Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Members
That's my whole point! Guys like SRV, Clapton, and Moore all have to play DOWN to the level of BB King. No one should ever have to play down to the level of a 'great'.

TOtally agree! If BB king is THAT good....then why the heck should better players like Gary Moore go DOWN to BB's school kid guitar playing level? This has nothing to do with respect.

If you're not good enough to share the same stage as Gary Moore...you better dont even think of doing it! Gary will tear you up in pieces. Oh...Gary has far more soul in his playing than you guys will ever have.

Try asking BB to play his own signature 3 notes solo in gary's classic 'Still got the blues'. You'll be bored to death after hearing BB play! It's always the same, same ,same old recycled {censored}.

I tried to be fair to BB...so I watched many of his videos in youtube. Sigh....the more I see...the more bored I get. If you hear one BB guitar solo...you've heard it all! boring!!!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I like players who can hold it in until it's the right moment and then let loose. I really like Paul Gilbert because he can craft a solo that's mind-numbingly complex, doesn't sound like mindless finger flapping, and completely fits the song. It's like J.B. used to say "When I say hit it, HIT IT. When I say quit it, QUIT IT."

Absolutely true. Paul Gilbert is brilliant for that. Simply a brilliant musician. I'd say the same for John Petrucci, in addition to the fact that he's just as good at slower licks as fast ones. The other thing I don't like is when players play faster than they can play cleanly, whether live or in the studio. Mainly Dragonforce, and at times, Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix (even if all of these are also sloppy because of being drunk/stoned/both.

:thu:

• Members

Mr King has a great band, tours relentlessly, and can play whatever he wants and will be playing till the day he dies, a bunch of you younger players will be giving up guitar altogether somewhere along the line anyways. Only a few around here could come close to his playing power and very few of you could work a crowd like he does. Back to the wood shed for 99% of you and I will forget you ever said anything negative about BB King.

• Members

Mr King has a great band, tours relentlessly, and can play whatever he wants and will be playing till the day he dies, a bunch of you younger players will be giving up guitar altogether somewhere along the line anyways. Only a few around here could come close to his playing power and very few of you could work a crowd like he does. Back to the wood shed for 99% of you and I will forget you ever said anything negative about BB King.

I see at least 10 people in the poll results that need to be put in the diaper room :lol:

• Members

I have to confess I was a lot disapointed when I heard him for the first time

I was telling more and more about him and I really thought he was playing a LITTLE bit kicker with A FEW more notes..

In the opposite I enjoyed to listen to .....FREDDY KING ......PREFERABLE!!!

• Members

They'd probably prefer your solution to mine which is put "B.B. King sucks at guitar and is Overrated" T-shirts on them and drop them off on a street corner in Indianola or Fayette Mississippi.
;)

As I said before, Jimi Hendrix is colossally overrated as well. Are you going to do the same for him as well? (the entire population of ignorant 12-year old guitarists might lynch you if you do :p)

:poke:

:lol:

:thu:

• Members

BB King is definitely not the worst guitarist ever. Just go to any Guitar center, and witness hordes of the worst guitarists in the world crowded around a crate or some triple rectifier junk amp. BB will smoke any of those chumps.

Now THAT I agree with!

• Members

Now Hendrix is overrated. The R&B sideman stuff he did before he was THE Jimi Hendrix was a complete career that surpasses what most players can hope for.

That's good, so who isn't overrated? Just because these guys are overexposed, which happens when your work stands up to 4 or 5 decades of listening/examination, doesn't mean they're overrated.

• Members

I believe most of is fame doesn't come from his guitar skills, but from the "King of the blues image" that took him more than 60 years to archive. So no, I don't think he is overrated at all. He's the right person for the spot he's at right now. And he deserves it.

• Members
BB King had a resurgence in popularity in the late 90s when all the kids started to get really fat.it was kind of like "look you can still be a rock star even if you need to sit down in a chair".

QUOTE]

sig'd

• Members

Now Hendrix is overrated. The R&B sideman stuff he did before he was THE Jimi Hendrix was a complete career that surpasses what most players can hope for.

That's good, so who isn't overrated? Just because these guys are overexposed, which happens when your work stands up to 4 or 5 decades of listening/examination, doesn't mean they're overrated.

The number of (albeit misinformed) people that insist that he is 'the best guitarist ever', and worship him as a god is bears testimony to how overrated he is. Simple - This is completely untrue.

Archived