All About POD

fuzzball

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do to,but this would allow me to play a few fun solos with a little more style.

maybe you should play the acustic with the pod so you can have the delay and chorus and stuf like that and still have the clean effects......you wouldn't really use dist much playing in a coffe shop right

• Members

So I just bought a used POD (original) and a Guitarport for $85 from another forum to do simple recordings on the computer and really don't know anything about these things.

I think I might still have a bootlegged copy of Cool Edit Pro 2.0 to record. I have one of these cables for some reason. Is this what I need to hook it up to the computer?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cables?sku=333053

Any tips on how to record onto the computer? How to get decent recording tones?

These questions are in regard to the POD. I'll probably be selling the Guitarport on ebay and will end up getting a POD for $30 or so. Seemed like a good deal.

Also, can you set the POD to effects only mode and bypass the amps and EQ and whatnot? I wouldn't mind running the effects only into my amp.

Any general tips on using the POD (original)?

Also, what are the main differences between the POD, POD 2.0, and the PODXT?

• Members

you can use just the effects....i'm not sure how i just now you can, i have a podxt live, go to line6 and download the manual....also for getting good recording tones, just create tones using your headphones and record. I haven't recorded much with the pod so i can't give you any tips or anything like that, but as long as your recording program is good and you have a good sound out of the headphones it should sound good. Use a USB cable to record.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Bump for my questions!

I use a Mac and I have the Garage Band software that Macintosh makes and it works great for me. I picked up a M Audio USB interface box and use my POD with that. It is very simple to use, probably not as good as some of the other stuff out there. There are tons of guys that do TONS of recording in this forum. It all depends on how serious you want to get with it. You could do a search for computer recording info or start a new general thread on the subject to get more info. Here is a link to some of the stuff I have done with Garage Band. my POD and a few other pedals (Digitech Jimi Hendrix pedal is on a few clips)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=383900

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball

We expect a full report.
:D

So far after a few days with the Variax 300, I still like it. :)

The guitar actually plays well, good weight and balance-neck feels great (alot like my Tele which is one of my fav necks)

Sounds are quite good, Tele sounds are bright and snappy, strat sounds are very close to my real strat. Pinch harmonics are very good, palm muting is possible but not as good sounding as it is on a real electric. If I was going to be playing hard rock with lots of palm muted/heavy rock sound I would reach for my Big Apple Strat with Duncans or one of my Kramers. The acoustic sounds are good, much better than electric guitars with piezo pickups like Parkers or Nashville Tele's (I have owned both) The Resonator and Banjo sounds are AWESOME! It is so cool to go from a banjo to a 335 sound with the flick of a switch. I think I am liking this guitar enought to look into getting a second and putting the guts into a Warmoth guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by W.Kyle.C

maybe you should play the acustic with the pod so you can have the delay and chorus and stuf like that and still have the clean effects......you wouldn't really use dist much playing in a coffe shop right

You have a great point! Why did I not think of that.:thu:

• Members

Thanks for sharing the guitar review.

I do a lot of recording and the POD has worked well unfortunatly I have not use the program that the question was about so I can not really help.

The original pod has different sounds that the others that is the difference there, it is still considered a good unit.

• Members

I read in the manual that with the podxtlive I should be able to press hard on the top of the Wah/volume/tweak pedal and if it is on wah it will turn off the wah when i stepped on it. However, the pedal doesn't do this when i press on it. Is it supposed to or am i reading the manual wrong?

• Members

No I use the line out and record into a Roland 2480 I only use the computer for tweking things. Have you contacted line6 they may be able to answer the question. I will keep looking and see if I can find anything on it.

• Members

Variax Update:

It just quit, started with a high pitched whining sound. Took it back got a new one and so far it feels like crap! They are ordering a new one but the guy that actually knows what he's talking about at the store (few and far between) told me that there have been lots of problems with them so...................

• Members
Originally posted by HMCMedic

Variax Update:

It just quit, started with a high pitched whining sound. Took it back got a new one and so far it feels like crap! They are ordering a new one but the guy that actually knows what he's talking about at the store (few and far between) told me that there have been lots of problems with them so...................

:eek:
Man that sucks, well now we know that they are like any other guitar (same model types will feel and play different). What did they say the problem was with your first one?

• Members

I've been using my electric with a recently installed acoustic bridge to record through the PODxt via USB. I've used the standard piezo acoustic patch and a tube preamp patch that I created to help me get enough gain and a resonably close recorded piezo acoustic sound.

• Members
Originally posted by W.Kyle.C

I read in the manual that with the podxtlive I should be able to press hard on the top of the Wah/volume/tweak pedal and if it is on wah it will turn off the wah when i stepped on it. However, the pedal doesn't do this when i press on it. Is it supposed to or am i reading the manual wrong?

I had the same problem and someone suggested to press really hard...so I did...the wah came on and after the initial hard press it was easier after that..

• Members

for those using the pod xt live through a pa system :

what do you use to monitor your sound...do you just take a monitor feed off the pa for yourself and then what do you put it through...a stack-a floor monitor??

Archived