Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Members

Everyone, please, save your energy. If someone walked up to me at a party and threw out "Isn't BB King a terrible guitarist?" as an icebreaker, I would find someone else to talk too, and quick. It's no different than someone looking at a Picasso or a Pollack and all they can come up with is, "well, I could have painted that." The gap in understanding is just too big to bridge in a casual conversation. Respect for BB should be the price of admission for even entering forums like this.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fame doesn't equal quality. The old "what have you done?" argument doesn't hold water.

Skill doesn't equal quality. There are plenty of guitarists who keep me spellbound when I'm in a techcnical frame of mind, but bore me to tears musically.

However, BB seems to be a musician who supports the musical community; that transcends mere chops.

• Moderators

Ooops, I just skimmed - didn't see that someone compared themselves!

It's cool, mang! I reckon anyone can have any opinion of anyone they wish, but the second you throw out the "I'm better then XXX" line, well, in 2007 its pretty easy to put up or shut up, ya know? :cool:

• Moderators

i was hoping for the option:not good or bad,but used by two large sub-groups among guitarists,fat guys who need a chair,and those stuck in pentatonic ruts permanently,as some kind of mystical justification of thier {censored}tyness.

What if you are neither, but are still a fan of the man?

• Members

I think BB King is one of the most over rated guitarist indeed. Sure..you can say that "he says more with one note than you ever will with ten". Really...his guitar playing's so boring to listen to.

Does he has the 'feel' for blues? Yes.

Does he write good blues songs? Yes.

Are there other blues guitarists that are better than him? Yes.

Are there better blues singer than him? Yes.

Is he over rated as a guitar legend? Hell, yeah!

• Members

I know you're trolling, but you have no idea what you're talking about. None.

Here, now go away.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iO33XAM2tg0

I don't care that you think you can play better. I would bet your control of dynamics isn't as good. I would bet your vibrato isn't as smooth and even and I would bet your bends aren't as accurate. I would also bet that most of the world would rather watch him play than you, even if he doesn't go weedly weedly wee with the gain all the way up.

:thu:

Thank you. :wave:

• Members

I've listened to his old stuff. And I really want to be impressed. But I'm not a great guitarist. And me on a sloppy day is still better than what is considered his best.

There's alot of famous folks that might not be all that incredible technicly. But there's still somthing to admire. Edge can't shred, but he's an effects artist, for example. There's a ton of guys who can't shred but write great songs. (Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, etc.) There's a lot of guys who can shred but don't have a ton of commercial success. (Vai, Satch, etc.) There's alot of guys who've defined the direction of the instrument. (Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Chet Atkins, etc.) There are guys who aren't great, but are prolific. (Kief, George Harrison, etc.) Heck, there've even been singer/songwriters who happen to play guitar. (melancamp, elvis, garth, etc.) But BB ain't nothin next to those guys.

In his prime, was BB as good as George Harrison? nope. Chuck Berry? nope. Willie Nelson? nope. And we aren't even talkin about Chet, Vai, Hendrix, etc. He might be a better
singer
, than George, but he ain't better in any other aspect. Same with Chuck. But he's not even as good a singer as Willie. And Willie at 74 is twice the player that BB was at 47.

BB King invented the vibrato technique that we all use. BB king was one of the first blues guitarists to utilize string bending.

He's a little more influential then you think. And when you can play with the TASTE that he plays with, come talk to us. Also, he's apparently quite a good jazz guitarist, he just doesn't pull that stuff out all that often.

• Members

I admit that I don't 'know the blues.' But I have listened to a lot of Buddy Guy, Albert King, T-Bone Walker, Albert Collins, Luther Allison, etc. And for the most part, I get them. At the end of the day, I hear more feeling in Hendrix' Red House than in anything by BB.

I'm not saying I'm a better singer. I'm not saying I'm a better showman. I'm not even saying I'm a nicer guy. I'm just saying that there's a bunch of guys on this forum who are better guitar players than BB. You might even be one of them. We're not greater, just better.

I am not saying that your a bad person or anything like that, but, I think that you are a little misguided and in my opinion, if you don't get BB, you could never be a great guitar player. Same as,if you didn't get Chuck Berry.

Think about it. There are very few guitar players that don't use a Chuck lick form time to time. Or use some of BB's Vibrato. Why do you think that people like U2, and Gary Moore, Eric Clapton etc. have wanted to play with this guy. They want to cop that feel. Anyone that can play 3 notes and be recognize around the world is a great player. And believe me, BB can be recognized by other great players by playing one note. You know it's BB. And that my friend is greater player that you and I will ever be. Trust me,, Copping some of BB's feel and expression on the guitar is partially responsible for making alot of todays great guitar players great.

And we aren't even touching on his phenominal song writing abilities. Check it out. Do some research. You will up your game if you do.

I would like to just stand next to BB and hope just a little bit of that mojo would rub off on me. That's some powerful {censored}. Think about it.:cool:

• Members

When did you start using a bow on your guitar?

that really has {censored} all to do with vibrato im afriad.the point is vibrato usage on the guitar isnt a road that has to run through 1-4-5 pentatonicville like all the old farts like to run their mouths about.you could have listened to only classical violinists you're entire life and have a perfect understanding of the concept.

• Members

BB King had a resurgence in popularity in the late 90s when all the kids started to get really fat.it was kind of like "look you can still be a rock star even if you need to sit down in a chair".

thats probably why we have to look at johnny hiland ads in magazines and {censored} now.i feel uncomfortable when a product's spokespersons car smells like fat guy for sure.

Archived