The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Members
That's pretty cool.

Strangely enough, I have a Space Echo, a Boss DD-20, and a copy of "Diary of a Madman", albeit the studio release. Any comparable tones you can use as reference for such a setting?

On the studio they use AMS delay effects and echoplex, live randy use eventide,roland tape echo,yamaha delay,korg tape echo and tube echoplex on out board effects...

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Teleman1985.....thanks for organizing the settings. I had a bunch of older ones printed off but missed a couple because of the size of this thread ;)

I wish there was a way to hook up an external device so you could save more than 4 presets + manual setting. That would be fantastic!

• Members

yr DD20 must be set for stereo A=dry B=wet.

take that ABY box that
Ivor The Engine Driver
told you to get and then told you not to use (
:)
). you can get a simple passive one for $10-20 on ebay.

in this example jack A=dry signal and jack B=wet.

drill a hole on top, put in potentiometer. conncect wires from input jack A to the pot and the pot to the output. B can be wired directly to the output jack or to the switch. (connecting it to the switch allows for cutting of the trails abruptly!) obviously, there are a few options. you can also wire A to the switch, etc., depending on yr needs. using a pot for each input will help resolve vol issues that may arise (as Ivor The Engine Driver described).

in fact, you don't actually need an AB box for this at all--just any old sturdy box with a potentiometer on it! run the A (dry) output to the box's input, input jack to the pot, pot to the output.

EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY!!!

now you can do spacey shoegazer swells and cascades of DD20 bliss!

i'm only in here to read up on what the DD-20 can do, and i'm up to page 10 so far where the above message was posted.

i think the below blend pedal will do exactly this function (if i understand the concept corectly):
Napalm Whammy Blender

the whammy's have a wet out and dry out, so i guess if the DD-20 can be setup for the same, this blender pedal will get you 100% wet.. so to speak :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi guys! I just made a new account just because of the DD-20. Just got one!

Initially I wanted a pretty basic pedal and was going for the DD-6, but for some extra money I saw this great opportunity to go for a DD-20 with all the great features. I'm still learning alot but it's tough.

I'm really new to this whole delay pedal thing and I was wondering how I can make a nice simple Petrucci/Vai lead type preset. Any ideas?

• Members

Hi guys! I just made a new account just because of the DD-20. Just got one!

Initially I wanted a pretty basic pedal and was going for the DD-6, but for some extra money I saw this great opportunity to go for a DD-20 with all the great features. I'm still learning alot but it's tough.

I'm really new to this whole delay pedal thing and I was wondering how I can make a nice simple Petrucci/Vai lead type preset. Any ideas?

I'd say that those guys generally use some big-buck rack digital delay jobs, but it's easy enough to cop the vibe with the DD-20 on standard mode.

I'd start off with tone all the way up, tap the tempo of the song (in quarter notes or triplets, depending on what feel you're going for), adjust the delay so that you can barely hear it, and set the feedback to have like 2 or 3 repeats.

Granted, it might depend on the song, but this should get you in the ballpark for much of their typical style, in my experience. Hope this helps.

• Members

I'd say that those guys generally use some big-buck rack digital delay jobs, but it's easy enough to cop the vibe with the DD-20 on standard mode.

I'd start off with tone all the way up, tap the tempo of the song (in quarter notes or triplets, depending on what feel you're going for), adjust the delay so that you can barely hear it, and set the feedback to have like 2 or 3 repeats.

Granted, it might depend on the song, but this should get you in the ballpark for much of their typical style, in my experience. Hope this helps.

Yeah thanks, thats what I was guessing. So I should have the E.level on almost nothing right? I saw settings before mentioning depth how does that work?

• Members
Yeah thanks, thats what I was guessing. So I should have the E.level on almost nothing right? I saw settings before mentioning depth how does that work?

Yep, I would go easy on the E.Level since it should really just add a little dimension to the playing without leaping out that there's delay going on.

By depth, do you mean in modulation mode, or are you talking another of the knobs?

starsailor803, the DD-20 is a great pedal, but I'd try one out along with the DL-4 and DMM if you have a chance. They all work a bit differently and suit different people's styles. That said, if I had to choose one, the DD-20 would be my choice (I have a DMM and have played a DL-4, for reference). :thu:

• Members

Oh Depth is only for modulation? how do I control it.

The preset im trying to work out is actually kinda harsh and well.. maybe there is a better way. I'm playing in front of the amp, not through an effects loop.

Can you maybe guide me and tell me exactly how you would set the knobs for that lead things I was talking about? thanks

• Members

Oh Depth is only for modulation? how do I control it.

The preset im trying to work out is actually kinda harsh and well.. maybe there is a better way. I'm playing in front of the amp, not through and effects loop.

Can you maybe guide me and tell me exactly how you would set the knobs for that lead things I was talking about? thanks

Yes, depth and rate are two parameters that only work for the modulated mode. In order to access them, I believe that you hold down the left pedal, which will bring the LED screen to either the depth or rate readout (I forget which offhand). It would have a prefix of "d" for depth and "r" for rate. In order to toggle between the two, while keeping the left pedal depressed, push in the delay time knob.

If you want to tame the delay's harshness, then there are several options you can do:

1.) Turn the "Tone" knob down. That will cut a bit of the stereotypical "digital" high-end so that it blends a little more.

2.) Use either the analog or tape modes. These will be a bit warmer sounding than the standard digital mode.

These options stray a bit from the Vai/Petrucci sound a little, but IMO, I think that they sound better for fattening up leads.

If you're playing with a fair amount of amp distortion and have the DD-20 in front of the pre-amp, then the delays will smear up more, since you're distorting both your guitar's original signal in addition to the repeats. The effects loop would be a more effective way of having the delay repeat the distorted signal. What amp are you using, out of curiosity?

If you want some exact settings, I can try to come up with some tonight when I go for band practice. I have to warn you, though, that I generally keep my DD-20 in front of the amp, but behind pedal dirt, so it may differ from your particular setup.

• Members

That's the thing I dont have an effects loop. I'll try messing around with the info you gave me...I have a Roland Cube 60, and some other cheap solidstate amp. Right now I'm using it with the Cube. Ide appreciate it if you can find some nice settings. thanks again

• Members
That's the thing I dont have an effects loop. I'll try messing around with the info you gave me...I have a Roland Cube 60, and some other cheap solidstate amp. Right now I'm using it with the Cube. Ide appreciate it if you can find some nice settings. thanks again

OK, so I take it that you get your dirt from the models on the Cube itself, or do you use pedals for your gain? If so, where is the DD-20 with respect to these pedals? That would help me figure out your setup a little. :)

• Members
starsailor803, the DD-20 is a great pedal, but I'd try one out along with the DL-4 and DMM if you have a chance. They all work a bit differently and suit different people's styles. That said, if I had to choose one, the DD-20 would be my choice (I have a DMM and have played a DL-4, for reference).
:thu:

I couldn't resist so I just ordered the DD-20. I really wanted a DMM but I just got a used SMM last week for $35 so that will stave off my MM gas for a while. I just figure the DD-20 will suite my needs perfectly.

• Members
I couldn't resist so I just ordered the DD-20. I really wanted a DMM but I just got a used SMM last week for $35 so that will stave off my MM gas for a while. I just figure the DD-20 will suite my needs perfectly.

:eek: Great score for $35! I think the SMM/DD-20 combo would be hard to beat, as I love having an analog/digital setup. It's especially cool to loop analog delayed parts with the DD-20's sound-on-sound mode as well. Have fun!

• Members
:eek:
Great score for $35! I think the SMM/DD-20 combo would be hard to beat, as I love having an analog/digital setup. It's especially cool to loop analog delayed parts with the DD-20's sound-on-sound mode as well. Have fun!

Well it was a good deal but the housing looks like {censored}. It over 20 years old. It's pretty beat up and has some rusting on it. I'm gonna try and rehouse it. But, yeah, it still works fine. Could be a cool match.

• Members

Well yeah for now I was using the distortion from the cube itself. I do have 2 other distortion pedals, an MT-2 and an AMT california sound. Would it be better to use it with a pedal?

• Members

Well yeah for now I was using the distortion from the cube itself. I do have 2 other distortion pedals, an MT-2 and an AMT california sound. Would it be better to use it with a pedal?

Not necessarily, as it's somewhat a preference thing. It's worth trying out, though, because delaying a distorted signal is a bit cleaner than distorting a delayed signal, if you know what I mean. Just my experience and perspective, though.

Archived