All About POD

fuzzball

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

Well I thought it would be nice to start a thread dedicated to the pod (all versions). We could share tips, questions, patch ideas and anything related.
:thu:

Good idea!

I have a question: right now in my band we're using In-Ear monitoring and that sounds just fine with my Pod Pro.

However, when I still used to play through a stereo poweramp (Marshall 8008) with my own loudspeakers, it didn't sound that well (I had speaker simulation switched off).

What is the best way to make a POD sound good over loudspeaker/monitors? What kind of amplifier/loudspeakers should you use? (in case I ever get in a situation again where in-ear monitoring would be a problem)

• Members

In your case I think you will need to try trial and error. I prefer my pod to act as a preamp into the amp (using a preamp in input). I have used it in the front of a combo amp and I have had good results, I first try to get a clean and clear signal from the amp first.

As for power amps I have had good luck using Peavy's for the pod, I have not tried yours. I think your best bet would be to first try the speaker emulator, if that does not provide good results you may want to consider using a eq if it sounds thin, then you may consider a tube preamp (a cheap one) this will warm it up). Then lastly you may consider changing out some gear.

• Members

Well I thought it would be nice to start a thread dedicated to the pod (all versions). We could share tips, questions, patch ideas and anything related.
:thu:

Good idea!

I am using the XT Live. I love mine no matter what all the snobs say around here.

• Members

Originally posted by DJLantz444

I'm going to buy a Live after christmas, but I'm worried about the expression pedal. As long as I have a warranty will this be an easy fix?

What are you referring to? What is the problem with the expression pedal?

I use a Behringer MIDI footswitch board with the Pod Pro (about $ 170). The Line6 floorboard was way too expensive ($ 250) AND only had four switches while the Behringer has ten. The expression pedals on that work fine as well.

• Members

Pod recording tip:

Many don't like to use the pod for recording except for background tracks, here is a suggestion that I think you will like.

Run the unit stereo, put the left output to an amp and mic it, then use the right output direct. Combine the signals or keep one for the left and one for the right.

You may be satisfied!

• Members

I am currently using the PODXT and a 2 button line 6 pedal, is it worth paying the $$ for the expresion pedal?

I see on the Internet that it costs about $ 50. Well, it depends how important you would find wah-wah or volume control.

On my Behringer footswitch board happened to be two expression pedals as well, but before that I used my old Digitech RP1 as a MIDI footswitch. Wah-wah is nice, but I personally CAN live without it.

• Members

Originally posted by LaurentB

I use a Behringer MIDI footswitch board with the Pod Pro (about $ 170). The Line6 floorboard was way too expensive ($ 250) AND only had four switches while the Behringer has ten. The expression pedals on that work fine as well.

I hear that it often creeks, like it needs lubrication or something. I hear that they are poorly made. This is just what I hear, not experience.

• Members

Originally posted by DJLantz444

I hear that it often creeks, like it needs lubrication or something. I hear that they are poorly made. This is just what I hear, not experience.

You should try and get to see and feel one then, in a shop. But of course it's typically the kind of item that they don't have on stock. I had that problem when buying that Behringer as well (of which was said by someone in a store that it wasn't very well built, but I guess that guy said that because they didn't have it on stock. It's built perfectly well and hasn't failed me yet.)

• Members

Originally posted by nosferatu123

Does the POD sound good with the guitar being connected to effects and than to the POD?

I made the same question some time ago when I was inclined in getting a amp simulator

POD XT does sound very well combined to most effects. Dist/OD, Vibe, Clean boosters and even Fuzzes. It did sound really good with my London Fuzz Ge (not mine anymore.. sold it yesterday... I think Im gonna miss it :( ).

POD XT reacts to fx way better than Vamp2, which I ended up getting instead of the Line6. It was a bargain. This concerns specially fuzzes, that tend to push Vamp2 too hard, mudding up the tone. But even Vamp can sound decent using pedals. At least I think so. Here are some clips using the London straight in the Vamp and then to the computer:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=630836&t=1660

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=627627&t=1660

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=630841&t=1660

Originally posted by LaurentB

I recently picked up a new FBV Express floorboard at Gtr Ctr... it only cost $99. It's not something that would suffice for some players in a live situation, but for others it would probably be fine. It has four switches (for A-B-C-D), a volume / wah pedal (pretty sturdy, and the "click" to switch between then, and the LED indicator to tell you which is active work fine), and for being able to switch between two or three presets while doing scratch tracks - which is what I needed it for, it does the job perfectly.

• Members

I've been using the Line6 FlextoneII XT for my main gigging amp for 6 months. It's basically the POD with in a combo amp. It kicks ass! It sounds totally believable if you tweak it in. I still mic it live though. Haven't tried it direct.

Archived