This thread is now about moderation in general.

Array

Good question...
I've doing this for 5 years now, at "Nuestro Foro" which started at Music Player.com and them moved into HC.

hat do you get out of moderating a discussion forum? I mean, it seems like it would be a tiresome, pain-in-the-ass kind of activity, like stage-managing a play for community theater or something..................

When things happen to work, you get the same as all other users: friends, information, shared experiences with real professionals. If you happen to travel, you can meet friends from other places which also think you're a friend because you all "talk" to each other in a daily basis, even when you have never met before in person.

I have learned a lot in these forums and I have helped a lot of people, too, in return to it.

Of course, there are some bad days. It is the eternal balance, I guess. Get the good stuff, deal with the 'not so bad' stuff.

To me, it's worth.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

We want Harmony Central to be Work Safe

?

Trying to be funny?

Safe for work is one of the dumbest concepts I have encountered. You're supposed to be working, not browsing forums.

If you want a santized environment, watch the Disney Channel.

• Members

We want Harmony Central to be Work Safe

I support this 100%.

I should not have to look over my shoulder when viewing threads on a keyboard forum, wondering what kind of foul imagery will spew forth.

You guys accuse the mods of fascism - then force your own agenda on everyone else by posting unsavory images.

No doubt many others share this point of view as well.

You did see the terms before you signed up?

Mods, please - do more to keep the foul images out of here.

There's no place for that on a keyboard forum.

• Members

then force your own agenda on everyone else by posting unsavory images.

What part of this don't you understand?

Language is fine - not everyone in the room has to be subjected to it.

Don't you all have your anarchic "new forum" for this kind of thing?

Why not go there where it is accepted and even encouraged and leave this to be a keyboard forum?

This ain't ImageShack...

• Members

Safe for work is one of the dumbest concepts I have encountered. You're supposed to be working, not browsing forums.

Well, part of the problem is, is that the IT people see what you're looking at out of context. They only see the URL and photo... Soo.....

http://www.fatbikinichicks.com/grandmajenkins.jpg

is all they see. They're right, sort of, for not wanting the unwitting reader to read about about cubase and find the above pic and then get in trouble for it.

But you're right too... your at work dammit.

So what do you do? I dont know.. make a KSS OT forum ? then not read it when you're at work ?

Im serious... Nobody here goes to open jam. Why ? It's like computer programmers and truck drivers.. WE NEED AN OT FORUM.

I support this 100%.

Foolish youngin hee hee .

Little Hitlers everwhere...

Aside from boys from brazil, that's what the internet tends to bring out in people.

• Members

All I want to know is this.

This increased level of moderator action... is it part of a wider initiative within HC to clean up the forums? Or is this one moderator's personal mission?

If the former, then we need to see some announcement listing the types of behavior that are no longer considered appropriate on this board. Even if it's just a note saying that the site's terms-of-use text is going to be more strictly enforced, the members here deserve to know.

If that latter, then I understand you, but you're doing more bad than good here. Get with the other moderators and establish a moderation strategy that is consistently implemented by all of the board's moderators.

• Members

You do know that HC was sold to Musician's Friend, right? This explains the MF and GC ads. Since these companies are huge, my guess is that they are trying to avoid any kind of a problem, or worse, litigation.

That's what it boils down to: the fact that it is now a commercially-owned forum.

• Members

While I agree with everything....

If the former, then we need to see some announcement listing the types of behavior that are no longer considered appropriate on this board. Even if it's just a note saying that the site's terms-of-use text is going to be more strictly enforced, the members here deserve to know.

Ive been saying that for months..

• Members

Originally posted by XorAxAx

This increased level of moderator action... is it part of a wider initiative within HC to clean up the forums? Or is this one moderator's personal mission?

Neither; it is simply moderators (plural) enforcing the "HC Terms of Service" as they have always done.

Simply look at the recent threads that have had moderator action:

-- personal attack threads (locked)

-- personal attack post (post edited)

-- posting of inappropriate image -- picture of naked woman with sub sandwich coming out of her behind (thread pulled)

These types of posts aren't new, nor are the inevitable complaints that follow about censorship/fascism/forum going down the tubes/if only we could go back to the good ol' days/the world is ending, etc. when moderators take action.

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

-- posting of inappropriate image -- picture of naked woman with sub sandwich coming out of her behind (thread pulled)

In my humble opinion, anyone who didn't find that picture funny must not have a pulse.

In any case, I disagree with threads getting pulled because of a picture. I fail to see how one picture can warrant the removal of an entire thread, particularly if it contains valuable material elsewhere. It's just as easy to remove an offensive post as it is an entire thread.

Which begs the question, with the exception of naked soccer gals, why wasn't the p120dUdE thread left in it's entirety? That thread had a great history and was a source of pride for many members, and should be restored.

• Members

Originally posted by G-bus

In my humble opinion, anyone who didn't find that picture funny must not have a pulse.

It's going to be a LOOOOOOONG time before I eat at Subway again.

Originally posted by G-bus

It's just as easy to remove an offensive post as it is an entire thread.

That would be a valid alternative approach, but I am not going to "second guess" the moderators.

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

It's going to be a LOOOOOOONG time before I eat at Subway again.

That would be a valid alternative approach, but I am not going to "second guess" the moderators.

Yes, so just give them carte blanche to do as they please. You are taking this position only because you are as tight-assed as they are and don't enjoy it when the other members try to keep it easy and fun. It's too bad, really.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

You are taking this position only because you are as tight-assed as they are and don't enjoy it when the other members try to keep it easy and fun.

I would kindly request that you not make disparaging comments about my posterior. It is very sensitive and you have hurt its feelings. Your only recourse now is to apologize by kissing it.

See, I can be "easy and fun"!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by protues9

At least consider splitting the forum into two, one on topic discussion and one off topic social, and let us in a democratic manner decide on what the rules of conduct (in conjuction with HC) are (aside from the legal and non legal no no's) and have them posted in a sticky in each thread, and have the moderators and users a like responsible for following them.

I think there's enough dedicated synth peple that would warrant another social forum.

At least try it out...

Isn't this the service that AK is providing?

• Members
Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Yep, I'd say that probably age has something to do with the "rebel/anarchic/nobody loves me/you don't agree with what I say? you're a fascist!!" attitude. They'll grow up eventually. [not a sermon, just an observation]

Wait..are you condoning what was basically a vulgar personal attack by the poster you quoted? That's the most harsh thing I have seen posted here in days.....

:confused:

None of these threads that have been getting locked violate forum rules. But the angry, vulgar personal attack post from Roald does.

• Members

Mike are you really THAT simple? please...should I help you cross the street, tie your shoelaces?

If you think I have the time to find out exactly who started attacking who, you're damn wrong. And I think Yoozer or any other moderator also has better hobbies than to tidy up your (you as in 'all of you') pathetic discussions.

I just find that the pages get cluttered with useless personal attacks. That is pretty -simple- to find out.

So shut up and do something about it.

• Members
Originally posted by Mike51

Wait..are you condoning what was basically a vulgar personal attack by the poster you quoted? That's the most harsh thing I have seen posted here in days.....

None of these threads that have been getting locked violate forum rules. But the angry, vulgar personal attack post from Roald does.

You're right. I do not condone Roald's style in this post, and I should have pointed that out too. I'm doing that now. Frankly, we've all been wrapped up into this "us versus them" thing that I didn't even notice his harsh style - I was only looking at the fact that he thinks it's mostly kids doing this, and I was agreeing with him on that point. I do not condone his style in this thread, even though I can see he's getting frustrated about this.

I think we all need to chill out, and stop:

1. Posting threads that lead nowhere, only to us spinning our wheels
2. Fueling the fire by adding comments to these pointless diatribes
3. Go make and record SOME MUSIC
4. Be more understanding of each other.

Archived