The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Members

Are you talking the flanger-ish sounds or the glitchy sounds when you turn the delay time knob? If not, perhaps I need to re-investigate.

Both. I find that setting the delay time to full with a flanger-type setting and making noise, twisting back and starting again can really get some things going. Glitches can be a lot of fun.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Both. I find that setting the delay time to full with a flanger-type setting and making noise, twisting back and starting again can really get some things going. Glitches can be a lot of fun.

I know what you mean now. That can be pretty neat. And, yes, glitches can be uber-fun. :cool:

• Members

Sorry if this has been addressed already here -- there are so many posts on this thread. I'm thinking about getting a DD-20, but am wondering if I will be able to power it up from my voodoo labs 1 power unit? Have other larger units that require 2 inputs Y'ed together to power from these units. Any advice on how this might work?

Many thanks.

Michael

• Members

Sorry if this has been addressed already here -- there are so many posts on this thread. I'm thinking about getting a DD-20, but am wondering if I will be able to power it up from my voodoo labs 1 power unit? Have other larger units that require 2 inputs Y'ed together to power from these units. Any advice on how this might work?

Many thanks.

Michael

DD-20 is 9V DC. Unfortunately, the mA requirements are quite high for this pedal. The VL PP 2+ has outputs with the mA requirements to run the DD-20 but the earlier versions don't.

• Members

but am wondering if I will be able to power it up from my voodoo labs 1 power unit?

The DD-20 was designed for a regular Boss PSA adapter. It requires around 180 ma. Check to see if your power supply can supply enough current for the DD-20 and your other pedals simultaneously.

• Members
The DD-20 was designed for a regular Boss PSA adapter. It requires around 180 ma. Check to see if your power supply can supply enough current for the DD-20 and your other pedals simultaneously.

Manual states 200ma for the DD-20, personally I would go over before I would starve anything, your results may vary? :wave:

• Members

Hey, everyone! Hope someone can help me out!

I've a Boss DD-20 which I use a lot for sound-on-sound overdubbing. The normal operation is to press pedal to start recording basic phrase, press pedal to stop recording and then hold pedal to start overdubbing. I was wondering if there is a way of setting it up, so that if I just hold the pedal down when I press it to stop recording, it would allow me to start overdubbing immediately.

The manual doesn't say anything about it, so for now the only technique I have is practicing a lightining fast pedal "double click" and hold which isn't very practical.

Any help with be immensely appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread, but I didn't find anything.

Cheers,

H

• Members

Manual states 200ma for the DD-20, personally I would go over before I would starve anything, your results may vary?

According to my multimeter, actual current draw is around 170-175 ma, depending on the mode. The Boss PSA supplies 200 ma.

I gave the 180 ma figure so that the user could calculate the total current draw including the DD-20 plus other effects.

• Members

Hey, everyone! Hope someone can help me out!

I've a Boss DD-20 which I use a lot for sound-on-sound overdubbing. The normal operation is to press pedal to start recording basic phrase, press pedal to stop recording and then hold pedal to start overdubbing. I was wondering if there is a way of setting it up, so that if I just hold the pedal down when I press it to stop recording, it would allow me to start overdubbing immediately.

The manual doesn't say anything about it, so for now the only technique I have is practicing a lightining fast pedal "double click" and hold which isn't very practical.

Any help with be immensely appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been addressed in this thread, but I didn't find anything.

Cheers,

H

I have actually achieved what you are seeking...but my two year old helped do it. Unfortunately i am not sure exactly what she did, but I was able to loop and overdub and overdub and overdub. I know it is possible, now to find out how!

• Members

I think once you've set up the first loop, you can just overdub after that, and if you don't stop the overdub it will just keep recording a fresh extra overdub every time the loop reaches the end and starts again. At least I think that's what happens.

• Members

Has anyone tried using the DD20 on a PP2(NOT a +)? It seems that the older one only has 100mA per output. It would be super disappointing if I couldn't use one with it.

Anyone offhand know how much a DL4 draws(for comparison)?

• Members
I think once you've set up the first loop, you can just overdub after that, and if you don't stop the overdub it will just keep recording a fresh extra overdub every time the loop reaches the end and starts again. At least I think that's what happens.

Thanks for your replies Lanefair and Cornfield, but I think I didn't express myself properly. I know how to overdub with the DD-20. The problem is that, after recording the first phrase, if you wanna overdub from the very beginning, you have to wait til it goes round the phrase once, and then, start recording. In other words, the process isn't continuous. I wish it to be seamless, i.e., as soon as I stop recording the first phrase, I immediately start recording the first overdub. I hope this explains my dilemna a bit better! :)

Cheers,

Hugo

• Members

can i use the right pedal for tap tempo and a separate footswitch for scrolling through the presets or is does it work vice versa? if so, do i need a momentary or latch type footswitch?

You can use the pedal plugged into the CTL jack to switch between presets, tap tempo, or turning effects on/off. The left pedal always turns effects on/off. The right pedal can be MANUAL or MEMORY. I have mine so the right pedal selects presets and the external pedal is tap. It works great.

Momentary does the trick. You can get one for under $10 at Radioshack (look for a keyboard sustain pedal).

• Members

Just got mine... this thing is looking sweet!

It's in the effects loop of my JSX... should I set it to the +4 db output mode or the -20 db output mode?

I found that it worked better with the +4 when using with a parallel loop and -20 when using in serial fx loop. You'll have to try them both with your amp. Sometimes it sounds good at +4 going into the front of the amp.

Archived