Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Moderators

STFU

when a guitarists uses vibrato he is not automatically borrowing from {censored}ing bb kings fat {censored}ing ass.vibrato is hundreds of years old and would only become more and more obvious

I don't think I've ever seen someone so angry about BB King before... :lol:

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if you don't get BB, you could never be a great guitar player.

I sort of stopped reading after that! Completely disagree.

Surely we have to leave room for subjectivity somewhere?

There's a lot of jazz I don't get. Some of those musicians are heralded as genii. Does that mean that I can't achieve greatness?

I'm all about respecting people like BB, but let's try to avoid deifying... Else we're talking religion, and that's a losing debate for all parties involved.

• Members

I won't say he was one of my early influences, but I do recall one day while I was skipping school and smoking herb over at a friend's house, we were watching "Sanford & Son" and he was a on the show. After watching him play, I got really stoked about the idea of being a guitar player, and of course the rest is history.

• Members

Am I the only one who resents the success of someone who's obviously not as good as me?

OT, i know . . .

. . . but i prefer R.L. Burnside wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more !

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-8513875-3235300?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rl+burnside

Look into, "A Ass Pocket Of Whiskey" & "Mr. Wizard" :evil::evil::evil: - my fav black blues player :thu:

My 2cents

;)

• Members

I admit that I don't 'know the blues.' But I have listened to a lot of Buddy Guy, Albert King, T-Bone Walker, Albert Collins, Luther Allison, etc. And for the most part, I get them. At the end of the day, I hear more feeling in Hendrix' Red House than in anything by BB.

I'm not saying I'm a better singer. I'm not saying I'm a better showman. I'm not even saying I'm a nicer guy. I'm just saying that there's a bunch of guys on this forum who are better guitar players than BB. You might even be one of them. We're not greater, just better.

That's great, you've just made a profound discovery; good / great guitarists are a dime a dozen.

Great (all be it subjective) and influential artists are a much smaller group.

With all due respect it's difficult to access what exactly you mean by "better" without context. Better phrasing, better groove, more imaginative, more technical, more original.... If you provide some clips of you playing, the blues would be a good format seeing as you've suggested that you're "better" than BB King, it would go a long way to helping us HEAR where you're coming form. It takes balls to be a top perfoming artist. If you can't step up and put it out there then not only are you not better but you're a non entity. That's one reason I'm not about to suggest that I'm a better guitarist than BB King led alone on an internet forum. Post your clips, I mean for god's sake, if you can bring more than BB then I know I'll dig it and more clearly know where you're coming from. Regardless of what I think of your playing I'm not going to rip you. I will however have much more respect than I could possibly have for your internet assertions.

• Members
I sort of stopped reading after that! Completely disagree.

Surely we have to leave room for subjectivity somewhere?

There's a lot of jazz I don't get. Some of those musicians are heralded as genii. Does that mean that I can't achieve greatness?

I'm all about respecting people like BB, but let's try to avoid deifying... Else we're talking religion, and that's a losing debate for all parties involved.

Ok,, point taken. Maybe I was becoming a bit genre biased. But lets face it, most if not all contemporary music in this country today is derived and steeped heavily in the blues, and BB is a huge contributer to american blues. But your right, I am sure there are some great flamenco guitarist and probably some great fusion guitarists that were or are not influenced greatly by american blues. "Satch Boogie" would not have been written by Joe with out blues influence. In fact alot of what Joe does is heavily blues influenced. I don't mean to paint with such a broad brush its just that to not think that BB's influence on todays music and guitar styles has not been significant is just a bit confusing. I am sure that you understand.

• Members
BB King had a resurgence in popularity in the late 90s when all the kids started to get really fat.it was kind of like "look you can still be a rock star even if you need to sit down in a chair".

thats probably why we have to look at johnny hiland ads in magazines and {censored} now.i feel uncomfortable when a product's spokespersons car smells like fat guy for sure.

wow, this might qualify as some of the most ignorant dumb ass statements I have ever heard on this site. Johnny Hiland is a freakin guitar monster. I am sure he has more ability than 95 percent of all the folks on this board. I have met Johnny a couple of times and despite the fact that he is legally blind, he is a great player. Maybe you are the picture of fitness. But where Johnny might be physically handicapped, it is nowhere near as severe as the mental handicap that you are obviously have to deal with. How would you know what his car smelled like? Were you assigned to clean it at your car wash job?

• Members

First of all, I am NOT trolling. I've been an active forumite for some time, and I have NEVER trolled. Feel free to look back at my past posts to verify this. Just because I have an unpopular view point doesn't mean that I'm trying to be disruptive or subversive. You may not agree with my views, but that doesn't make them invalid.

Secondly, I am hoping to get some recording gear for Christmas. If at some point I get the ability to share clips with you, rest assured I will do so. But the point is not a comparison of mine and BB's chops. I've already stated that I'm not a great guitar player. In fact, BB could be twice as good as me and still fall far short of being a 'great' guitarist.

Thirdly, anyone (Rocket Roll) who uses the race card about something as innocuous as a thread on Harmony Central is an ignorant moron who obviously has no respect for real greatness like that of Martin Luther King and his compatriots. If you want to cry racism, find a more legitamate reason than the stereotyping of a blues progresion. Additionally, the blues is not an exclusive possession of African-Americans, anymore than rock belongs to caucasians.

Finaly, anyone who cares to read my comments in this thread should see that I have an abundance of respect for BB King. I believe that his influence on mainstream music is unparralleled by any other primarily blues musician. He, along with contemporaries like Little Richard, Ray Charles, and Chuck Berry, spearheaded the emergence of minorities as mainstream entertainment icons.

This thread was only meant to create an honest, nonemotional discourse on BB King's proficiency, now and in the past, with a guitar.

• Members
This thread was only meant to create an honest, nonemotional discourse on BB King's proficiency, now and in the past, with a guitar.

I do respect your right to your opinion. But based on your choice for thread topic, you are stating right from jump street that BB King is the "Worst" guitar player ever or the "Most overrated" player. So to think that your choice of words was going to inspire an "Honest, Nonemotional discourse on BB King's proficiency, now and in the past, with a guitar." is probably a stretch . Don't you think.

• Members
Am I the only one who
resents
the success of someone who's obviously not as good as me?

A true musician trancends resentment. I am not making a value judgement. My point of reference is based on the book by Philip Sudo called "Zen Guitar". It's for shredders as well as those "'technicly' challenged". Check it out.

• Members

Secondly, I am hoping to get some recording gear for Christmas. If at some point I get the ability to share clips with you, rest assured I will do so. But the point is not a comparison of mine and BB's chops. I've already stated that I'm not a great guitar player. In fact, BB could be twice as good as me and still fall far short of being a 'great' guitarist.

I could have sworn your first post said he "obviously wasn't as good as you".

Somebody else hit the nail on the head. Good guitarists are a dime a dozen. Look at how many people are technically proficient enough to copy David Gilmour. But to be able to create the stuff that Gilmour did at the time he did is what makes him great.

• Members

Finaly, anyone who cares to read my comments in this thread should see that I have an abundance of respect for BB King. I believe that his influence on mainstream music is unparralleled by any other primarily blues musician. He, along with contemporaries like Little Richard, Ray Charles, and Chuck Berry, spearheaded the emergence of minorities as mainstream entertainment icons.

Starting the thread saying you're better than BB King does not show ANY respect for a man that is one of the last living connections to the earliest developments of electric guitar playing. Arguing about BB King's significance to guitar playing is just ridiculous. You may not like him, but you're just showing your ignorance and lack of historical knowledge with most of your comments.

• Members

I can't vote :(

There is much more to B.B. Kings than simply the notes he plays. What he emotes and represents as a blues guitar player is a lesson for everyone.

IMO, technicality should not be given too much wieght when judging a guitar player...after all, he is B.B. King for a reason.

If you can't figure that out then..........

• Members

I saw BB play the Keystone, Berkeley, in about 1983. I remember he got all huffy on some guy in the audience for taking a photograph. I'm glad I saw him live in a small venue once, but once was enough.

I agree that he's not a great technical player AT ALL. But he does sing and play with a lot of feeling. Some people would say that guy's got a ton of soul.

He's a famous cat, but speaking only for myself I don't think he had anything on ol' Howlin' Wolf. Now there was a cat with capital S Soul.

Rock on,

Archived