Is there any difference between the Red and Blue Andromedas?

Awake77

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's a Red Andromeda on Ebay right now, but no doubt it will clear $2k because its rare. I prefer the blue myself. Of course, if the Red Andy had a black metal chassis, bright red LCD's and a LCD with selectable backlight colors, Id spring for it:D

It IS all about the lights, you know:)

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

Is this a joke? I ask because I am partially colorblind and may well pick up an Andy one of these years.

In the picture Billywa posted above we see a lovely lady next to a Blue andromeda (2nd picture). If you cannot see the Andromeda in this picture, then you may be affected.

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

In the picture Billywa posted above we see a lovely lady next to a Blue andromeda (2nd picture). If you cannot see the Andromeda in this picture, then you may be affected.

OMG!!! I can't see it!

This actually explains a lot. A few days ago, I went into Guitar Center to look at their new keyboards. One of their two-tier stands had a Triton on the bottom. On the top tier, all I could see was the keyboard stand. I actually could see right through the synth, which was completely invisible. I thought that was weird, as I didn't know there was a synth I could not see. But now I know: it was a blue Andy! I'll go back tomorrow to see what it feels like.

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Yeah, I love the filter on the AX-80 too, I believe it uses the same chips ...

I almost bought AX-80. But then i found out the thing has LFO that always resets. So if you hit the same note over and over again it will always sound the same since the LFO always starts at the beginning of the waveform when a new key is struck. This makes LFO completely useless for filter applications and detune effects. In fact you can't use it for anything except that boring vibrato effect.

I think i had a synth once whose LFO would reset. I had it once and will have it never again.

• Members
I almost bought AX-80. But then i found out the thing has LFO that always resets. So if you hit the same note over and over again it will always sound the same since the LFO always starts at the beginning of the waveform when a new key is struck. This makes LFO completely useless for filter applications and detune effects. In fact you can't use it for anything except that boring vibrato effect.

I think i had a synth once whose LFO would reset. I had it once and will have it never again

The LFO doesnt reset on the AX-80, but the cutoff frequency does. So you can't grab the knob and sweep the cutoff - the there are ways around this if you must have a filter sweep on a sustained note.

No excuse now, Don Solaris...:D

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

The LFO doesnt reset on the AX-80, but the cutoff frequency does. So you can't grab the knob and sweep the cutoff - the there are ways around this if you must have a filter sweep on a sustained note.

Ok lets try this sound. Put LFO to modulate the pitch of osc1 (use max range), use slow LFO frequency like 0.1 Hz. Now tap C3 key for short 1/16 notes, about 10 times, and record the output.

Second test. Put LFO to modulate the cutoff (use max range) use slow LFO frequency like 0.1 Hz. Now tap C3 key for short 1/16 notes, about 10 times, and record the output.

For both examples set envelope attack and release time to 0, so you get short (gate) type of sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Egens

I just wanted to add something..

Awake77, mentioned that sausages on a pizza is good.

Well, it's not! It's not kosher! (meat&milk)

maybe i'm off base here but, you might wanna ask yer rabbi what that sausage is made of too..

• Members

Ok lets try this sound. Put LFO to modulate the pitch of osc1 (use max range), use slow LFO frequency like 0.1 Hz. Now tap C3 key for short 1/16 notes, about 10 times, and record the output.

Second test. Put LFO to modulate the cutoff (use max range) use slow LFO frequency like 0.1 Hz. Now tap C3 key for short 1/16 notes, about 10 times, and record the output.

For both examples set envelope attack and release time to 0, so you get short (gate) type of sound.

Don,

When I read your initial post, I fired up the AX-80 to check. I set the LFO to modulate cut off frequency, with a slow speed and full range. While tapping the key, I could hear the cut off freq starting at a different point each time, along the curve of the LFO waveform.

Ill make a recording tonight-I could be wrong but it didnt sound that way.

• Members

this quote:

LFO. The AX has three LFOs in total for all eight voice, however LFO 1 controls osc , LFO 2 controls osc 2, and LFO controls osc 3, which allows for some very nice effects. Its great for fat leads since each oscillator can be slightly detuned using different LFO amounts, and their is still one LFO left to modulate the filter. Unfortunately the trade off of this is that every time a new key struck the LFO

• Members

Weren't re-triggering (i.e. non-free-running) LFOs a pretty common thing on most mid-80s DCO and hybrid polys?

I know that my DW8000, DSS1, and JX10 all have non-free-running LFOs. I think it was cheaper for the synthmakers to just implement the early digital LFOs in this way. Creating a free-running digital LFO takes more work, not less.

They weren't thinking about future (techno) uses of the synths. Free-running LFOs made a comeback synonymously with the return of analog and especially the return of monosynths.

There was a trick to get a free-running LFO on the DSS1 that was explained in the SOS review: you created a multisample with one "blank" key (no sample assigned to that key), then you held down that key (or clamped it down with a clothespin) while playing the bass/lead line. :D

• Members

I think there's a workaround for the AX-80 too, NightSynth was explaining it a while back I believe. Maybe I was implementing it by accident this morning, cause I swear each note had a different cutoff damnit:D:D

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

Weren't re-triggering (i.e. non-free-running) LFOs a pretty common thing on most mid-80s DCO and hybrid polys?

No.

I know that my DW8000, DSS1, and JX10 all have non-free-running LFOs.

I know all other synths from that era have free LFO's: Juno 60, 106, Jupiter 6, Ensoniq ESQ, SQ-80, Matrix 6 etc ...

Creating a free-running digital LFO takes more work, not less.

How so? LFO is just an oscillator. You can run it free, or you can reset its phase with each key strike. No big magic here...

Archived