Poll: Worse sounding Boss pedal

KjStrat62

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Could you imagine what would happen to those used prices if Boss suddenly started making them (in Japan of course) again, to the original specs?

Phil,

The psychology of GAS is a very funny thing. Everybody wants an SG-1 because you can't get one (reasonably), but I think it sounds horrible and only want it for the collectability factor. I think if they reissued that pedal it would just kill the price for the original. About a year ago I had Fender Blender GAS BAD!!. Then out came the reissue, and I remembered I didn't really like the sound and now I don't want either one. But just to help you out I'll take that PN-2 off your hands. :D

• Members
Originally posted by paydirt

Phil,

The psychology of GAS is a very funny thing. Everybody wants an SG-1 because you can't get one (reasonably), but I think it sounds horrible and only want it for the collectability factor. I think if they reissued that pedal it would just kill the price for the original. About a year ago I had Fender Blender GAS BAD!!. Then out came the reissue, and I remembered I didn't really like the sound and now I don't want either one. But just to help you out I'll take that PN-2 off your hands.
:D

I think the vintage values would be safe. I really don't think the people buying Spectrums and Slow Gears are doing it for the sound, they're doing it for their collection. Even if there was a re-issue, they still want both for completeness.

There's always this vibe that the original is better, look at the Tubescreamer.

As for the original question, my most unusable BOSS pedal is probably my PS-2, but it's not a bad pedal.

I also have a soft spot for the black distortion pedals that everyone seems t have, along with the Power Driver. Try it through a small combo and it's great, t really needs to be used as the name suggests, like a boost with balls.

• Members

I'll vote for this:
psm53hs.jpg
Because it doesn't make any sound but line noise, and its a pretty poor way to power your pedals, and isn't very good for an effects loop either.

The DF-2 is definately a gimmick pedal. Its just a DS-1 that can make a high pitched noise effect when pressed down. There are way worse Boss pedals though.

Originally posted by paydirt

Phil,

The psychology of GAS is a very funny thing.

Absolutely.
:)

Everybody wants an SG-1 because you can't get one (reasonably), but I think it sounds horrible and only want it for the collectability factor.

Most folks apparently agree with you about the sound - again, even back when they were new, no one used them. I did - and I actually really liked those pedals. They're sensitive beasts, and you have to set the sensitivity right and play a certain way, but they're great for the Phil Keaggy "violining" type stuff, as well as for faux pedal steel / volume swell licks.

I think if they reissued that pedal it would just kill the price for the original.

That's what I was thinking - at least for the SG-1, I think that's exactly what would happen. Other models, with wider appeal, might be another story though.

About a year ago I had Fender Blender GAS BAD!!. Then out came the reissue, and I remembered I didn't really like the sound and now I don't want either one.

I was never a big Blender fan, so I can understand.
;)

But just to help you out I'll take that PN-2 off your hands.

Unfortunately, like the Slow Gears, my old PN-2 is long gone - and if I wanted another one, it's probably going to cost me close to two bones.
:mad::cry:

Someone stated the Boss VB-2. I'm suprised!!

We were joking around.
:)

• Members
Originally posted by rockstrongo

None sound worse than this:

bossxt-2.gif

I used to work at a guitar store several years back, and we couldn't give these pieces of {censored} away.

+1. I picked one up a few months ago hoping they had been misunderstood by bluesmen, but that POS deserves the reputation it has. Horrible distortion, horrible EQ system that begins whith the sort of screeching treble that most pedals tone knob cops when maxed. I knew I wanted to shift it in 20 minutes.

• Members

Originally posted by jorgenkjellgren

Man, I still wake up screaming sometimes after having dreamt of a big, bad CS-3 coming to steal my tone. That blue piece of junk still put me off compressors for years.

+1

I tried to use it again recently, and it just made things sound worse on any setting I tried.

• Members

I'm really not a big fan of any of the boss pedals new in there stock form. I do like my Keeley TR2 and the DD20 though.

Other than those 2 pedals, I can't even think of another Boss pedal that I'd like to own. There are just way too many other great OD, boost, and fuzz/distortion pedals out there to own.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

HM3 >>>>MT2

HM3 is a great distortion for people who know how to tweak them and set their amp's EQ properly.

I've come up with useable tones with my old HM3. You gotta keep the treble and gain really really low. And bass pretty low. Otherwise, mids won't appear at all. That thing is scooped poop mids.

Archived