This thread is now about moderation in general.

Array

• Members
Originally posted by scubyfan

There was a time

And then you went away. What's left of that senior member credit?

regulated everything

You regulated nothing. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a cry for mods at all.

but they failed to do their jobs.

Do you think anyone fails to swim when you have concrete shoes? You got it your way - we couldn't do anything because you were afraid we'd go fascist.

Then came more rules from above, including Dave, which made things worse.

It made things better, actually.

This forum sucks now compared to what it was about 2 years ago. I doubt it will ever be the same again.
:(

Now that that's settled, you can disappear for another few months and then show up and lament about the good old times.

I don't see any of you "old hands" improving anything - just complaining.

Originally posted by G-bus

If someone acted like a dick, forum members would let them know about it.

It was an atmosphere of respect, loyalty and self-preservation.
And pestering P120Dude. And complaining HERE about how people treat you on ANOTHER forum.

Powers who are unfamiliar with this forum's history, it's members, it's community, and it's modus operandi.

Yes. That's why I've got a registration date that only goes back to 2001. Clearly, anyone before 1993 is a greenhorn who's not to be trusted. :rolleyes:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by protues9

this is steadily becoming a synthesizer elementary school, and were working on our masters here. So it's less and less appealing to visit.

I have to take issue with that. There are smart people who can learn synthesis and in turn contribute back to the community. It's a kind of karmic duty. I consider myself one of these people, and as having graduated from elementary into intermediate synthery. I can and already do help others when possible. This sort of personal development, I argue, is significantly beneficial to the forum.

Now, these aren't the same people who write threads like "Need a phat synth under $100". Those indeed are a nuisance and could/should be dealt with in a FAQ.

• Members

Yeaaaaaa........ but we've done our duty for the last 5-7 years maybe.

It seems to be the flavor on everyboard i'm on. I'm not saying you're wrong.. I've spent hours and hours answering questions myself...

But it seems most boards get to a point where it's either basic or intermediate questions that are going around. It seems the higher level stuff is a matter of personal experience rather than something that can learned through dialogue. Sure theres tips and all to pick up... but most of the questions that get asked are typically "what synth is good for this?". Which gets old.. most of the higher level people, end up talking about wha'ts new, what's coming out ect, and that even gets old.. so what are we down to ? just having a good time..

and it seems the cops just wanna bust my crops.. and take my door away.. or something :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by protues9

It seems the higher level stuff is a matter of personal experience rather than something that can learned through dialogue.

I mostly agree with you, with one exception. There, I am still learning advanced stuff from other advanced players. But I'm not going to mention the name, for fear of 3rd grader fistfights spilling over to there from here.

:rolleyes:

• Members

but they failed to do their jobs.

Sorry Yoozer but that one is true. As mods you guys get stuck in participating in these stupid pointless arguements, let things around here go on for far too long, and don't treat everyone equally. The fact that both of them have not been banned is rediculous.

There are ways for us regular posters to take actions into our own hands like creating tons of nonsense posts over and over making the forum useless....

• Members

When I first arrived here (looking for info on getting back into keyboards) there was a spat going on about something. Right now there's a spat going on about something. There's always a spat going on about something. Human nature, I guess.

I think the moderators are doing just fine. Supportive and knowledgeable and, when necessary, not afraid to cut a silly thread short or remove an offensive photo.

For awhile, I spent a lot of time here. Right now less so because I don't have any burning questions and I'm not lonely or alienated at home. It's a keyboard forum, it's not my life. If it's your life, you'd do well to do some hard thinking.

• Members
Originally posted by Yoozer

And then you went away. What's left of that senior member credit?

You regulated
nothing
. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a cry for mods at all.

Do you think anyone fails to swim when you have concrete shoes? You got it your way - we couldn't do anything because you were afraid we'd go fascist.

It made things better, actually.

Now that that's settled, you can disappear for another few months and then show up and lament about the good old times.

I don't see any of you "old hands" improving
anything
- just complaining.

It was an atmosphere of respect, loyalty and self-preservation

And pestering P120Dude. And complaining HERE about how people treat you on ANOTHER forum.

Yes. That's why I've got a registration date that only goes back to 2001. Clearly, anyone before 1993 is a greenhorn who's not to be trusted.

And what can any of us do when there is thread locking, thread deleting, user banning, and in general extra control coming from the top? That's the reason why I left in the first place: a few people thinking they're gods and doing what they please. I came back hoping for a different forum, but no. It has only gotten worse.

• Members

This place goes through this type of nonsense every year or so and its "usually" because of an individual or pair of such. The types that can't be goddamned happy unless they have the LAST word.
They pontificate over the same nonsense again and again. They dredge up outdated and useless old threads or old dogma that was spouted previously. And what for? To try and get a rise out of the other.

Personally, I think its GOOD that the mod locked the completely retarded threads that had no place to begin with. The occasional OT that isn't out there to piss someone else off doesn't count here.

Sure the p120dude thread is nonsense, but it doesn't go around masquerading as something its not. It definitely isn't something designed to get a rise out of anyone in a BAD way either. In fact I like to think we've had some really good laughs in there.

The OAYSIS arguement has been made a multitude of times. Ya either like it or ya dont, and for your own reasons. Like any other synth out there.

For the ones that simply cannot let it go...

In short....

I think some of ya'all need to simply grow the hell up.

• Members
Originally posted by scubyfan

And what can any of us do when there is thread locking, thread deleting, user banning, and in general extra control coming from the top?

I leave this one open. Rest of 'm are spinoff threads. I don't think it's a good idea to have the entire frontpage shat up by a statement that is apparently so hard to sell that a single time won't do - I mean, the sticky threads are bad enough as it is.

a few people thinking they're gods and doing what they please.

That description fits a few members that aren't moderators just wonderfully :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by EerieDreamZ

Sure the p120dude thread is nonsense, but it doesn't go around masquerading as something its not. It definitely isn't something designed to get a rise out of anyone in a BAD way either. In fact I like to think we've had some really good laughs in there.

Agreed.. the original p120dude thread really should be restored.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

I don't think it's a good idea to have the entire frontpage shat up by a
statement that is apparently so hard to sell
that a single time won't do

That reminds me of one of the climactic scenes in the 1995 movie "American President":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112346/

President Andrew Shepard:

I've known Bob Rumson for years, and I've been operating under the assumption that the reason Bob devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well, I was wrong.
Bob's problem isn't that he doesn't get it. Bob's problem is that he can't sell it.

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious men to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, friend, I promise you, Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it.

• Members

I have been a lurker for a couple of years and I remember back when the forum was all about new sounds technique and helping out us newbies.

I now see lots of threads and comments that are no more than playground talk IE: than miss he called me a name etc.

Whilst us newbies need help with midi, what gear do I need etc I do see a need for kss to be split into 3.

1) Intermediate/Advanced synthesis

2) Midi basics to advanced for all us technophobes and newbies to getting gear to talk to each other.

3) What gear do I need, Which keyboard/Synth is best

Possibly 4 a bitching thread for martin and array and any other childish behaviour that is needed to sort out differences between 2 senior members who seem to be having a senior moment (no offence intended as I am new here and I dont know them personally)

I dont know if I have rambled too much if I have I appologise

tris

:wave::confused::eek:

• Members

Originally posted by EerieDreamZ

Excuse me?

Ok, I'll say it slower this time...

Caaaaan the BeeeeeeBeeeeeEsssss fassssssssscissssssm ssssssssupporrrrrrrrrterssss go masssssstubaaaaaate in a priiiiiiiiiivate roooooooom or ssssssssssomethinnnnnnnnng? Kaaaaaaaay thhhhhhhaaaaaaaankssssss.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

• Members
Originally posted by FatBaron

Caaaaan the BeeeeeeBeeeeeEsssss fassssssssscissssssm ssssssssupporrrrrrrrrterssss go masssssstubaaaaaate in a priiiiiiiiiivate roooooooom or ssssssssssomethinnnnnnnnng? Kaaaaaaaay thhhhhhhaaaaaaaankssssss.

• Members
Originally posted by FatBaron

another of those "add more fuel to the fire" types

You can add yourself to the grow up pile too.:rolleyes:

Hi Array -and all-

Now that you have made public my PM, it is ok. I have nothing to hide and I will seize the chance to answer you here, publicly:

You argue a lot. I like that! because that only means ONE THING: YOU DO LIKE THIS FORUM and it might be -I could be wrong, though - that you -and all guys like you!- are interested on keep participating for whatever reasons you may have.

A forum is a public place, but privately owned, so it has rules. Please, follow the rules and the TERMS and we all can keep being a part of the forum.

That include, as you pasted above, not attacking other users. That include moderators.

Moderate your language -or otherwise we will moderate it-. What would yo say to me if I asked, in the same "innocent" and "candid" way, if you are a {censored}ing retarded?

I agree, you were quoting "Chick"s signature. Did it have sense to do it? Was it positive for the thread? I am afraid it was not. Complain when I edit / delete a very personal opinion of you that do not break any of the rules.

We want Harmony Central to be Work Safe, for all ages -the most!- and the moderators team are here only to make the TERMS be accomplished, Not to be attacked or look for enemies.

Personally I have no time for personal bashing. I volunteered as co-moderator at the KSS and I'll stand to it. If you simply do not like me, you can just keep as far from me as you can. I'll have no bad feelings at all.

Have a good day.

• Members
Originally posted by Gus Lozada

I do not get paid for co-moderating this Forum.

All the fun comes for free.

:wave:

Okay, here's an overly intelligent (maybe!) but still straightforward (I hope........) question:

What do you get out of moderating a discussion forum? I mean, it seems like it would be a tiresome, pain-in-the-ass kind of activity, like stage-managing a play for community theater or something..................

[if that's too personal a question, apologies, apologies ;) ]

Archived