Is there any difference between the Red and Blue Andromedas?

Awake77

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DonSolaris,

I stand corrected...the AX's LFO does indeed trigger with every keypress. I dont know what I heard this morning, maybe just the cutoff changing with varying velocities?

Either way, I still dig it. If that's the effect you're after you can 'sorta' fake it by modifying the cutoff manually with the control knob while a sequence plays. Cant record that control data via MIDI though :(

Anyway...

Look into the lights, DonSolaris...

I want an AX-80, the LFO reset on keypress does not bother me...

PICT0055.jpg

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

I stand corrected...the AX's LFO does indeed trigger with every keypress. I dont know what I heard this morning, maybe just the cutoff changing with varying velocities?

Good! I will repair cooling system in my car this month then.

• Members

Yeah, thats the page I quoted from in the post above. Its a good review. You can get a used AX-80 used for ~$200-$300 in decent shape. A couple effects pedals and this synth sound killer...it is missing some important functionality (like portamento, noise osc, etc) but what it does it does well.

Still, not as cool as an Andromeda.

And were back on topic...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Don Solaris

I know all other synths from that era have free LFO's: Juno 60, 106, Jupiter 6, Ensoniq ESQ, SQ-80, Matrix 6 etc ...

Well, the point I was trying to make is that free-running LFOs (by default) were getting harder and harder to find as we progress further into the mid/late 80s. The Ensoniqs and M6 were probably exceptions rather than the rule.

Originally posted by Don Solaris

How so? LFO is just an oscillator. You can run it free, or you can reset its phase with each key strike. No big magic here...

A DCO is an oscillator too, but how many DCO synths have "free running DCOs" - there's no such thing AFAIK. The waveform cycle always begins at key trigger. They's have to implement separate timing curcuits to have a digital LFO be free-running, would they not?

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

A DCO is an oscillator too, but how many DCO synths have "free running DCOs" - there's no such thing AFAIK. The waveform cycle always begins at key trigger. They's have to implement separate timing curcuits to have a digital LFO be free-running, would they not?

Are you sure about this? I always thought that at the heart of a DCO is an analog oscillator whose frequency is determined by a table of values rather than voltages. I'm not sure why it could not be free-running, but I have no technical info or even a DCO synth to check.

It's pretty easy to hear if anyone cares to check their DCO synth. Just select two identical waves at the same frequency with a gated VCA and press a key.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Are you sure about this? I always thought that at the heart of a DCO is an analog oscillator whose frequency is determined by a table of values rather than voltages. I'm not sure why it could not be free-running, but I have no technical info or even a DCO synth to check.

To my knowledge, a conventional DCO (as in Junos, JX's) is an analog oscillator whose frequency is "clocked by a digital circuit". Your describe as "table of values" - not sure if we are talking about the same thing. AFAIK, a digital circuit just emits square waves as pulses, and the osc freq is determined by that.

It's pretty easy to hear if anyone cares to check their DCO synth. Just select two identical waves at the same frequency with a gated VCA and press a key.

I don't know of any DCO synths that use VCA gate. The conventional DCO does not require a gate. A note sounds off when a keypress initiates the digital circuit, which in turn always starts the osc off at the same point in the wavecycle. That is why you don't get free-running DCOs.

• Members

I don't know of any DCO synths that use VCA gate. The conventional DCO
does not require a gate
. A note sounds off when a keypress initiates the digital circuit, which in turn always starts the osc off at the same point in the wavecycle. That is why you don't get free-running DCOs.

Actually I was thinking in terms of a Juno 60, which has "VCA" labelled on it's front panel, and has a gate option. But I'm really dumb when it comes to the technical details so I'm not about to start an arguement. And that wasn't my point anyway. All I was trying to say is that you can easily hear it if two oscillators are set to the same waveform and frequency and start at the same point in their duty cycle. Especially if they're tuned low.

This is the typical sound of a rompler with identical waveforms selected. And I was inviting someone with a two DCO per voice synth to check. And I still am. :)

• Members

Just browsed the HC ads, and someone seems to be selling an A6 for $990...

I saw that!! I just emailed the guy...but I highly suspect it's a scam. Way too easy to get ripped off w/a regular internet classified.

• Members

hey,

for what it's worth, I recently picked up a refurb (sealed box) A6 from NovaMusik.com. It took like 3 weeks to arrive but is perfectly 'new' and factory sealed.

it's not the 'best price' you'll find on ebay, but it is the lowest 'new' price i could find (save for the sketchy and tariff filled import market taking advantage of our crappy US$)

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=1629

hope this helps,

fugoo

• Members

Actually I was thinking in terms of a Juno 60, which has "VCA" labelled on it's front panel, and has a gate option. But I'm really dumb when it comes to the technical details so I'm not about to start an arguement. And that wasn't my point anyway. All I was trying to say is that you can easily hear it if two oscillators are set to the same waveform and frequency and start at the same point in their duty cycle. Especially if they're tuned low.

This is the typical sound of a rompler with identical waveforms selected. And I was inviting someone with a two DCO per voice synth to check. And I still am.
:)

I am not into getting in a pissing contest either on tech details, this is just what I know about DCOs. Just because a synth has a VCA has nothing to do with whether VCA gate is used to sound a note (on a free-running osc), or a digital circuit is used instead as on most DCO synths.

All I was trying to say is that you can easily hear it if [.........]

I'm still at a loss.... what's exactly the "it" that you are listening for? Beating osc's? If two DCOs are set at the same exact freq and they start at the same point of the waveform cycle, isn't that proving my point, not yours? You are the one that is making the case that some DCO synths have free-running osc's, no? :confused: still confused here...

• Members

There is no analog oscillator in a DCO - it is a digital waveform generated by a cpu, not a cap charging core. The waveform cycle always resets on a voice trigger, thus DCOs can't have a "free running" mode. Not counting softsynths/VAs of course.

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

There is no analog oscillator in a DCO - it is a digital waveform generated by a cpu, not a cap charging core.

Sounds like you're talking about a digital oscillator (i.e. DW8000, ESQ1, etc), not a DCO (Juno, JX, M6...). In the latter, the "voice" is most certainly analog, the tuning is digital.

Originally posted by The Real MC

The waveform cycle always resets on a voice trigger, thus DCOs can't have a "free running" mode. Not counting softsynths/VAs of course.

Yes I agree here, and that supports my point(s) made earlier. Hence, also supports my point with Don Solaris about why most mid-80s DCO synths also have re-triggering LFOs, not free-running.

• Members

'refurb' andromeda

hey,

for what it's worth, I recently picked up a refurb (sealed box) A6 from NovaMusik.com. It took like 3 weeks to arrive but is perfectly 'new' and factory sealed.

it's not the 'best price' you'll find on ebay, but it is the lowest 'new' price i could find (save for the sketchy and tariff filled import market taking advantage of our crappy US$)

hope this helps,

fugoo

Thanks for the heads up fugoo!! I know if I lurk long enough I can snag one for ~$1500, so Im going to try to do that first. Nice price from a vendor though, no doubt!

• Members

Sounds like you're talking about a digital oscillator (i.e. DW8000, ESQ1, etc), not a DCO (Juno, JX, M6...). In the latter, the "voice" is most certainly analog, the tuning is digital.

I would have to agree with ChipCurtis here. DCOs are analog oscillators clocked by a digital source.

Archived