The Official DD-20 Lounge!! Settings, Secrets and Advice...

StrangeDay

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just curious here...for those using the sound-on-sound (overdub) facilities only on this pedal, why would you choose this over a dedicated looper? Is there something this does better or as opposed to an RC-X (or Jamman) unit, or is it just to have the normal delay stuff available if you want it? This pedal intrigues me for some reason, as if I am missing something somewhere...

• Members

Just curious here...for those using the sound-on-sound (overdub) facilities only on this pedal, why would you choose this over a dedicated looper? Is there something this does better or as opposed to an RC-X (or Jamman) unit, or is it just to have the normal delay stuff available if you want it? This pedal intrigues me for some reason, as if I am missing something somewhere...

...i got mine strictly as a delay pedal, although i am considering trading up to the new eventide box:

http://www.eventidestompboxes.com/

-dh

• Members

Just got mine and I'm in love with it already.

This is a long shot, but anyone got a setting that will roughly simulate a tremolo?

I don't know of any tremolo-type setting, but I always liked the Leslie-ish setting presented earlier in certain spots where I might use a tremolo.

For real tremolo, another unit would work much better, but you probably already know this.

• Members
The Eventide looks pretty interesting to me as well, albeit a bit pricey. Tell me though, does the DD-20 do a decent Rockabilly slapback echo and other tape echo-ish tricks?
:idea:

...works for me, although i am neither exceedingly fussy nor an analog purist/traditionalist.

-dh

• Members
...works for me, although i am neither exceedingly fussy nor an analog purist/traditionalist.

I currently have a Rocktron Short Timer which does slapback great, but it is really all it does well. If the DD-20 does this well and long delays too, could be a winner for me too. I'll have to check one out I guess. Damn GAS :eek:

• Members
I currently have a Rocktron Short Timer which does slapback great, but it is really all it does well. If the DD-20 does this well and long delays too, could be a winner for me too. I'll have to check one out I guess. Damn GAS
:eek:

Yes it does excellent slapback. I have an EM-5 which is one hell of a slapback pedal. I can set my dd-20 to NAIL the sounds there. :D

• Members

Okay folks, I have trawled all the way through this thread and took any settings which I think will be useful for myself (most of them), standardised them and made myself a sort of settings catalogue. I thought I would post it here as sort of a reference point for anyone who's interested and doesn't want to look through the whole thread. At the bottom I've also added the suggested settings from the boss manual, for anyone who may not have the manual or is to lazy to read it!

Thanks to everyone who's contributed - this stuff is fantastic!

Enjoy :thu:

The Edge Dual Delay:

Short Delay 1 :10 - 20ms
Long Delay : 350ms - onward

Ring Modulator:

E Level: Max
F Back: Zero
Tone: 12 o

• Members

teleman
thanks for the roundup man, i've had my trusty DD20 since the day they were released (literally). me and fourth floor were the first ones on this board to get one, ahh, the good old days,
anyway

i can't wait to pair up the new space echo Roland is releasing with my DD20:eek: :idea:

• Members
teleman

thanks for the roundup man, i've had my trusty DD20 since the day they were released (literally). me and fourth floor were the first ones on this board to get one, ahh, the good old days,

anyway

i can't wait to pair up the new space echo Roland is releasing with my DD20:eek:
:idea:

Cool!

I am sorta suspicious about the new space echo though. I'm thinking maybe they'll just take the tape delays outta the DD-20 and drop 'em straight into the new space echo. I'm a cynic though. If they actually get the thing half right, it will be awesome...

• Members

I have a couple of questions.

1) When you bring up the preset, can you twiddle around with the delay time and it will still keep the original time for next time you bring it up? Same goes for the other settings?

2) When you bring up the preset, which I did in modulate mode for example, but at the time the pedal is set on warp mode for example, what's the deal? Is it still modulated or will it be switched to the mode I have it in currently? Or, will it still be modulate mode, but I can use another mode aswell, so I can actually use 2 things at once?

• Members
1) When you bring up the preset, can you twiddle around with the delay time and it will still keep the original time for next time you bring it up? Same goes for the other settings?

...yup. you have to commit the new setting to memory, otherwise it will always default to the original setting.

except the manual preset, which automatically saves whatever you set, which i really like!

-dh

• Members

2) When you bring up the preset, which I did in modulate mode for example, but at the time the pedal is set on warp mode for example, what's the deal? Is it still modulated or will it be switched to the mode I have it in currently? Or, will it still be modulate mode, but I can use another mode aswell, so I can actually use 2 things at once?

1.) Yep, it should keep the original settings.

2.) When you first bring up a preset, it should be the mode of what you saved it as. So, if you have a modulation preset, if you switch to that preset, it shall be the modulation mode, regardless of where the mode dial is set at that time. There's no real way of cleanly tricking two things out of it at once, in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Okay folks, I have trawled all the way through this thread and took any settings which I think will be useful for myself (most of them), standardised them and made myself a sort of settings catalogue. I thought I would post it here as sort of a reference point for anyone who's interested and doesn't want to look through the whole thread. At the bottom I've also added the suggested settings from the boss manual, for anyone who may not have the manual or is to lazy to read it!

Thank you!
:thu:

• Members

Someone that used extended the roland space echo was the late Randy Rhoads on the diary of the madman tour way back 1982 could somebody help get a close sound to that one, a what to do to get that starwars ray gun effects that can be done with the unit? i heard dd20 can do that too..

• Members
Someone that used extended the roland space echo was the late Randy Rhoads on the diary of the madman tour way back 1982 could somebody help get a close sound to that one, a what to do to get that starwars ray gun effects that can be done with the unit? i heard dd20 can do that too..

Not sure on the Randy Rhoads sound. If he used a Space Echo, I'd experiment with the Tape mode and perhaps roll the Tone a bit.

For a ray gun effect, you can try the ring mod settings which are listed in this thread. :wave:

• Members
Not sure on the Randy Rhoads sound. If he used a Space Echo, I'd experiment with the Tape mode and perhaps roll the Tone a bit.

For a ray gun effect, you can try the ring mod settings which are listed in this thread.
:wave:

Yes he use Roland space echo on that tour andyou can hear it all the way on the complete 82 Ozzy tour bootlegs...:) thanks for the tip :thu:

• Members
Yes he use Roland space echo on that tour andyou can hear it all the way on the complete 82 Ozzy tour bootlegs...
:)
thanks for the tip
:thu:

That's pretty cool.

Strangely enough, I have a Space Echo, a Boss DD-20, and a copy of "Diary of a Madman", albeit the studio release. Any comparable tones you can use as reference for such a setting?

• Members

That's pretty cool.

Strangely enough, I have a Space Echo, a Boss DD-20, and a copy of "Diary of a Madman", albeit the studio release. Any comparable tones you can use as reference for such a setting?

Is all over the the songs of this dates boots..

# 01/07/82 Albequerque, NM

# 01/15/82 Minneapolis, MN

# 01/22/82 Milwuakee, WI

# 01/24/82 Chicago, Illinois

# 01/31/82 Cleveland, Ohio

# 02/08/82 Detroit, MI

# 02/09/82 Kalamazoo, MI

# 02/23/82 El Paso, TX

on this dates bootlegs,the ray guns can be heard on Suicide Solution solo...:)

Archived