Is there any difference between the Red and Blue Andromedas?

Awake77

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually ChipCurtis, I'm not taking an opposing side, or any side. I simply didn't know and was asking a few probing questions.

Does this mean that modern DCO synths like the Evolvers don't have free running oscillators?

When I say you can hear it when oscillators aren't free-running, if you set two the same there's that tell-tale spit in the attack transient because both oscillators are starting from the same position, and timbrally each note is the same whereas if the oscillators are free-running there's some difference from note to note as each oscillator is in a different position to the other duty-cycle wise.

Here's what Ikutaro Kakshashi said about the DCOs in a Juno, which I don't understand completely so maybe one of you guys can elaborate:

'In a Juno, we used a programmable divider, chip number 8253. In other words, we gave it some values and this programmable divider created a diserable frequency, so it was a kind of oscillator. Today people never think of such a technique as being different from analog. We didn't use an analog to digital converter because they were very expensive."

• Members

mrcpro,

You made some good points here, and I don't want us to continue to "hi-jack" a thread about the Andromeda to continue this discussion.

Since DCOs are a pretty complicated and confusing subject, I would like to start a new thread about it, with a pointer to the Wikipedia definition and the various types of DCOs in existence. Then we can perhaps continue to debate this a little, if you so desire.

As soon as I make the new thread, I'll edit this post and place a pointer to it. ;)

EDIT: Here is the new thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1308282

Now everybody else, continue talking about the A6! :D

• Members

Alright here's a question for you Andy users. Why does the Andy sound more mechanical than older analogs. I listen to some of sounds like from wohmart's page and the Andy just seems to have a digital sheen to it, that is, when the Andy isn't trying to sound like Roland liquid wet bass type stuff (SH), because it can get drippy. I sometimes like the sheen and sometimes don't. But overall there are a lot of digital and mechanical aspects to the sound. It can do funky as in TB303 kind of way but not like a JP 6 kind of way. To me it doesn't get human organic sounds, like older polys, it gets more spacey organic sounds.

I also wish it could do more 'Vowel' like pads. Like someone (preferably a female) singing in the distant, the vowel 'a' ( uh or awe) and sustaining it. Oh yeah, and I don't mean vowel choir pads, not looking for choir, more like saturated/reverberated maybe in unison or a doubled fashion ( coming from 1 person) vowel pads. Boy that was hard to get out.

I don't want put down the Andy because it's a fantastic synth, but I'm a little disappointed not to hear funkier more organic filter tweaks and also more Vowel like pads.

I'd like to add that I think the JD/JV pads can sound warmer sometimes. Although I haven't heard vowel like pads from them either. I was thinking of possibly getting an Andy ( if I do let's me and you not go for one at the same time ok Awake ;):wave: ), but actually the JD/JV pads seems to fit the pad duties I was looking for. There seems to be a slight overlap in pads, but the Andy seems to be able to get more complex pads, while the JD's are possibly warmer/cleaner.

I actually like the Andy most for plucked type instruments oddly enough.:D

• Members

Originally posted by stikygum

I also wish it could do more
'Vowel'
like pads. Like someone (preferably a female) singing in the distant, the vowel 'a' ( uh or awe) and sustaining it. Oh yeah, and I don't mean vowel choir pads, not looking for choir, more like saturated/reverberated maybe in unison or a doubled fashion ( coming from 1 person) vowel pads. Boy that was hard to get out.

Best results for me with this sound is to use a single pulse wave and a bandpass filter (set to 12 db if you can) with no envelope. Adjusting pulse width, cutoff, and resonance yields all kinds of different one voice analog vowel sounds. Best synth I've ever had for this is my Maxi-Korg, because on it you can adjust the width of the bandpass. It just kills on these sounds. JP-6 is another good one.

• Members

Rats!! Just got outbid on a fine A6 by $50:) Oh well, can't exceed my limit...(goes back to lurking)

Foosa - dont worry my man Ill get back to you soon. The JD800's not going anywhere at the moment so dont worry:) Been on vacation so my time on the PC is limited.

• Members

Well, if you like the red edition, you still got a chance.

Any Andy users have any comments on my thoughts 4 posts back? I really feel the Andy sounds sheeny and mechanical (that might be because of the sequencer) as opposed to fluid.

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Rats!! Just got outbid on a fine A6 by $50:) Oh well, can't exceed my limit...(goes back to lurking)

Foosa - dont worry my man Ill get back to you soon. The JD800's not going anywhere at the moment so dont worry:) Been on vacation so my time on the PC is limited.

Get off the computer and enjoy your vacation then! ;) I just wanted to make sure it hadn't been sold yet and I missed out.

Archived