The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hmm, Funky, if running two delays simultaneously would you suggest the dd for long delays and the other for short? And which goes first in the chain. I guess it's probably a trial and error thing.

You know, it's definitely fun to experiment around with, but I would recommend doing the DD-20 for long and SMM for short, since the DD has more time on tap.

I also run DMM->DD-20 for several reasons:

-I can loop DMM'ed parts via the DD-20 sound-on-sound mode for different textures and build layers with varying delay settings.
-I can use pretty much just the modulation on the DMM (e.g., all wet signal, no feedback), and the DD-20 can act as a nice delay in just about any mode.
-I like doing dual delay setups better this way for no real reason other than it sounds better to me this way.

That said, there can be a lot of fun running DD-20->DMM when you have some loops running on the DD-20 and you fiddle with the delay time, modulation, and feedback on the DMM to have parts vibrato and self-oscillate in interesting ways.

I'd say, if you're up for it, try both ways, because it can be a lot of fun. :)

• Members

Hi guys! I just made a new account just because of the DD-20. Just got one!

Initially I wanted a pretty basic pedal and was going for the DD-6, but for some extra money I saw this great opportunity to go for a DD-20 with all the great features. I'm still learning alot but it's tough.

I'm really new to this whole delay pedal thing and I was wondering how I can make a nice simple Petrucci/Vai lead type preset. Any ideas?

...petrucci/vai...nice...simple...

nope, sorry....no ideas..

-dh

• Members

The only thing i've found was putting it on either std/anlg/tape and having the effect level on 7-8 and feedback at 9-11 tone at 10. and sometimes then I still want it to be abit more subtle.

• Members
You know, it's definitely fun to experiment around with, but I would recommend doing the DD-20 for long and SMM for short, since the DD has more time on tap.

I also run DMM->DD-20 for several reasons:

-I can loop DMM'ed parts via the DD-20 sound-on-sound mode for different textures and build layers with varying delay settings.

-I can use pretty much just the modulation on the DMM (e.g., all wet signal, no feedback), and the DD-20 can act as a nice delay in just about any mode.

-I like doing dual delay setups better this way for no real reason other than it sounds better to me this way.

That said, there can be a lot of fun running DD-20->DMM when you have some loops running on the DD-20 and you fiddle with the delay time, modulation, and feedback on the DMM to have parts vibrato and self-oscillate in interesting ways.

I'd say, if you're up for it, try both ways, because it can be a lot of fun.
:)

Thanks, man. BTW, I know my question sounded kinda dumb considering the SMM only goes up to 300ms but I've also got a DE7 If I needed a second unit capable of longer delay. You know, honestly, I like the SMM more for the chorus than echo anyway. I can't wait to experiment with all three!

• Members
Thanks, man. BTW, I know my question sounded kinda dumb considering the SMM only goes up to 300ms but I've also got a DE7 If I needed a second unit capable of longer delay. You know, honestly, I like the SMM more for the chorus than echo anyway. I can't wait to experiment with all three!

My pleasure. :)

I'd love to try out a DE-7 sometime, since everyone praises them and they are so inexpensive. It would make a lot of sense to have the SMM do chorus when you have two other great delays at your disposal. :thu:

• Members

I've been part of this forum for a long time and its time to get rid of my pedal board setup. Anybody needing these delays feel free to give me an offer, I love delays but will probably never get to play live and I have Echoboy in Protools for all delay needs.

DD-20, DML10 II, and a yamaha UD-stomp (can't believe these have been going for 500 bucks on ebay!)

Someone mentioned the de-7. both guitarists and bass player in bands i've played in have all had that pedal and love it. Very simple and cheap yet sounds great.
The modulation on the dd-20 is pretty glossy while a dml from ibanez is a little more gritty or organic.

• Members

I've been part of this forum for a long time and its time to get rid of my pedal board setup. Anybody needing these delays feel free to give me an offer, I love delays but will probably never get to play live and I have Echoboy in Protools for all delay needs.

DD-20, DML10 II, and a yamaha UD-stomp (can't believe these have been going for 500 bucks on ebay!)

Someone mentioned the de-7. both guitarists and bass player in bands i've played in have all had that pedal and love it. Very simple and cheap yet sounds great.

The modulation on the dd-20 is pretty glossy while a dml from ibanez is a little more gritty or organic.

Cool, how much are you thinking for the DML? I've heard great things about them.

• Members

Your band days are over? That sucks. Let me guess, you're getting married and/or having a baby.:D That's what happened to me anyway.:cry:

• Members

Hey funky I found this Petrucci clip, and he has a DD-20 in there. When it shows the settings toward the end of the clip, I tried dialing in the same exact thing with the same tempo, but it sounds overwhelming on my setup and on his it sounds perfect. Can you check it out?

• Members
Hey funky I found this Petrucci clip, and he has a DD-20 in there. When it shows the settings toward the end of the clip, I tried dialing in the same exact thing with the same tempo, but it sounds overwhelming on my setup and on his it sounds perfect. Can you check it out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQbC8h3JRgk

Sure thing. I'll have to check it out later, but I'll be sure to remind myself to come back to this thread.

FWIW, I was always surprised at how wet Petrucci's signal is when he's demo-ing the effects solo. If it was me, I'd dial it back a lot in a band setting.

Of course, these are just thoughts before I've seen the clip. :)

• Members

From GC.com:

Thank you for your recent order. Because of some start-up problems at our new automated distribution center, we regret to tell you that we've had a delay in shipping your order. We take pride in our normally quick delivery time and are working as fast as humanly possible to get your merchandise to you. We expect to be resuming our usual same-day shipping very soon.

We truly appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. We will keep you informed of any further delays, but expect all orders to be shipping within approximately 10 days.

Thanks for your patience, understanding, and continued support.

The Guitar Center Team

:mad:

• Members
We truly appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. We will keep you informed of any further delays, but expect all orders to be shipping within approximately 10 days.

:(

That stinks, man, though I find that part of their message funny in a weird way considering you ordered a DD-20.

Hope you can get it relatively soon.

EDIT: And beaten to the punch. :)

• Members

I was was tricked. I was going to order from MF but at least their website informed me before hand that there would be a delay so I went with guitar center. Oh well.

And yeah, got to love the irony of their message.

You could always cancel the order and buy it from somewhere else that would do a price match and all, if you wanted.

• Members
Still not here.

While I'm waiting I've got some noobish questions. Can I use my dc brick or one spot to power it or would you guys suggest the psa adpter? And what would the benefit be in using the FS-SU footswitch? Tap tempo or spot delay? Does it do both?

I think the cleanest way to do it would be to power the DD-20 by its own adapter or an out on, say, a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power. Depending on how much your other pedals draw, you might be able to get it powered sufficiently with the Brick or 1-spot, but I haven't tried this myself.

I actually opted for cheap keyboard sustain pedal rather than the recommended Boss footswitch and couldn't be happier. I use it for tap tempo so that I could free up the right pedal to switch presets. I'd have to read the manual, but I believe that there may be a way to switch those functions though.

• Members

Guys,

I had dd20 for a couple of months, I really love it.

Do you have any delay settings for playing nuno's "flight of the wounded bee" in the intro of Extreme's "he-man woman hater"?

I want to be able to play-it with tap tempo, so I can play that song and then change tempo to play Loudness' "25 days from home". I can't figure out how to use it with tap tempo. I also don't know if it's quarter note or else..

Please help me, guys.. :(

Thanks

• Members

I just purchased a DD-20 last night... Like New for $115. I love it, but I am trying to figure out a way to rig a "spot delay" effect. Basically I want to use a volume or expression pedal or a momentary footswitch to kick in the delay at the end of certain phrases. Any idea how to wire that?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

A cool thing to do is to put it on infinite feedback or whatever it is that keeps it going forever. Then, push down the time scroll knob and turn it to the left to whatever you want, but I like to have it decrease at about 50ms/s. Keep it there (I'm sure you know the push function of this knob at this point) until it goes down to none. When it gets to none... well, you'll hear something cool. Try it out.

Archived