This thread is now about moderation in general.

Array

• Members

Originally posted by FatBaron

Ok, I'll say it slower this time...

Caaaaan the BeeeeeeBeeeeeEsssss fassssssssscissssssm ssssssssupporrrrrrrrrterssss go masssssstubaaaaaate in a priiiiiiiiiivate roooooooom or ssssssssssomethinnnnnnnnng? Kaaaaaaaay thhhhhhhaaaaaaaankssssss.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

--------------------------------------------------------

Moderation is NEEDED when the world is full of ignorant belligerent individuals that obviously do not respect themselves enough to value their OWN opinions enough to know that if their view differs from someone else's, then the other person isn't necessarily WRONG.

Your comments prove you are ignorant and juvenile and you've just proved it to everyone present. You must be one of the ignorant masses that NEEDS a babysitter to keep them in line. It is evident that only ignorant people are breeding these days and the world is filling up fast...

Open minded intelligent people need to start making babies - fast! Maybe they will grow up to be Moderators...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by protues9

yet the post isnt edited nor the thread locked

When you join the HC Forums, you agree to abide by the Harmony Central "Terms of Use". If you logout, then select "register" you can see them.

A few key sections from these terms of use:

You understand and agree that HC or its agents may review and delete any content, messages, photos or profiles (collectively, "Content")
that in the sole judgment of HC or its agents
violates this Agreement or which might be offensive, illegal, that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of Members or in any way be deemed unsuitable by HC.

This means "HC" gets to alter or remove any content THEY (or their agents, i.e. moderators) see fit.

The Terms of Use can not completely describe every type of unacceptable content but there is this (I have removed some sentences):

The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited on the Website. HC reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action in its sole discretion against anyone who violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending communication from the Service and terminating the membership of such violators. It includes, but is not limited to, Content that:

-- is patently offensive to the online community, such as Content --- that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

-- harasses or advocates harassment of another person;

-- involves the transmission of "junk mail," "chain letters," or unsolicited mass mailing or "spamming";

-- promotes information that you know is false, misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;

Moderators therefore must use their own judgement in determining whether content violates these rules.

Moderators, like any human being, won't be perfect.

.. maybe it'll just be deleted, since the contents will be deemed invalid for the sake of one post that could have been edited......

Hasn't this point already been mentioned a few times in this thread?

• Members

that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

So there you go.. yet making fun of the mentally handicaped is, ok, since the picture hasn't been removed or the thread deleted.. which means the rules mean jack {censored}. Which also means the mods aren't any better than anyone, since the seem to pick and choose which rules to follow.

suck that.

• Members

So there you go.. yet making fun of the mentally handicaped is, ok,

I would suggest that a picture about the mentally handicapped, while insensitive, does not "promote racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm".

Again, a moderator has to use their own judgement. There isn't a specific rule covering "pictures of the mentally handicapped".

Which also means the mods aren't any better than anyone

This point is irrelevant. The moderators, as "agents of HC", have the right to alter (or not alter) any content they see fit. YOU AGREED to these terms when you joined the forum.

You may not like these terms, but you agreed to them.

As another example, I have had some of my "best work" (specific posts) deleted from this forum. I may not like it, and I may wish those posts would have remained for all to see, but I accept it because I agreed to the HC Terms of Use.

So there you go.. yet making fun of the mentally handicaped is, ok, since the picture hasn't been removed or the thread deleted.. which means the rules mean jack {censored}. Which also means the mods aren't any better than anyone, since the seem to pick and choose which rules to follow.

You made a great point:
Moderators ARE NOT BETTER than anyone else here.

OF COURSE!! It is great you finally figured it out.

We are just regular folks, doing some service on mantaining the User's Terms accomplished.

It is actually easy when people can live with the fact some forums have moderators. Some others do not. It is your choice where to participate.

And we will keep doing our job, even if we are subject to commit mistakes.

Thanks for helping me out this time to find that I was actually wrong.

:wave:

suck that.

Ditto !

• Members

suck that.

That wasn't directed at you ...

But you see, my point being, I like it here.. and I can deal with mods; I just want it to be clear and consistent. I dont think that's unfair to ask; and that's all i've ever argued for.

I would like to see a short list of rules in a sticky, with a process for filing a griveance that the mods can refer memebers to and vice versa.

9 times out of 10, I take the don't want to see it dont look approach.

The scenario I don't care for is something like thread A doesnt really offend Moderator A, so it stays, Thread B has a picture in it that Moderator B doesn't like, and although thread B was an on topic discussion until said picture, the whole thread gets deleted.

Down here, it just seems like were subjected to a whim .. and I hope you can understand how that's frustrating. In fact, I didnt know we had two new moderators.. Last I knew it's was Kiru and yoozer, and kiru was inactive. That could have been at least a asticky for a week or two.

• Members

I don't post much here any more, but I lurk a lot. And I want to express my support for the moderators. They've demonstrated a light hand, made easier because there isn't much content here that needs moderated. So, kudos to everyone.

But really, in those occasional instances where a thread calls out another forumite by name, that thread should just be deleted immediately, no? After all, who wants to see their own name in an attack thread? And some of us, such as Martin, and myself, post using our real names. I would hope that a moderator would wipe out an ill-intentioned thread that was directed at me.

My $.02.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Dejavoodoo

I suggest a new warning for threads, much like the current "Spam" and "OT" warnings we have now.

"DT" for Drama Thread.

I like that.

• Members

i think editing someones post that doesnt have pictures of naked people or feces is really really really gay. like powertrip authority figure gay. get over yourself.

someone who is a relative outsider to this forum should NOT be a moderator.

this forum was doing just FINE with yooz as our only mod. remember when we all dicussed having a mod initially (how long ago was that)? it was decided the ONLY reason for the mod was to move and sticky the occasional thread..

just let it be known that i think this whole mess is {censored}ing horse {censored}.

but whatever. im a bored mother{censored}er. and watching this superiority complex douche is entertaining.

now DANCE monkey DANCE!

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Mook

I think someone who has had a personality bypass operation should NOT be a moderator.

Did that really happen?

Originally posted by flukewurm

this forum was doing just FINE with yooz as our only mod. remember when we all dicussed having a mod initially (how long ago was that)? it was decided the ONLY reason for the mod was to move and sticky the occasional thread..

Yoozer asked for some extra help, since the other mod wasn't really active for more than one year. Then, Paolo and I volunteered.

Just Ask him!

someone who is a relative outsider to this forum should NOT be a moderator.

Someone who is not willing to follow the place's rules, should not participate.

It is very easy, you actually defined it so well:

the ONLY reason for the mod was to move and sticky the occasional thread..

.. and keep the site's policies followed. Do not forget that.

If you do not like me, or Yoozer, or Paolo, just stay as far and away from us... and behave.

Then, everything will be fine for all. No threads to edit, no pics to delete, only deleting SPAM threads and stuff like that.

Deal?

• Members

this forum was doing just FINE with yooz as our only mod.

Well, I wasn't doing that fine myself :(.

Kiru's gone and didn't mention anything (but it appears he has returned on Analog Kid's forum). I can't get to KSS at work anymore to check up from time to time, and I'm much more busy at home now that I'm living together, so yes, I asked for some assistance.

Also, I noticed that the comment that I wasn't doing my job dropped more than once, so that's why I asked. I told 'm in advance that the job sucked :D.

Archived