Recording a demo - some advice please !

ollenorin

• Members

i hate recording "live" because the entire time i'm thinking "hey, i wonder if this is going to come out well? hey, did the drummer miss a beat?! damn, i clicked the string with my pick. woah! why is the other guitarist's distortion so loud? songs almost over....i think we're going to make it..."

so, in short, don't do that. that's my advice. learn to let go and be one with your fellow musicians and the music. allow it to flow freely as a communion between souls. oh, and drink lots of beer.

:thu:

• Members

There must be no surprices. Know what you are going to record. BAnds fall apart during recordings because that is the point where people are going to complane about parts the others are playing. (Did you play this all the time???)Do the complaining(giving feedback) before recording.

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

ok...

1. drink lots of beers

2. dont make any mistake and have the best sound possible

anything else ?

the only thing i can think of to mention is leave out the "unnecessary" parts. if you can play the song without the keyboard, do so--just add it afterwards. basically that's one less person to mess up, one less piece of gear to crap out, one less sound source so that everyone can hear what's going on.

just a thought.

but i guess you figured that out since you mentioned recording vox/2nd guitar later. :idea:

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

ok...

1. drink lots of beers

2. dont make any mistake and have the best sound possible

anything else ?

Yeah, bring the girlfriends along and constantly ask them what they think.

• Members

Listen to the engineer

If he wants to tweak your settings, let him, if he thinks you need less guitar in the mix, let him. It may be going against 'your' sound, but he has experience in setting up and recording bands and should know exactly what he is doing

Practise, practise, practise. A few flubs or minor cock ups can be ignored or covered live, but for recording you need to be perfect every time, so you can walk in, play it straight through without any mistakes and walk out again. So practise until you can play the song in your sleep, then practise some more before laying it down, especially recording with a full band live you can't waste time doing take after take for everyone making little mistakes here and there.

Relax beforehand, get an early night, dont go out on the piss, etc... Just to make doubly sure you are wide awake and alert to do the job as well as you can on the day with no hangover or being half asleep missing your cues

Have all your gear sorted perfectly beforehand, so you don't have to spend hours setting up and plugging in everything, so note down settings and any extra patching you need to do (all the cables between amps and pedalboard and so on) so you can walk in and have everything ready in minutes

David

• Members

Play everything simpler than you think it needs.
Less drum fills, stripped down guitar parts.

Maybe your band is different, but it seems like most people could play half of what they play usually.

• Members

Originally posted by skatan

if you have no time just get one song right

totally agree...

we just did a demo 6 months ago... we had lots of material so we couldn't decide on which ones to do so we just came up with a top 5. We just did the best takes we could do live off the floor and those were it. But there was no time left for overdubs and correcting vocal errors. It was just something to show to clubs to get booked. It's worked but we're not too proud of it.

Take the time to get them right and you will be happy. If you don't get all three done, hopefully you will have 1 or 2 kickass tracks.

• Members

Narco says it right. You do what you do, let the engineer do what he does. Know what you want to do ahead of time. The more you rely on adding to the track/editing down parts after the fact, the more likely it is that it'll either never get done or sound like butt.

• Members

like others have said, plan the day well, get the arrangements tight, go for fewer songs, let the engineer get on with it.

if you play "live" in the studio, the important thing is to get a really solid rythmn section happening. just play a basic solid rythmn guitar part and leave all the fills, etc, for the overdubs. don't overplay.

as far as overdubs go, rank them in priority. obviously vocals will be first, but decide ahead of time what matters more from backing vocals, guitar fills, keys, etc.

if it is a demo, and not an EP in disguise, do fewer songs, or just do one. if you are short on time 4 songs is ambitious. these days 1-2 songs is enough for a demo and to have something downloadable from your band site.

• Members

Hey, olle...

My band just did three songs a couple of weeks ago. I recorded everything in our practice space on {censored} prosumer equipment. Every track was pretty much the first take (we wanted it raw/sloppy/ natural sounding)

We decided to track rhythm guitar and drums at once and do a few overdubs on top (other guitar, vox, bass). Save yourself the trouble of having to isolate bass cabs and just get a scratch guitar track going. Helps maintain the live feel but is much more convenient...

The live tracking thing is fine if you have the facilities/equipment, go for it, but too many problems can arise for those of us doing it on the cheap...

Here are the two songs I have mixed...

• Members

don't forget to show us the final product! :thu:

well i just helped recording a young punk band but it wasn't live recording. it turned out really great. some things i've learned that maybe are helpful:

1) double the heavy guitar parts. i think it was the qotsa producer who said double as much as you can. that means that you should put at least 2 mics for each guitar cab you are using and have the one in the balance all left and the other one all right. that gives the heavy stuff so much more vibe.. no need for clean parts to do that.

2) maybe try putting different cabs and/or mics up for your guitar so you can mix and get interesting results. we used my fender super 210 that had 2x10" speaker and a sm57 in front. underneath we had a 15" bass box where we put a md421 and in the back of the fender we put a bass drum mic..

but as much as it can be fun to mess around, don't experiment too much for you have not much time. just think about it and do it that way. it's no problem to get rid of a track with the mic in the back of a amp for example.

3) practice practice practice

4) be calm and enjoy the time. it was a lot of fun when we did the recording. i think that helped a lot.

5) if the sound engineer tells you this or that.. do it. as narco said they know better what sounds good on the record and what not.

6) as you do live recordings just let it flow.. ;)

ALL THE BEST.

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

i hate recording "live" because the entire time i'm thinking "hey, i wonder if this is going to come out well? hey, did the drummer miss a beat?! damn, i clicked the string with my pick. woah! why is the other guitarist's distortion so loud? songs almost over....i think we're going to make it..."

Before multitrack recording that's how everybody did it. I love hearing mistakes on old 45's. Like this one funk instrumental I've got, the pianist and the guitarist try to solo at the same time, and the guitarist backs down into a rythm part.

• Members

I like to have a guide vocal,just as a reference during the recording, you can lay down proper vocals later on
if you can, lay down the drums separately, or set up the drum in a separate room to avoid bleed through on other tracks, same thing goes if you want to record loud amps
as far as sounds go, if you're laying down a dirty sound, just add some extra dirt so it turns out dirty enough in the final mix
make use of the studio tricks, if a song has 2 identical parts, you only need to lay down one part and copy/paste it ...
tune up before you lay down anything, make sure the drumkit is in good shape as well, properly tuned, and that it does not produce unwanted noise, like squeaky footpedals ...

• Members

We like to talk in detail about what we want each song to sound like and discuss it with the engineer/producer before hand. If you can provide him with rough tracks it can help a lot. We also like to have a list of every overdub we want and what we want to use for it.

In my opinion, the 2 biggest problems recording are not enough rehearsal and/or planning, which both cause wasted time/money.
Both are easy to fix. Make sure you're ready and you know what you need to do, so you're not scratching your ass for a lot of $ and you can just relax and play. Recording is fun as hell if you're prepared.

Archived