Is BB King the worst guitarist ever, or just the most overrated?

HMKRich

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BB King is all about the Blues, not just playing the guitar. He just plays in the basic BB King blues boxes. But its the mojo, the voice and the guitar that all combines to make him special. That voice can cut paper. Plus, he really popularized the blues beyond the basic blues audiences. The Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar concert from Chicago this summmer was on PBS in LA tonight. Backed by no less than three Strats (Jimmy Vaughn and Robert Cray included), his Gibson still cut through the mix.

• Members

BB King is all about the Blues, not just playing the guitar. He just plays in the basic BB King blues boxes. But its the mojo, the voice and the guitar that all combines to make him special. That voice can cut paper. Plus, he really popularized the blues beyond the basic blues audiences. The Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar concert from Chicago this summmer was on PBS in LA tonight. Backed by no less than three Strats (Jimmy Vaughn and Robert Cray included), his Gibson still cut through the mix.

What time? I keep missing this!

BBK is a living legend.

Cliche, but oh, so true.

• Members
, then come in here and tell everyone you're a better guitar player than a living legend.

I'm not saying I'm a better singer. I'm not saying I'm a better showman. I'm not even saying I'm a nicer guy. I'm just saying that there's a bunch of guys on this forum who are better guitar players than BB. You might even be one of them. We're not greater, just better.

• Members

BB King is all about the Blues, not just playing the guitar. He just plays in the basic BB King blues boxes. But its the mojo, the voice and the guitar that all combines to make him special. That voice can cut paper. Plus, he really popularized the blues beyond the basic blues audiences.

This is the most rational thing in this thread.

• Members

The thing is, B.B. doesn't claim to be anything he's not. He has always openly admitted to not being technically proficient on guitar and has always expressed a desire to learn more. In other words, he has something that seems to be in short supply around here -- humility.

qft

• Members

Years from now, no one on any public forum will put up a poll about how you played guitar, how you sang or how you've impacted the music community in any way, shape or form. The fact that you can walk into virtually any partially developed country, mention the guy's name and illicit some kind of response speaks volumes -- not because he's the most popular blues guy, not because of "The Thrill is Gone," but because he's what the term 'legend' means. I'm sure there are music theorists and showmen all over this board who could 'outplay' BB, sure. But respect is due. The sign of a good musician is when that person acknowledges and respects what each type of music has to offer; from the slower and simpler Kings to the stupidly fast Vais.

Please return with your opinion after living a life like BB did. If you don't die, maybe you'll stumble across some humility and respect somewhere along the way. :thu:

• Members

Well, there are three videos in which B.B. teaches guitar - they're called "B.B. King - Blues Master". Not a very original name, but at least one has the chance to see for oneself that B.B. does indeed know more than he shows on the stage. Though he works hard to "sell the image" of an "unejumacated" blues player... He actually reads notes, loves to play bebop...

Makes one wonder, doesn't it? There they are - Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Portnoy - spilling out every lick they've learned and then some, and then there's B.B. and he only plays what needs to be played.

During the video(s), he says something along the lines of "Playing is conversating, and you're to be polite, interesting and meaningful in a conversation."

BB-bluesmaster.jpg

• Members

its just depressing having experienced his old shows that were great beyond description _then now being charged $100.00 a pop to hear him talk about the differences between supper and dinner while the drummer slowly pumps his hi hat and BB talks. then to top it off some we get to hear some crumb snatcher sing the thrill is gone, even the two old black guys setting next to us were saying WTF is this. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip offffffffffffffffffffff cha ching for BB

• Members

Years from now, no one on any public forum will put up a poll about how you played guitar, how you sang or how you've impacted the music community in any way, shape or form. The fact that you can walk into virtually any partially developed country, mention the guy's name and illicit some kind of response speaks volumes -- not because he's the most popular blues guy, not because of "The Thrill is Gone," but because he's what the term 'legend' means. I'm sure there are music theorists and showmen all over this board who could 'outplay' BB, sure. But respect
is
due. The sign of a good musician is when that person acknowledges and respects what each type of music has to offer; from the slower and simpler Kings to the stupidly fast Vais.

I agree with everything you said!:wave:

I'm not trying to say BB is a piece of crap. I definately agree that he's had a huge impact on the musical culture of America, and I think that his impact is even more pronounced today than when he was in his musical prime. I have no problem putting his name up there with Elvis, Willie Nelson, David Bowie, Garth Brooks, or any of the other great showmen. I'd even say he's as 'great' as Hendrix, Paige, May, EVH, or Vai. I don't question his greatness, importance, or legacy. I just don't think his guitar playing is the basis of his greatness.

• Members

Sorry, but I gotta call BS. The dudes 82 and still hasn't learned how to play a chord.

I know you're trolling, but you have no idea what you're talking about. None.

Here, now go away.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iO33XAM2tg0

I don't care that you think you can play better. I would bet your control of dynamics isn't as good. I would bet your vibrato isn't as smooth and even and I would bet your bends aren't as accurate. I would also bet that most of the world would rather watch him play than you, even if he doesn't go weedly weedly wee with the gain all the way up.

• Members

There is no one else on this planet that can say so much with one note. Ask any other blues guitar player. Almost all of them will say they wish they could cop BB's vibrato. BB is also Robben Ford's idol, but maybe you think he can't play much either, I don't know.

BB can hit one note with vibrato and you instantly know who it is, if you know your history. Can you do that? How many guitar players CAN do that?

Thanks for you opinion, glad its your own.

• Moderators

I've listened to his old stuff. And I really want to be impressed. But I'm not a great guitarist. And me on a sloppy day is still better than what is considered his best.

There's alot of famous folks that might not be all that incredible technicly. But there's still somthing to admire. Edge can't shred, but he's an effects artist, for example. There's a ton of guys who can't shred but write great songs. (Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, etc.) There's a lot of guys who can shred but don't have a ton of commercial success. (Vai, Satch, etc.) There's alot of guys who've defined the direction of the instrument. (Chuck Berry, Hendrix, Chet Atkins, etc.) There are guys who aren't great, but are prolific. (Kief, George Harrison, etc.) Heck, there've even been singer/songwriters who happen to play guitar. (melancamp, elvis, garth, etc.) But BB ain't nothin next to those guys.

In his prime, was BB as good as George Harrison? nope. Chuck Berry? nope. Willie Nelson? nope. And we aren't even talkin about Chet, Vai, Hendrix, etc. He might be a better
singer
, than George, but he ain't better in any other aspect. Same with Chuck. But he's not even as good a singer as Willie. And Willie at 74 is twice the player that BB was at 47.

Obviously you're trolling and I really shouldn't even respond, but in case it hasn't been said already, put up some clips of you playing better than BB. :wave:

Archived