All About POD

fuzzball

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am picking up a XT Live on payday. I have set these up for some of my friends since I went to school for studio engineering and have had almost every processing unit under the sun. I recorded a whole album with a Boss GT-6 direct with very good results. It's all about tweaking these things and finding their sweet spots. Anyhow, I will be getting the metal pack right away and will put a full review. I will especially look at the 5150 model and see how that is.

• Members

Fuzzball, unfortunately, I've never had a 5150 to compare against, but I will say the 5150 is one of the best sounding metal models on the XT, to me, regardless of whether it actually sounds like a real 5150.

FWIW, I HAVE heard a few real 5150 owners on the L6 forum say that they think it's a pretty darn good model with the right cab selected.

• Members

POD tip:

Just because you are running through an amp does not mean that it will sound the best calibrated for an amp. I have found that I prefer the direct setting when running my PODXT through the preamp input of my combo amp.

In other words try anything and mess around for the best results.

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball

Thanks for sharing, I will have to pich some more change so I can snag the metal pack soon (money is very tight right now).

feel free to post clips, tips, patch settings and any tricks!
:thu:

Stereo effects going stereo always sound better, but are you referring to a straight up distortion patch sounding better through a mono speaker when in stereo?

• Members

Hey guys, doing some research I came across this thread

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=016886

Check out his 5150 Mesa sounding patches here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=404561

Pretty sweet. =)

It is for the XT, I don't know how well it will convert over to the XTL, but I will definitely try Friday night.

• Members

I usualy run my PODXT through a mono amp, some times I run it through 2 amps at the same time. For recording I use several methods:

1) 1 line direct, the other to a miced amp
2) run lines to 2 amps and mic each amp separatly
3) run direct through a tube pre amp then into the recording unit.

I use the first 2 methods for a more live sound, I use the third for quick recording and back ground tracks that are not supposed to stick out. (or when I just feel lazy).:D

• Members

POD tip of the day:

It may be best to have several banks dedicated to types of sounds for example:

Bank 1 clean tones-for direct recording
Bank 2 clean tones -set to play through an amp
Bank 3 Rock tones- for direct recording
Bank 4 Rock tones -set to play through an amp.

:cool:

Don't forget to leave the knobs alone and just jam once and a while.

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball

I usualy run my PODXT through a mono amp, some times I run it through 2 amps at the same time. For recording I use several methods:

1) 1 line direct, the other to a miced amp

2) run lines to 2 amps and mic each amp separatly

3) run direct through a tube pre amp then into the recording unit.

I use the first 2 methods for a more live sound, I use the third for quick recording and back ground tracks that are not supposed to stick out. (or when I just feel lazy).
:D

How are you setting up your PODxt when you play it in front of your amp? So far, I just connect it to the guitar in jack of the amp and set the XTL on 2x12 combo.

• Members

I actualy use a preamp input (The PeaveyBandit 112S has one)!

I think it works better than using the guitar in. When I run it with the guitar in I set the POD for combo amp.

Most of the time I use the preamp input and keep the pod set for direct recording.

• Members

Tip of the day:

The PODxt (red unit) can also be used for Bass guitar. The rube amp patch can be tweeked and used to form some decent bass patches. I currently have a bass wah patch, clean patch, a distortin patch and a reverbed patch.

It may not equal the capability of the Bass POD but it is usable.

• Members

It may take me a while but I will get the metal pack, then I will test it against a real 5150 (I have a friend that has one). Many peopel say the unit doesent capture the real amp sounds well but I disagree I think it captures the Fender amps very well (I have compared the POD to several of the fender units that it is designed to similate and it does very well. I think that some people fail to realize is that you have to tweek patches in order to coplement your source that you are playing through. If you take time with the unit you will find that is a very amazing unit for the price.:thu:

• Members

When I try running my PodXT though an amp it always sounds like crap. Really thin, and just not usable at all. I run a cable though the left output into the input of the amp. I've tried using just barebones patches, but anything with distortion sounds terrible. Whats wrong?

Archived