Wattson Classic Electronics Superfuzz (with clips!)

echodeluxe

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well freaking awsome!

ill post progress on the prototype build and some clips as soon as i can, and when the chassis design is finalized ill give you all a sneak peek.

ill post the layout tonight if i can.

and yeah, it will have a 9volt adaptor jack. except for that, vintage specs all the way!

• Members

I think youll have a hard time beating the Malekko in terms of a great new small analog delay.

im not looking to "beat" anyone, but i am looking to bring something new or at least something useful to the table in that respect. im not looking to reinvent the analog delay wheel, but i am looking to implement some cool features and make it affordable. key word being affordable. and thats a big deal with analog delays.

i would like to know what BBD chips hes using in his delays though. hopefully not NOS.

• Members

The new chips have some clipping issues and generally dont sound as good. If youre using 3207s youll have to use a lot of them to get decent delay time since its only a 1024 step BBD so that will drive the costs up too. 3207s are great for chorues but if you want decent delay time like people will request you should probably use 3205s of some sort.

• Members

The new chips have some clipping issues and generally dont sound as good. If youre using 3207s youll have to use a lot of them to get decent delay time since its only a 1024 step BBD so that will drive the costs up too. 3207s are great for chorues but if you want decent delay time like people will request you should probably use 3205s of some sort.

yes i am aware of all of that, ive already done a ton of research. for delay, the spec of the 3207's seem the best option right now. ganged up in 4, it will produce the same delay time as a DMM. cost isnt gonna be a big issue.

• Members

yes i am aware of all of that, ive already done a ton of research. for delay, the spec of the 3207's seem the best option right now. ganged up in 4, it will produce the same delay time as a DMM. cost isnt gonna be a big issue.

4 MN3207s is only going to give you about 4000 stages which is under 200ms at good quality, at least quality good enough to make people want your delay. You would need at least 8 and probably 10 of them to make it to 550ms and as you increase the number of BBDs you also decrease the quality of the delay. Give your design a shot and see if 4 new production 3207s sound anything like a DMM. They wont.

• Members

4 MN3207s is only going to give you about 4000 stages which is under 200ms at good quality, at least quality good enough to make people want your delay. You would need at least 8 and probably 10 of them to make it to 550ms and as you increase the number of BBDs you also decrease the quality of the delay. Give your design a shot and see if 4 new production 3207s sound anything like a DMM. They wont.

not making a DMM clone.

• Members

also the DMM used the MN3005 which is a 4096 stage BBD.

the MN3207 is a 1024 stage BBD, and 4 will give me 4096 stages, which is, if im doing the math correctly, is the same amount of stages as the MN3005.

i dont understand where you are getting 8 or 10. that would be way too many, and what kind of clock rate do you think these analog BBDs are running?

its not digital, at your math, you are saying the clock is running at 20khz. on a delay? FOR GUITARS? i dont think so, this isnt hifi.

• Members

for delay, the spec of the 3207's seem the best option right now. ganged up in 4, it will produce the same delay time as a DMM. cost isnt gonna be a big issue.

what i meant here was 4 to replace one MN3005, if thats what you meant by using 8, you are right. sorry for the confusion.

i havent even got any sample quantities of the MN3207's and if they have clipping issues, i guess ill figure that out once i have them on my bench. there are lots of ways to deal with clipping in the analog front end.

the entire reason for using the MN3207 is that they are currently being manufactured. designing a new product that requires NOS parts is nuts.

• Members

Ok....correct me if I'm wrong on my fuzz lore. There's basically 4 kinds of vintage fuzz designs:

Fuzz Face

Tonebender

Muff

And then the Superfuzz. The sf is different than all those other ones, right? I mean as different as those other three are from each other? If so, what's it like?

Echo mentioned that nobody makes a superfuzz copy right now. I know Black Cat made something called a superfuzz, was that just a name or was it really a copy of a superfuzz?

I'm interested in this for sure. Some day I picture my board with one good copy of each type of fuzz.

• Members

Ok....correct me if I'm wrong on my fuzz lore. There's basically 4 kinds of vintage fuzz designs:

Fuzz Face

Tonebender

Muff

And then the Superfuzz. The sf is different than all those other ones, right? I mean as different as those other three are from each other? If so, what's it like?

Echo mentioned that nobody makes a superfuzz copy right now. I know Black Cat made something called a superfuzz, was that just a name or was it really a copy of a superfuzz?

I'm interested in this for sure. Some day I picture my board with one good copy of each type of fuzz.

ill post some clips when we get the prototype finished.

anyone with super fuzz experience wanna chime in?

• Members

from the black cat website:

"The Black Cat Superfuzz is based on the 1970s Univox superfuzz which is quite a popular fuzz pedal with a decent wallop of upper octave. They also are cool on bass - you can hear it on the most rockin' Beastie Boys song SABOTAGE."

its got an upper octave with a little bit of a lower octave sound. very thick and versatile, my fave fuzz for sure.

the black cat super fuzz retails for $155

• Members

You got them nailed on the price if you hit $120! Plus the black cat looks really cheap, like "mom, can borrow the label maker?" cheap.

BTW, I just looked up black cat and found a sound sample on analoman's site. That's an AWESOME sounding fuzz. If their's is a good copy and represents what we're talking about here, I just might be a customer when you get this thing going!

• Members

You got them nailed on the price if you hit $120! Plus the black cat looks really cheap, like "mom, can borrow the label maker?" cheap.

BTW, I just looked up black cat and found a sound sample on analoman's site. That's an AWESOME sounding fuzz. If their's is a good copy and represents what we're talking about here, I just might be a customer when you get this thing going!

yeah that fuzz does sound great! they did a pretty good job. im confident our clone will be as good if not better than the black cat version. im trying to stick with vintage aesthetic/sound, so its gonna be as close as you can get without dropping $300-$500.

Archived