Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watch this starting at 2:15

This thread is sooo trolling.

You should listen to BB's guitar solo from 4:05 - 4:55 on that video. If that was anyone else playing, you'd be talking about how bad it sucked. And comparing BB King to Ringo Star kinda underscores my point, don't you think?

• Members

That's my whole point! Guys like SRV, Clapton, and Moore all have to play DOWN to the level of BB King. No one should ever have to play down to the level of a 'great'.

That is just asinine. Some guitarists are just more technically proficient than others but aren't nearly a good as guitarist as them. Malmsteem shreds no doubt, but he has never written anything nearly as good on the guitar as George Harrison.

If Yngwie played some early Beatles stuff he would be playing down a level from his normal garbage, but he would still be playing music by a superior guitarist. Being a musician is more than being technically proficient, it requires the ability to craft a song or sound portraying emotion or a theme.

When I hear Petrucci or Vai I hear someone turning on a machine and allowing it to shred up and down the fretboard. But when I hear BB King or George Harrison or even Jack White, I hear a person pouring his heart and soul through an instrument. You cannot teach that.

EDIT: And yeah this thread has gone on way too long. It will all come back to the song versus technical argument. But all I while say is that I have seen many unbelievable guitarists teaching guitar at guitar stores while watching lesser skilled musicians with a better ear and passion for a tune making amazing music that has enhanced my life.

• Members
That's my whole point! Guys like SRV, Clapton, and Moore all have to play DOWN to the level of BB King. No one should ever have to play down to the level of a 'great'.

+1 They just need to play like themselves whether or not its w/ more flash or whatever, as long as they're serving the song. I hate watching concerts where players like Clapton do this (and I do like Clapton)- it's embarrasing really. Let the other players rise to the occasion...

• Members

You should listen to BB's guitar solo from 4:05 - 4:55 on that video. If that was anyone else playing, you'd be talking about how bad it sucked.

HOLY {censored}. That solo is awesome. What the {censored} you {censored}ing HACK. Shut the {censored} up. That's it, you are on my block list. First time I've used it.

• Members

That is just asinine. Some guitarists are just more technically proficient than others but aren't nearly a good as guitarist as them. Malmsteem shreds no doubt, but he has never written anything nearly as good on the guitar as George Harrison.

But BB isn't as good (technically) as Harrison, much less YM.

Look, I understand that while YM might be a 10 technically, he's only a 2 as a writer/composer/arranger. And though Harrison might only be a 5 technically, he get's a 10 for being so prolific. I get that different things make different people great. But it is possible to compare apples to apples. Want to say that BB is a great blues guitarist? SRV, Albert King, and Buddy Guy are all better. Want to talk about how he can say alot with just a few notes? Give me Gilmoure any day. There's just no area in which BB is a 10 as a GUITAR PLAYER. As a singer, frontman, or writer? Sure, but not as a guitarist.

• Members

I haven't read all the pages in this thread and I probably never will. There may be exceptions to the rule but by and far I think what makes the great ones (like BB and others) "great" is their absolute humility, their willingness to say "if you think I'm good, listen to ______ he or she is incredible"

BB would probably agree with many of you as far as being "overrated"

I have had the privilege of seeing him perform live 4 times in my life. I had the HONOR of getting to meet him after a show once. He saw that my very pregnant wife and I were standing outside with a ton of people hoping to see him after his show one night in downtown Seattle. He invited my wife and I to his dressing room. After he scolded me for making a pregnant woman wait out in the cold (with a grin on his face) he offered us food and drink. He practically ordered my wife to fill a plate of food, sit down and eat with him! He posed for pictures, rubbed my wifes belly, and talked about life and kids. He thanked US for shelling out so much $$$ for tickets and apologized about the cost of admission. I told him that I had discovered him and his music and many of the other greats after hearing my hero SRV go on about him and the other Kings, he thanked me again and told me how much he missed Stevie and that he thought SRV was one of the greatest guitar players to ever walk the earth. As we parted he shook my hand and gave my wife a hug and a kiss.

There's my thoughts on the subject.

• Members

I didn't read the whole topic, so if I missed something, oh well.

I'd just like to point out that the blues has NEVER been about being technically proficient. It's about putting your whole soul into your playing. I'd like to see anyone in this thread do as much with a minor pentatonic as many great blues players have.

I honestly can say that I've never heard as much feeling put into something like technical death metal or shred as I have with blues. A good blues player will say more in a few slow notes than a shredder can say with 5000.

• Members

..I have had the privilege of seeing him perform live 4 times in my life. I had the HONOR of getting to meet him after a show once. He saw that my very pregnant wife and I were standing outside with a ton of people hoping to see him after his show one night in downtown Seattle. He invited my wife and I to his dressing room. After he scolded me for making a pregnant woman wait out in the cold (with a grin on his face) he offered us food and drink. He practically ordered my wife to fill a plate of food, sit down and eat with him! He posed for pictures, rubbed my wifes belly, and talked about life and kids. He thanked US for shelling out so much $$$ for tickets and apologized about the cost of admission. I told him that I had discovered him and his music and many of the other greats after hearing my hero SRV go on about him and the other Kings, he thanked me again and told me how much he missed Stevie and that he thought SRV was one of the greatest guitar players to ever walk the earth. As we parted he shook my hand and gave my wife a hug and a kiss.

There's my thoughts on the subject.

And after all that personal attention to you & your wife from him you still run a thread knocking his playing skills. Un{censored}ingbelieveable. :freak:

• Members

Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix are much more overrated than BB King, it seems to me. What's wrong with his playing? He has great tone and great technique. True, he may not sound as good as he once did, but he is getting old and all...

• Members

Am I the only one who resents the success of someone who's obviously not as good as me?

this is funny coming from someone who nobody ever heard of or anybody even gives a {censored} about talk and rail about a man whether you like him or respect his ability is a legend ,continues to gig at his age , has his own signature Gibson guitar , has played with the some of best Guitarists in history has influenced just everybody,

ever hear of the BB Box , its very popular in blues.

I do like Albert King then I like Freddie King then BB in that order , But BB is a legend as well.

• Members

You just dont get it. Thats it. You can play your entire life and you will NEVER have half the success that BB has had. So at the end of the day, what does it matter if you can play "better". Cause that is clearly YOUR opinion alone. If it was the world's opinion that you were better, you would be famous allready. I really dont understand how you sitting at home posting on an online forum, could think you are better than BB King. Seriously!!! Are you joking? I want to hear you post a clip of "the thrill is gone". You have to sing, and play lead guitar parts. If you need a backing track to help you out, you can download one all over the internet. (BTW -how many people have sat down and put the hard work to creating a backing track for your songs cause they are that much of a fan?).

I cannot even understand how self centered you must be to think that you are better than a living legend! HA!

dk

• Members

+1 They just need to play like themselves whether or not its w/ more flash or whatever, as long as they're serving the song. I hate watching concerts where players like Clapton do this (and I do like Clapton)- it's embarrasing really. Let the other players rise to the occasion...

I don't see anything embarrassing about it. When you play in an ensemble, you play things that compliment what the other musicians are doing. I think Gary can play the blues fine when he slows down and thinks about it but he has a tendency to switch to automatic pilot and play out of context sometimes. He's a great guitarist and because I do admire him, I hated to see him stomp all over Albert King like he did. In the video, Albert said something like "Well, I thought I knew what I was gonna play but he started playing so fast and loud that I forgot." Gary was so busy doing his own thing that he forgot about being hospitable to the man that he was supposedly honoring. To me, that was disgraceful and embarrassing.

• Members

If done badly, yes.

Yeah, I like players who can hold it in until it's the right moment and then let loose. I really like Paul Gilbert because he can craft a solo that's mind-numbingly complex, doesn't sound like mindless finger flapping, and completely fits the song. It's like J.B. used to say "When I say hit it, HIT IT. When I say quit it, QUIT IT."

• Members
I don't see anything embarrassing about it. When you play in an ensemble, you play things that compliment what the other musicians are doing. I think Gary can play the blues fine when he slows down and thinks about it but he has a tendency to switch to automatic pilot and play out of context sometimes. He's a great guitarist and because I do admire him, I hated to see him stomp all over Albert King like he did. In the video, Albert said something like "Well, I thought I knew what I was gonna play but he started playing so fast and loud that I forgot." Gary was so busy doing his own thing that he forgot about being hospitable to the man that he was supposedly honoring. To me, that was disgraceful and embarrassing.

As I stated, as long as that kind of playing is serving the song- sometimes you have to pull back the reigns in order to serve the song, but not at the expense of abandoning HOW you play :idea: When you're stepping on other people's toes, agreed it's not cool...

Archived