Wattson Classic Electronics Superfuzz (with clips!)

echodeluxe

• Members

that was not an answer.

either way, you seem pretty immature for whatever age you are. point being, why dont you just relax. i never attacked you, but you have done nothing but that since the beginning. when the pedal comes out, you can have one for free, and then you can make thousands of threads about how {censored}ty it is and how metal film caps make your ears bleed.

but until then, do you think you could ease up a bit? if you really have a problem with me then fine, but honestly, i havent done anything to you, but you have been slinging mud at me constantly.

im just asking for a truce.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

okay well, im getting plenty of flak as would be expected. i will show you guys some key points in the build, as well as comparisons with a vintage super fuzz and some other stuff. i wont be posting much, but i will make some updates and you can PM me with questions.

ill let you know whats up. thanks for everyone who didnt {censored} all over my dreams haha.

and a bigger thanks to those that did. the prize is sweeter when youve got to fight to get it.

• Members

I thank Puretube on DIYstomps.com for putting my attention to this thread. I have difficulty doing this in general so let's leave this aside.

A few sidethoughts,
First of all, no flame intended at your person echodeluxe, but the name Ned Flanders did ring me a bell. Yours didn't. That's no problem at all. It does hover illustrate that the guy may have been around a little longer in the DYI, or, bouteek as it's called here, arena. He may be cynical but has a few very good points.

This thread does explain to me the sudden rise in inquiries in my own mailbox on this subject, especially, and stressed in those mails, since I do own one of these FY6-es and therefore have the option of a one to one comparison. When doing a clone the way you are planning the advice ob obtaining one before going live with your version may indeed be a very good one. The Shin Ei FY6 comes in multiple varieties which cannot be recognized by the looks of the case alone. The version you are building shoud therefore be a) very close to the original Univox, an b) clearly stated to be different from other versions. My FY6 is fully original but very different from your version.

Yes, those Shin Ei's have a sound which people may like. I don't and prefer te Shin Ei Fuzz-wah fuzz by far. However, you do seem, as has been pointed out multiple times in this thread that components have their own characteristics which have changed with new production methods. A simple capacitance meter will not detect those, neither will the ohm seting on your or my multimeter. You will also not hear that single cap being a modern one. You will hear the sonic differences when all components are made in the production methodology of it's time. If you think this is crap you may browse cap discussions amomg the vintage amplifier guys for a while. One cap and the other will not be the same anymore.. other than the capacitance.

Which leaves me with nothing else than wish you a lot off succes with you clone project. I'ts going to take a lot of time, headaches, and finance. The fact that you're willing to take those risks is worth a compliment. Have a good one:thu:

• Members

Echodeluxe, I would be very interested to see and hear the final product. I have incoming an original Apollo Fuzz (rebadged Superfuzz) and a National FW-939 Fuzz Wah which is a rebadged Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz Wah-same fuzz circuit as the Apollo and Superfuzz and the coveted Shaftsebury Duo Fuzz which is rarer then Hen's Teeth. I am on a Paul Stacey kick right now after seeing him with The Black Crowes 4 times over the last 4 months. He users the Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz Wah for fuzz only live and also owns and uses with his solo band a Duo Fuzz. I think I will definitely have a means to compare your replica to an original circuit. Contact me anytime.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
i thought you guys might wanna take a look at the schematic we drafted. hasnt been scrutinized for mistakes, its a preliminary drawing. check out the "vintage correct" part numbers.

Suprfuzz.gif

C5 is reversed. The positive side of the electrolytic should face Q2's emitter. Also, you have your diodes(CR1, CR2) labeled as "DA-90". It should be "OA-90".

A nice mod to this circuit, for those interested, is to put a 25k-50k linear taper pot between C13 and ground. It makes the scoop variable.

Also, just a bit from personal experience. "Electronically the same" does not necessarily equal "sounds the same". You can make a nice updated version however using more modern components. It wouldn't be a true clone, in my opinion, but that wouldn't necessarily make it any less valid as a pedal.

Best of luck on your pedal building adventure !

Going off on a tangent here

A funny thing will happen if you ask just about any electrical engineer about germanium transistors : They'll almost invariably say something to the effect of "why the hell would you want those, when silicon's are so much better". Coincidentally, most electrical engineers think solid state is far superior to tube.

• Members

im looking into doing a production run of a really sweet clone of a univox super fuzz, the later version with the balance trimmer. what do ya think?

I WOULD :eek::thu: :thu:

As it is the only pedal Poison Ivy used with the CRAMPS and they are not made any more :cry: . . . and i would LOVE to own a 100% accurate clone :evil:!!!

Archived