'm going to borrow a amp this week to try that. If it does, I'm gonna buy a Fender Blues Deluxe, I've been wanting one anyway, this will give me a reason to justify it.
:D

OR you can run the dry signal to an OD pedal then to the A of an AB box and the wet signal to the B.

OR you can run an fx lood to yr preamp then back the the dd20.

OR you can put yr OD stomper in front of the dd20

OR...

• Members

O.K., my contribution to the thread, I don't think this has been mentioned yet. When using SOS, you can't loop a delayed riff without using another delay pedal in conjunction with the DD-20, right?

Wrong, I figured it out.

Run your guitar cable into the A input. Then run a 1 foot cable from the A (Mono) output of the DD-20 into the B input. Then run another cable from the B output of the DD-20 to your amp. Make sure you are running wet stereo outs.
Now loop a riff. Kick it over to preset one and turn on the delay. Voila, the loop is now delayed via the delay you have programmed in preset one. Turn off the delay, and the loop is now dry again. When you solo over the loop with preset one on, it actually doubles the amount of repeats, but it is still timesynced to the delayed loop, so you don't have to worry about tap tempo.
I hope this was helpful.......

By the way, the ring mod setting is pure candy, thanks a lot! :)

• Members

O.K., my contribution to the thread, I don't think this has been mentioned yet. When using SOS, you can't loop a delayed riff without using another delay pedal in conjunction with the DD-20, right?

Wrong, I figured it out.

Run your guitar cable into the A input. Then run a 1 foot cable from the A (Mono) output of the DD-20 into the B input. Then run another cable from the B output of the DD-20 to your amp. Make sure you are running wet stereo outs.

Now loop a riff. Kick it over to preset one and turn on the delay. Voila, the loop is now delayed via the delay you have programmed in preset one. Turn off the delay, and the loop is now dry again. When you solo over the loop with preset one on, it actually doubles the amount of repeats, but it is still timesynced to the delayed loop, so you don't have to worry about tap tempo.

By the way, the ring mod setting is pure candy, thanks a lot!

NICE ONE, SASQUATCH!
i use a dod fx90 in front of the dd20 for delays in the loop but i'm sure yr suggestion offers a whole lot more...

• Members

Wrong, I figured it out.

By the way, the ring mod setting is pure candy, thanks a lot!

I found this worked well but added a little hiss into my setup, anyone else found this?

• Members

hey, im thinking of getting one of these things but im put off by the fact that i have to hold one of the pedals for two seconds, then tap in the tempo, if i want to do tap tempo.

Is there a quicker way? I already have an external footswitch which i hear can do the job - somehow...

Its all a bit confuing. All i want is an instantly accesable tap tempo, with at least one other instantly accesable effect (maybe for solos, or reverse or something) and the ability to do some loop stuff without loosing any of that

:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Vomortis

hey, im thinking of getting one of these things but im put off by the fact that i have to hold one of the pedals for two seconds, then tap in the tempo, if i want to do tap tempo.

Is there a quicker way? I already have an external footswitch which i hear can do the job - somehow...

Its all a bit confuing. All i want is an instantly accesable tap tempo, with at least one other instantly accesable effect (maybe for solos, or reverse or something) and the ability to do some loop stuff without loosing any of that

:confused:

Simple, the footswitch goes into the exp jack on the dd20 and acts as the tap tempo. The second switch on the dd20 just switches between regular and one of the presets.

• Members

Originally posted by VoodooChild24

Anyone knows the settings to generate that signature U2 delay? Songs like "Where the streets have no name and In the name of love?"

Thanks.

I just use this

- Standard Mode

- E. Level = Max

- F. Back = 9 O'Clock

- Tone = 12 O'Clock

- Delay Time = 480

sound good to me

• Members

Originally posted by Vomortis

so what setting (manual or a preset, or either) do i need to activate the tap tempo. Or is it activated as soon as i start tapping?

you can tap in any mode, i.e. analog, standard, etc.--just not SOS. just plug and tap!

i like carling-style stompers because you can actually feel the click so you know exactly when the tempo is tapped.

• Members

i think i've mentioned this on another thread but i'll mention it here since it's the DD20 lounge and all...

LOOP DU JOUR!
REMOVE LAYERS FROM YOUR LOOP!
just like the rc-20 ONLY BETTER!

these procedures are slightly more involved and may take 1/2 an hour to get used to but once you get it you can do your best eno/fripp or terry riley impersonations or become a one-man band.
they're best executed with an external tap switch.

TO START:
in twist mode set the delay time to 23 seconds, max the feedback. play your first layer and tap the tempo. this creates your first layer.

now switch to to warp mode by turning the mode knob. the first loop layer continues due to seemless switching. in addition, the delay time will be the same as the previous loop so that your loops will be synchronized. now play your 2nd layer. since the feedback is still maxed, the phrase is looped.

now here comes the fun...

your options:

1. turn down the feedback. the 2nd layer fades gradually, the 1st layer continues. now you can add a new 2nd layer!

2. switch back to twist. this stops the 1st layer but, due to seemless switching, lets the 2nd loop play on!

3. turn down the feedback slightly as in option 1 but then play a new 2nd layer and depress and hold the left stomper. in warp mode this increases the feedback so the loop repeats as long as your foot is on the stomper!

4. now your 2nd layer can be longer than your 1st! for your 2nd layer in warp mode, instead of remaining in quarter note mode, switch to full note.

5. let the 2nd layer play on but decrease the delay time by turning the knob. this creates nice random glitchy sounds--for those of you who like nice random glitchy sounds.

well, before you start having multiple delayed orgasms, i'll leave it at that. obviously, there are a lot more options. these will start you off in the right direction though. i'll post more if any really nice ones come to mind!

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

has anyone mentioned that you can do a

REVERSE LOOP?!

set to "reverse," max your feedback, and tap your tempo!

presto!

this doesn't seem very new at all.

you can do that on any delay with reverse. on the dl4 you can loop it, play it back reverse... i could play chords forwards, have a reverse part going, and solo over it.... i can mess with the speed, have delay going at the same time without having to do anything to it.... blah blah blah.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

has anyone mentioned that you can do a

REVERSE LOOP?!

set to "reverse," max your feedback, and tap your tempo!

presto!

this is the first thing i did when i opened up the box:o

made some neat reverse loops, then kept them goign while playing forward over them.

i love this pedal. very easy to use. i havent touched the manual yet and ive got a pretty good idea of all the features.

Archived