All About POD

fuzzball

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

Still no replies on the metal pack expansion, does any one have it?

I am thinking about getting one of the expansion packs soon. Prob the classic though but mabey both. I will post as soon as I do. I am loving the unit for the most part, I don't care for the tubescreamer that much. I have been using my Fulldrive 2 with the POD and liking the results. The Fuzz Face model is sweet, especially with the Marshall models. My fav sound has been the Vox AC30 with my Epiphone 335, straight with no effects.

• Members

ive had mine about a year now and can give it honest and objectionable thoughts-

i got it through a trade right here through HC effects, and thanks bro, you know who you are but Ive not seen you around alot.

anyway, i have the 2.3 version, and can honestly say I like the marshall, bassman, and california clean & crunch models better than even on the XT.

I use 6 or so patches mostly, and i have 4 patches saved just for direct bass recording and bass through 4x10 cab settings.

I run it like this:

right side- straight into a small modified class A combo (epi galaxie 10 with another cab)

left side- into very old stereo tube amplifier and then into an early 60s original black super reverb cab w/ original speakers

i run it pretty loud, so i get the spongey/saggy tube tone from pushing the tubes. i hear people say Pods dont have a tube like character but im guessing they are running them direct or through headphones. i tried running it into various tube amps and didnt like the results that well. through a jcm800 it just wasnt vibing, same thing with a twin.

but after alot of experimenting i stumbled across this stereo setup and am honestly happier than I have been with alot of "desirable" guitar>tube amp setups ive had in the past.

about the tones:

no, most of the models do not sound exactly like the amps in question, but running them the way I do I have found some great tones that I really love that I would not find in standard tube amps. what I mean is like with the deluxe reverb model, its hard to get a perfect blend of clean with light grit without havinbg too much fizz - but that sound is great for many applications.

as far as the bassman, marshall (classic & hi-gain), the california models and a few others - they are really close. i found some great settings the first week or so. over the months i would slightly tweak a paremeter as i grew to know the unit.

this happened over the year and what I was left with was more than I hoped the Pod could do. also, as far as direct recording ive made some clips/projects and had knowledgable people asking me what kind of gear i used, and were pretty much in shock when id tell them that track was all pod, so they can be great for recording.

I guess what Im trying to say is Im glad this thread is still alive, maybe it can help narrow a few things down in thier search. I will say that running it with tubes in the setup (not in the front of an amp, in the poweramp) you can get some really old school classic tones, and all the tube-goodness is still there. the old stereo amp im using has a pre and poweramp - but i think what makes it work is the fact that it has a truely flat frequency response, since it was made to run phono (record) players and things like that through.

i crank these tubes at home, and then turn up the pod output to push them harder when needed, and its very versatile.

also, a tip for ya (nothing new, but good advice anyway):

if you want a really good heavy crunchy metal tone, put a good OD in front of the Pod, and add that to the patch. you may have to back off the gain on the Pod setting, but it will sound more natural and help kill that over-exaggerated bass

• Members

I had the first Bean when it came out and it was good. I ran it into a Carvin Bel Air at the time. I then got a Boss GT 3 and later a GT 6. I have gone back and forth over the years between amps, pedals, multi effects, modelers. At one time I was using a Johnson JM60 Marquis with Midi pedals. I have run straight into amps, multiple amps. I will probably always be changing gear, it drives my wife nuts! So I am rambling here.... I love my POD XT Live, right now I run it into 2 Epiphone Valve Jr's or a Vox VR30. I thought about getting one of the Variax guitars but I have most of the guitars that it models so I haven't. I like the amps the best, I don't know how close it sounds to a real Plexi from the 60's or an old Supro cause I have never played one, probably never will. I know it sounds dang good though! The cool thing about running it with these cheap little Epi's is that they are 5 watt tube amps with no tone controls, they have no personality of their own. I keep one slightly louder than the other so that one kinda breaks up while the other one stays clean. I also am running an OD pedal in front of it (Fulltone Full Drive)

Keep this thread alive! Viva Le POD

• Members

Originally posted by ToneGrail

How do you turn on/off the bright switches for the models that have them?

with line6 edit

if you dont have it you should really go to line 6s website and download it. it lets you do a few things with your settings that you cannot do with the pod alone. i think its great.

it brings up a picture of your pod with all the controls, and has controls for more peremeters than on the pod. alos, you can save the whole bank of your patches into a folder and then later if you accidently erase something or just want 1 or 2 patches back, open that folder (from in L6 edit) and sen them to the Pod!

there may be another way about the bright but i do know you can access it from the L6 edit. i like that L6 edit better than the program that came on CDrom with my pod.

youll need a midi device to connect to your PC with the older pods. i found one called M-Audio uno (or something like that). one end plugs into the USB port and then the other end has the right/left MIDI connections for the Pod.

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

with line6 edit

if you dont have it you should really go to line 6s website and download it. it lets you do a few things with your settings that you cannot do with the pod alone. i think its great.

it brings up a picture of your pod with all the controls, and has controls for more peremeters than on the pod. alos, you can save the whole bank of your patches into a folder and then later if you accidently erase something or just want 1 or 2 patches back, open that folder (from in L6 edit) and sen them to the Pod!

there may be another way about the bright but i do know you can access it from the L6 edit. i like that L6 edit better than the program that came on CDrom with my pod.

youll need a midi device to connect to your PC with the older pods. i found one called M-Audio uno (or something like that). one end plugs into the USB port and then the other end has the right/left MIDI connections for the Pod.

Ok fish, I installed the Line6 Edit. I called up the Fender Twin (Double Verb) model. However I don't see any parameter for a bright switch. What am I missing?

• Members

Does anyone know any info regarding Pod XT and OSX 10.4 Tiger?
I read a while back that Line6 had 'Not yet evaluated Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger'. Does this mean they haven't evaluated the 'Custom Tone' editing software but the Pod XT does work fine with OSX10.4 Tiger?
Thanks.

OSX10.4 Tiger
Logic Pro 7.1

• Members

I have not gotten it yet I am waiting for someone with it to tell me what they think of the 5150 similation first. I am on a very limited budget right now so I am picky with my money.

Lets try to keep this thread alive there are many people with the POD out there. (hopefuly we can keep the P.O.D jokes out of here).:thu:

• Members

I did get the metal pack. There are some great sounds in here. The Uber Extacy alone is worth the $50. The Silver Plate Marshall (ala Slash) is also fantastic and so is the Mesa triple rect solo.

I am running the PODxt Live in front of a B-52 AT212 all tube amp using the clean channel. This thing makes the Zoom G7 sound like a toy.

• Members

quote:

I have not gotten it yet I am waiting for someone with it to tell me what they think of the 5150 similation first. I am on a very limited budget right now so I am picky with my money.

So am I. I'm using POD XTL from the day it arrived Hong Kong.
i like the usb connection and direct recording. There's some questions and hope there's someone can help me out

1. I've been using it for gigs. Mostly i plugged it into the "effect return". i'm happy with it, but someone said it'll be much better to connect it to the PA system directly, any suggestions?

2. I used to edit the sound from the PC using GuitarPort software. But i just fond it is not as good as edit it directly on the XTL , since you may edit the pedal to control different parameters, like rate of distortion or delay. but i just can't find that function on the GuitarPort! Am I missing something?

• Members

To answer #1 I would try direct and into the amp. Personlay I use the pre amp in on my amp for the best results, but I have found that it works well with a PA system also. So if it sounds good enough through a PA for you by all means do it, it is much easier to carry.

For #2 download the line 6 rdit software, that should be the best you can change everything there with the mouse! Much easier than using the buttons on the unit itself.

Archived