All About POD

fuzzball

• Members

What amp are you using, I find that a small 30 watt combo tends to sound thin. You may need to crank up your bass. If you have a preamp input on the amp that may help.

I would also consider playing around with the POD's output setting try direct, combo, stack, and several cabnet variations.

Personaly I tend to save some patches tweeked for the amp and others for direct, but I find that my amp works just fine with most situations. I usualy use a Peavey Bandit 112S.

Try some of the things I mentioned and tell me if it improves.

You may also consider a cheap tube preamp to help it warm up (a cheap art unit may even work).

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to use it with a Peavey Bandit, and it still sounded bad, even in the effects return. Now I'm using it with a Vox AD30VT.

Are you supposed to use stereo or guitar cables when plugging the pod into an amp?

My Boss GT-8 did the same thing...

• Members

First you most likely have a different Bandit mine is from the 80's. I dont use the effects return, I use the preamp input in the back. That made a big difference. Does yours have a preamp input?

Use guitar cables to plug the POD into the amp.
If you tried to tweek the patches and the cab modles and outputs and it still sounds bad there may be a few problems.

1) you may want to get a tube preamp to warm up the sound (a cheap one like an art should do)
2) I don't mean to be mean here...but you may need to take more time with the unit and learn how to manipulate the unit. Many times I have heard complaints about the POD sounding bad through the amp. The common problem was user error. Like any effect box you need to change your patches so that they work with your particular guitar and amp. This may be cab chages settings input settings, amp settings, EQ, or any number of things.

For example the patch is way to bright, turn the trebble down "without killing the edge, adjust a little bass and possibly add a little mid range.

Try some of that and tell me if it helps.

• Members

Well I got my POD XTL Friday! I didn't get the metal pack yet. I am going to pick it up in a couple weeks at my next payday. Valentine's day owned me. =).

This is using the Splat88 Treadplate patch on a XTL. Just 2 tracks hard panned both have Waves L2 and CurveEQ plugins on them. Master has an Waves L2 and LinMB.

Just threw something together. The drum samples I used are a few sounds from an older DFH 4.6 MB compressed if anyone wants to play with some drum sounds. I just put them all into fruity loops. Pretty simple setup for making jam tracks.

Sorry it is so short, my cheap soundblaster goes in and out of sync like crazy. Sometimes the playback will just be out of sync but it will record fine and others it will sound fine and everything recorded out of sync. 2 weeks till I get my tax refund and I am buying about 2g's in recoTrding gear.=)

http://www.withez.com/ezfiles/PODXTHEAVY.mp3 http://www.withez.com/ezfiles/Main%20Drums.rar
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=13497

ALSO!!!!
A very good 5150ish tone by TZABILL. . .

http://rapidshare.de/files/12983134/Machine_Head_Tone.mp3.html

http://www.customtone.com/library.html?restrict=compatible&product_id=24&type=user&searchString=Tzabill+

• Members

haha, yeah I get $2500 from My half of the taxes (wife gets $2500) and then the rest goes into a family vacation. The cool thing is we are free to do what we want with it. No wife hagging. Although she is going to be lame and go buy some $500 purse. Ahhh! I love tax returns. It's like over 6k total. One of the good points of not making a ton of money and having 2 kids. hehe.

I have spent every lunch break at guitar center for a couple weeks now. I am so hooked on these . They are like $1k. Dynaudio BM5A Studio Monitors . Man are they sexy. They are a little out of my $500 budget but I think I may have to get them and wait on some of the other gear and wait for my work bonus to come.

232260.jpg

• Members

I am lucky my wife never bothers me about gear purchases. It might help that she is starting to get into recording also. On the negative side I will use the money to help pay for college classes.

I think I will spring for the PODXT metal pack though.:D

• Members

I just love my POD 2.3 and I found another editor called Podman32 for Windows that allows you to turn on the wah effect and adjust those parameters with connecting it to a floor controller!

A tip: If you want to turn on the bright switch or presence on any amp with them hold the TAP button and turn the TREBLE knob right past 12 o'clock.

Another: To turn on the distortion boost hold the TAP button and turn the DRIVE knob past 12 o'clock.

Even another: If you want to see the TAP button stop blinking set the EFFECTS knob to any delay effect or BYPASS, hold down the TAP button and turn the EFFECTS TWEEK knob all the way to the left. It will cancel out the delay though.

Steve

• Members

You should be able to find a Peavey Bandit 112S used for a good price, the distortion on them is also great!

Crap you might be able to buy a cheap amplifier and make a speaker cab for cheap.

I once used a old peavey amp and a EV PA speaker, and a digitech RP6 and it was actualy killer. I could not believe the sounds I could get with it.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

Thanks for sharing!

How do you think the POD 2.0 compares to the POD XT?

Can't say, I have the POD 2.3, never tried either the 2.0 or the XT. I'm not a metal head(seems like most POD users are) so I have a feeling I'm not missing anything with the XT.

Does anybody here use the DELAY/SWELL set on max delay and swell along with the FUZZ BOX to create long sustained layered stuff? I'm also a keyboardist and this makes for some interesting sampling possibilities. You can have sustained notes layered with arpeggios layered with pinch harmonic insanity layered with chords, and so on. This approach with the Line6 multidelay could get out of hand!

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball

I am not a metal head, I play some metal but I usualy like the pod for blues tones. I thought the 2.3 is the 2.0, just with the upgraded software. Am I wrong?

I have a friend that is trying to decide to get the 2.0 or XT.

The 2.3 is a 2.0 with an upgrade but there are some 2.0s out there minus the upgrade. I like the Black Face for blues tones, I'm building a tune called Cash on Hand with it now.

Anybody try the Line & Layer with the Drive turned all the way left for that ultra sharp clean tone?

I wonder if they'll come out with a strictly Metal POD? :D I'll bet that would sell like mad! It would have to be black of course!

Steve

• Members

So how are the the upgraded packs? I have been thinking of getting one or both. I was intertested in the metal pack but then I noticed all the extra Marshalls in the classic pack..................I have been pretty much using the Marshall amps with my strats. Single coil guitars and the Marshall plexi with the green 25's cab just sounds so sweet. I have been using my Fulldrive 2 with the POD instead of the modeled stompboxes. I am rambling on since I just had a root canal and got some oxycodone and some guiness so forgive my chattiness.:thu:

• Members

Feel free to continue that is why this thread is here, to share in the world of the POD users.

I use a Hendrix fuzz with my POD on occasion. One thing I don't like about the POD is that it is a pain to swith patches the pedal boards only let you switch between A,B,C, and D. I would like to scroll through the whole set of patches.

• Members

Happy to help, I have not had much luck running the pod through the regular guitar input either. I am happy to hear that my suggestion helped.

Did you know that the POD 2.0 (or a higher version of software in the 2.0 unit) was used for many guitar parts in the Blade 3 movie. They used it for heavy processed guitar sounds.:cool:

Archived