Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BB can play chords. There is a blues documentary that BB King narrates. I don't remember the name of it but it was on PBS and Houston Stackhouse is in it. But in that documentary BB plays some blues on an old acoustic and actually plays real chords.

BB King's music doesn't need alot of superfluous gnat notes. Live BB King doesn't play chords because he has other people doing that. And when BB solos he plays the right notes. I have never heard BB King play a note that didn't belong.

• Members

The thing is, B.B. doesn't claim to be anything he's not. He has always openly admitted to not being technically proficient on guitar and has always expressed a desire to learn more. In other words, he has something that seems to be in short supply around here -- humility.

Something TS obviously deosn't have. :poke:

He writes catchy licks and great tunes, and I respect him for it. Just like Kurt Cobain. They may not be amazing at guitar, but they are awesome at it and they write great stuff. Let's hear your stuff TS. :p

• Members

I've listened to his old stuff. And I really want to be impressed. But I'm not a great guitarist. And me on a sloppy day is still better than what is considered his best.

There's alot of famous folks that might not be all that incredible technicly. But there's still somthing to admire. Edge can't shred, but he's an effects artist, for example. There's a ton of guys who can't shred but write great songs. (Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, etc.) There's a lot of guys who can shred but don't have a ton of commercial success. (Vai, Satch, etc.) There's alot of guys who've defined the direction of the instrument. (Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Chet Atkins, etc.) There are guys who aren't great, but are prolific. (Kief, George Harrison, etc.) Heck, there've even been singer/songwriters who happen to play guitar. (melancamp, elvis, garth, etc.) But BB ain't nothin next to those guys.

In his prime, was BB as good as George Harrison? nope. Chuck Berry? nope. Willie Nelson? nope. And we aren't even talkin about Chet, Vai, Hendrix, etc. He might be a better
singer
, than George, but he ain't better in any other aspect. Same with Chuck. But he's not even as good a singer as Willie. And Willie at 74 is twice the player that BB was at 47.

Yer stupid!

• Members

I've seen hundereds of guitarists personally and on videos who are way better than BB King. And I 'm talking about awesome tone, technique, feel and emotions.

When BB played with the brilliant Gary Moore in the latter's concert...BB played and sounded like a school kid after Gary Moore unleashed his trademark fiery Blues solo that was filled with so much emotion and feel. Who said that blues has to be played with so few notes all the time? It's fine to start things off with a few notes..but when you start to build it up, you'll need more than those miserable few notes (which are the only notes BB knows how to play even up til today).

BB uses the same licks...over and over again.Yes, OVER and OVER again! That's So damn boring! Why?because some retards here think that by playing the same recycled notes over and over again will warrant respect.

Go on...talk about how great his tone is (which sounded so utterly dull to me by the way) or you can say that he can talk with one note more than you can with a hundred. It doesnt matter. BB King is a very boring, over rated guitarist who does not deserve to mentioned as a guitar legend.

He's a good song writer and cool blues singer, I'll give him that. Just dont say the same about his mediocre guitar playing.

• Members

blah blah blab stunningblabe

neither could kurt

is neil young a technical wizzard?

jimmy page slobs around the fretboard

bb king plays the same licks over and over

they're all guitar legends.

nothing about being a legend requires you to play better than anyone else

there are no rules to follow or tests required to become a guitar legend.

stunningly silly boob

P.S. who the {censored} is gary more? ask around... no one knows... but they know BB... he wins the "guitar hero" contest every time. deal with it.

:wave: :poke:

I've seen hundereds of guitarists personally and on videos who are way better than BB King. And I 'm talking about awesome tone, technique, feel and emotions.

When BB played with the brilliant Gary Moore in the latter's concert...BB played and sounded like a school kid after Gary Moore unleashed his trademark fiery Blues solo that was filled with so much emotion and feel. Who said that blues has to be played with so few notes all the time? It's fine to start things off with a few notes..but when you start to build it up, you'll need more than those miserable few notes (which are the only notes BB knows how to play even up til today).

BB uses the same licks...over and over again.Yes, OVER and OVER again! That's So damn boring! Why?because some retards here think that by playing the same recycled notes over and over again will warrant respect.

Go on...talk about how great his tone is (which sounded so utterly dull to me by the way) or you can say that he can talk with one note more than you can with a hundred. It doesnt matter. BB King is a very boring, over rated guitarist who does not deserve to mentioned as a guitar legend.

He's a good song writer and cool blues singer, I'll give him that. Just dont say the same about his mediocre guitar playing.

• Members

neither could kurt

stunningly silly boob

P.S. who the {censored} is gary more? ask around... no one knows... but they know BB... he wins the "guitar hero" contest every time. deal with it.

:wave:
:poke:

blah blah blah robopimp!

"nothing about being a legend requires you to play better than anyone else"

then you better stick the guitar up your smelly ass.

• Members

neither could kurt

stunningly silly boob

For crissakes someone write down this date. I am in full agreement with RoboPimp (faints and dies) :freak:

:lol:

P.S. I know who Gary Moore is :):wave:

• Members

You sir - are a moron.

Or woman. I can never tell what sex I am talking to on this forum with everyone with their sexual identity crisis and what not. :confused:

P.S. Your profile states that you are "5 star Hotel Showtime Singer". Why doesn't it even mention that you're a guitarist? :rolleyes:

Does "5 Star" mean you sing better than lets say someone playing a 4 Star hotel? :lol:

• Members

+1 :thu:

• Members

So public perception is always correct and relevent? So does that mean JFK was as good a president as FDR?

• Members

Here's the thing - if you've failed to recognise BB King's legend, you've failed at music.

Here's the thing - if you think that everyone in this thread has been exposed to enough BB King to label him a legend, you're wrong. Most people think he's a legend because they've been told he is. Anyone who's heard Buddy Guy, Albert King, Albet Collins, etc, should KNOW that they're better guitarists.:wave:

Archived