The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting comments about the SMMH...I was planning on picking one of those up hopefully in a month or so to complement my DD20 and Nova. Worth it? Pretending money and board space aren't objects.

I wouldn't say so. If I were you, I'd get a really nice analog delay to go with your two digital beasts. The only thing I miss on the SMMH were the looping capabilities. The delay was cool too because it was pretty unique, but I didn't really like it that much.

I find the DD-20 to sound better, have more options, and be easier to get a useable sound with. I also like being able to switch presets on the fly.

The dd-20 sounds a bit duller than the SMMH, which I actually like. I'd say the SMMH is very hi-fi. Very clear repeats. Nice sounding, but just not my thing. If there is anything else you'd like to know let me know.

On a side note, is there a way to save a loop on the dd-20? i.e you make a nice loop, then you turn the dd-20 off, and then when you turn it back on your loop is still playing. This is the main thing I miss about the SMMH.

• Members

theincredible-

if you have the feedback on max and still isn't repeating infinitely, then I don't have any clue what the problem could be. Mine does repeat infinitely so... faulty pedal?

Yeah, feedback full rotated still died out after 3 to 4 repeats. Tried lots of different settings and figured that it was a defective pedal. It also made strange digital garbles and high-pitched whining, not all the time, but random. I sent it back. I think I'll get the DL-4 again, which isn't too much more.

The idea of the loop patch you found seemed to work -- aside from the feedback drop off. If I was quick enough, I could play a simple phrase, tap out & in, and play another on top. It works, but without the infinite repeats, it was kind of useless as a looper.

• Members
The dd-20 sounds a bit duller than the SMMH, which I actually like. I'd say the SMMH is very hi-fi. Very clear repeats. Nice sounding, but just not my thing. If there is anything else you'd like to know let me know.

On a side note, is there a way to save a loop on the dd-20? i.e you make a nice loop, then you turn the dd-20 off, and then when you turn it back on your loop is still playing. This is the main thing I miss about the SMMH.

You might be right about an analog delay, although I mostly use analog simulations on the digitals. I actually love the SMMH's sound much more than the DD-20, but that might be the honeymoon stage talking. Something about that filter used as for high-pass just makes me :love:

But then again I'm currently only using one of the DD-20's presets for actual "delay" sound...the others are ring mod/octave/chorus. A little unorthodox but it's working for me at the moment.

As far as I know there isn't a way to save loops on the DD-20.

• Members
Tap tempo was the minor problem of my question. I agree, an external tap tempo would be easier, but if I can set the right pedal for tap tempo, it's all for the better.

Theres a mode on the DD20 where you use an external pedal to turn the effect on and off (I think you hold down right pedal on startup), and the right pedal is permanently in tap mode, and you have to press both pedals to select a memory, then the right pedal to make it active. It kind of alternates between the selected one and the manual one.

Anyway I think even if you dont use an external pedal, you could use the left switch to turn the effect on and off still.

• Members
Lol yeah they were fun to mess around with. I really liked the vibrato setting but it can only do fastish vibrato and has a huge output increase when in output mode 2 and the cable is in output B, so I was a bit bummed out by that. I'll just get the behringer vb-2 clone.
:)

One of my favorite settings is that ring mod setting posted earlier with 10ms... I love it. Bit of a volume drop, but that can be fixed if I was ever going to use it live.

Overall, I REALLY like the DD-20 better than my SMMH. Easier to use, better sounds, more useable sounds... it's just better. IMO

How do you get a vibrato setting?

• Members

How do you get a vibrato setting?

it was on a link xanuda posted 2 pages ago.

Sorry to hear that incredible. Sucks when those kinds of things happen (faulty units). Only reason I wouldn't get a dl4 is because I've heard of reliability issues, and I can't afford to replace it every 2 years or whatever.

That's a bummer that you can't save loops. Oh well.

• Members

Glad you like the SMMH, xanadu. It was way harder for me to program that then the dd-20, and the high pass filter is unique, but I don't know.. I like the dd-20 better. :idk: I like the dullness of it, as I said before. And the tape mode with 2 heads. and the modulation is infinitely better than the smmh's, IMO. On the smmh it's just one really, really slow setting. Too slow to be cool.

Also, when I did really short delay times with a longish feedback on the smmh, the pitch would deviate on the repeats, and not in a good way. It sounded like it was glitching out, but not musically at all.

How do you get an octave sound on the dd-20? I find that when using the dd-20 as a chorus, it lacks. Not deep enough. But I like it a lot just as a modulated delay.

• Members

Also, when I did really short delay times with a longish feedback on the smmh, the pitch would deviate on the repeats, and not in a good way. It sounded like it was glitching out, but not musically at all.

I assume you're talking about the 300ms + Mod mode? I haven't played with that one so much yet but it does seem a bit unruly. The new Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport can do this, but it has a lot of control over it. I have mine dialed in for a more subtle pitch deviation that adds a sort of "intrigue"...that's the best way to describe what it sounds like to me.

And it's very true, the chorus isn't particularly deep on the DD-20, it's more just kinda a novel idea. The Nova's modulation covers that aspect of delay for me so I just started assigning random odd sounds to the Giga. As for octave, it's a bit faked but fun; dual delay with the long at about 100ms and short between 4 and 10ms depending on the tone you want. Sounds very ring moddish.

• Members
I assume you're talking about the 300ms + Mod mode?

Any of the modes, actually. The 300ms + mod mode had nothing subtle about it. :p

the repeats like glitched out, moved up a tad, glitched out, then moved back down. I could never get the repeats to just fade out naturally when using 100 ms or something.

Oh, do you have the disaster transport? That's the next delay I want, and then I'll be set for delay. Actually, my board itself is almost finished (I think)...
Fuzz Factory-> dod 280 compressor-> boss od-3-> turbo rat w/ lm308-> amp fx loop send -> behringer vibrato -> dd-20 -> small stone -> voodoo labs trem -> disaster transport -> rv-3 -> fx loop return

At least, that's the plan right now. I might switch up the disaster transport and dd-20, though. I can't think of anything else I'd need/want. If I have space left on the board, I'll find something but as of now (or then, when I actually get all those pedals... have most of them atm, but not all) I'm good.

Can you use the extra output and input as an effects loop somehow, so that only the delay gets affected with a phaser or something?

No clue. Sorry!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I really f***ing love mine, to begin with, but I have a couple of bits that I need a little bit of help with...

I have recently purchased the first amp that I have ever wanted to use the OD channel of rather than stompboxes (its a mesa express 5:50 2x12 and its THE BALLS), but I like my delays, as in can't live without them, so for the first time ever I'm gona use an effects loop. Now the express, for all its loveliness, is preset to the rackmount fx loop output, if you get me? there isn't a +4/-20db switch (though I forget which is for stompers and which is for rackmounts), its just set to the rackmount level. So how do I set the DD-20 to work with it? I know there are a few modes that it can simulate, but I wanted to be sure before I started plugging my two favourite pieces of equipment together in a new way!

Also, will the dd-20 in the correct mode compensate for any other stompers I put thru the fx loop? I'm gonna have :

korg Dt10 - MXR phase90 (r28) - EHX small clone - empress tremolo -DD20

thru the loop, will any of those react badly to a mismatched input?

Finally, I want a second delay to make noises with (as you can't do the pitch-shift thing with delay time knob on the DD-20, its only downfall) and use with the SOS feature, and my eyes were drawn to a boss PS-2/3 as it has a bit more versatility with the pitch shifter, but can a pitch shifter be used in an effects loop? That might be an obvious question, so sorry in advance!

Thanks for your time!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Guys,

I had dd20 for a couple of months, I really love it.

Do you have any delay settings for playing nuno's "flight of the wounded bee" in the intro of Extreme's "he-man woman hater"?

I want to be able to play-it with tap tempo, so I can play that song and then change tempo to play Loudness' "25 days from home". I can't figure out how to use it with tap tempo. I also don't know if it's quarter note or else..

Please help me, guys..
:(

Thanks

Bump..

Please help me... :confused:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a new cool setting you guys might want to try.
It somewhat sounds like a triggered delay, and works really nice on slow stuff.

Mode: reverse
Dealy Time: 293 & half note triplet
Effect level: 4 o'clock
Tone: 2 (pointer facing "Tape")

Play arpeggios, let the notes ring and tell me what do you think ;)
:wave:

• 2 months later...

Archived