Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Members

Here's the thing - if you think that everyone in this thread has been exposed to enough BB King to label him a legend, you're wrong. Most people think he's a legend because they've been told he is. Anyone who's heard Buddy Guy, Albert King, Albet Collins, etc, should KNOW that they're better guitarists.
:wave:

Yeah, but ask Buddy Guy, Albert King, Albert Collins, etc. about BB King. What do you think their response would be?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do respect your right to your opinion. But based on your choice for thread topic, you are stating right from jump street that BB King is the "Worst" guitar player ever or the "Most overrated" player. So to think that your choice of words was going to inspire an "Honest, Nonemotional discourse on BB King's proficiency, now and in the past, with a guitar." is probably a stretch . Don't you think.

You're right. I should have titled it 'Am I the only one who thinks that BB King is ...' etc.

• Members

Buddy Guy, Albert King, Albert Collins, BB King.

Who do you think is the best guitarist in that list?

There is no "best". No one plays like Buddy. No one plays like Albert King. No one plays like the master of the telecaster, Albert Collins. And yes, no one plays like BB King.

They are all kings in my opinion.

I've learned from all four of them. Buddy's frenetic time warping phrasing and crazy bending. Albert King's beautiful perfectly intonated minor third bends. Albert Collins stinging, funky attack. BB Kings beautiful, stately, vocal phrasing and vibrato.

All kings.

• Members

Dude, you're still missing the whole point with those players when you keep going back to the "best." They aren't shredders going for a high score. They would all acknowledge the greatness of BB King. BB King is in his fricking 80's and still touring, selling out huge venues. He's been doing it nonstop 200+ shows a year for a LONG time. He has been a legend since he was Riley "Beale Street Blues Boy" King and he has been maintaining it for decade after decade after decade. Just stop and think how ignorant you sound.

Think you'll still be touring at 80? Think anyone will care what you're playing? But, you're a better player than him now, so why don't we know who you are? Cause better doesn't mean anything in music. It's about feel, soul and connecting with listeners. Communicating what can't be communicated.

• Members

wow, that was stunning

stunningly simplistic...

go back to your hut and sweep the dirt

then you can have the "I suck worse that BB and I gotta sweep the dirt floor of my hut blues"

blah blah blah robopimp!

"nothing about being a legend requires you to play better than anyone else"

then you better stick the guitar up your smelly ass.

• Members

There is no "best". No one plays like Buddy. No one plays like Albert King. No one plays like the master of the telecaster, Albert Collins. And yes, no one plays like BB King.

They are all kings in my opinion.

I've learned from all four of them. Buddy's frenetic time warping phrasing and crazy bending. Albert King's beautiful perfectly intonated minor third bends. Albert Collins stinging, funky attack. BB Kings beautiful, stately, vocal phrasing and vibrato.

All kings.

What Kitty said, mind you...He is not very attractive and he is over weight!

BUDDY RICH'D!?

8]

• Members

Am I the only one who resents the success of someone who's obviously not as good as me?

This is the statement that starts this flame fest.

There's a lot of resentment, anger in this thread under the guise of passioned discussion. You guys really get off on this.

Have the great guitarists mentioned in the last 7 pages made their mark on you with resentment and anger?

A little reflection can go along way - step back and check your motives.

This Louis Armstrong quote sums it up for me:

• Members

This is the statement that starts this flame fest.

There's a lot of resentment, anger in this thread under the guise of passioned discussion. You guys really get off on this.

Have the great guitarists mentioned in the last 7 pages made their mark on you with resentment and anger?

A little reflection can go along way - step back and check your motives.

This Louis Armstrong quote sums it up for me:

• Members

Buddy Rich is a great drummer who has mojo, soul, AND mad skilz.

Watch this starting at 2:15 YouTube Link

I'd rather listen to Ringo Starr. His backwards fills are more innovative and less pretentious.

To me, virtuoso players are just masturbating. I consider Thurston Moore to be one of my favorite guitar players, esp. Sonic Youth's first couple of albums. The World Looks Red...perfect song...perfect guitar playing.

Look. Lou Reed has the vocal range of a blow-dryer, but his voice is pure rock and roll.

Eric Johnson is technically the best guitar player I've ever seen (and I've seen him live 3 times), but his music will never last.

The Thrill is Gone, reaches in your gut. The guitar solo is perfect for the song.

This thread is sooo trolling.

• Members

Secondly, I am hoping to get some recording gear for Christmas. If at some point I get the ability to share clips with you, rest assured I will do so. But the point is not a comparison of mine and BB's chops. I've already stated that I'm not a great guitar player. In fact, BB could be twice as good as me and still fall far short of being a 'great' guitarist.

I'd love to hear some of your clips. I'd bet my house though, that they wouldn't come within a mile of anything BB has done.

• Members
Watch this starting at 2:15

I'd rather listen to Ringo Starr. His backwards fills are more innovative and less pretentious.

To me, virtuoso players are just masturbating. I consider Thurston Moore to be one of my favorite guitar players, esp. Sonic Youth's first couple of albums. The World Looks Red...perfect song...perfect guitar playing.

Look. Lou Reed has the vocal range of a blow-dryer, but his voice is pure rock and roll.

Eric Johnson is technically the best guitar player I've ever seen (and I've seen him live 3 times), but
his music will never last

The Thrill is Gone, reaches in your gut. The guitar solo is perfect for the song.

This thread is sooo trolling.

what the hell? cliffs of dover is in my mind a perfect song and one that anyone can appreciate, guitarist or no.

• Members

Didn't read the previous pages, but BB's playing has really never done it for me. I'll take the other Kings (Albert and Freddie) anyday over BB, especially Albert. BB's playing is almost a little too "happy" sounding for me, the "BB box" (major pent.) gets old quick IMO. Very distinct vibrato/voice- I'll give him that. Albert still kills him though...

• Members

what the hell? cliffs of dover is in my mind a perfect song and one that anyone can appreciate, guitarist or no.

It's just bubble gum...but very very tasty bubble gum for suburban America. Desert Rose has more humanity in it, and the solo is better. As a whole, Eric needs to move out of his happy place to make lasting music. I saw his ACL stuff when it first came out. But he's no Joy Division. No Lennon. No Patty Smith. He's just a 50 year old kid that has skills. He never allowed himself to mature.

• Members

When BB played with the brilliant Gary Moore in the latter's concert...BB played and sounded like a school kid after Gary Moore unleashed his trademark fiery Blues solo that was filled with so much emotion and feel.

I love Gary Moore but lost some respect for him when he started doing all the blues records and videos. He doesn't seem to understand that when you're paying tribute to your heroes, you don't cut their heads. Gary's an amazing player but could take some lessons from Clapton and SRV when it comes to showing respect.

Archived