The use of Equipment, putting the BS myths to rest

Zachman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is IMO, a PERFECT example of the candidate board that could be racked, or at least partially. the amount of space that it takes up seems
:freak:
to me

frusciantes%20pedal_board_002.jpg

Yeah that's crazy. Maybe the player tweaks knobs while playing though? Unless I'm mistaken the rack system would just be used to switch them on or off. With things like analog delay or ring modulators having the knobs at your fingertips can be very musical.

• Members

Yeah that's crazy. Maybe the player tweaks knobs while playing though? Unless I'm mistaken the rack system would just be used to switch them on or off. With things like analog delay or ring modulators having the knobs at your fingertips can be very musical.

Agreed... It sort of deals with the guys who argue that they would rather concentrate on playing than messing with the rack processors scenario in reverse doesn't it, as well as the issue of dealing with rack being expensive by contrast....

In reality a rack is just an enclosure for gear. The gear that someone chooses to put in it, and/or leave out of it can span a HUGE variety.

A Lot of rack gear does have the ability to control internal parameters, in real time via CC messages, and store MIDI presets which can have you controlling different parameters depending on the selected stored preset too, all around more versatile...

• Members

That one with the Moogs is Frusciante's.

and oK, I agree that that could be racked - space isn't an issue, someone to set it up isn't either and twiddling might be involved but when you can have two MURFs with different settings (and probably other multiple pedals too) then you could rack and have an easier job.

Good ears can tell if one knob is out though.

• Members

That one with the Moogs is Frusciante's.

and oK, I agree that that could be racked - space isn't an issue, someone to set it up isn't either and twiddling might be involved but when you can have two MURFs with different settings (and probably other multiple pedals too) then you could rack and have an easier job.

Good ears can tell if one knob is out though.

Yup, there isn't a right or wrong about it, but the guys who are apparently totally opposed to rack stuff, rack mounting stuff, switching systems (even if they're on the floor), using a combination of pedals and rack mounted processors, etc... and display a pedals or death mentality, do seem silly.

IF they did in fact, advocate using whatever works, it seems odd that they'd be so against the idea of even discussing methods of using equipment that is different than anything traditional. :freak: I suspect they just enjoy sport trolling.

• Members

Well, all I can say is that many times when you're looking for a particular sound, that sound is to be found in a package that's 19" wide and MIDI controlled. I'm cool with that and I also like pedals. Whatever gives me the sound I'm hearing in my head is a good thing. I've been thinking about rack-mounting my pedals for a couple years now and intend to finally do it in 2008, though the number of pedals is probably going to decline dramatically once I get my Axe-Fx. :)

• Members

Well, all I can say is that many times when you're looking for a particular sound, that sound is to be found in a package that's 19" wide and MIDI controlled. I'm cool with that and I also like pedals. Whatever gives me the sound I'm hearing in my head is a good thing. I've been thinking about rack-mounting my pedals for a couple years now and intend to finally do it in 2008, though the number of pedals is probably going to decline dramatically once I get my Axe-Fx.
:)

AMEN... :thu:

The Axe-FX WILL be VERY Cool. Congrat!!! :thu:

• Members

Pedals can do more than enough for 99 percent of the guitar players.

Why look for something else?

People are used to pedals.

Rack gear has been around for over 20 years, and the fact that more guy use some rack gear then I think this argument takes account for not withstanding, I am used to pedals too, as MIDI stuff didn't exist when I started playing, BUT... I am used to rack stuff now too.

Why look for something else? Because without growth there can be stagnation. Life is growth, growth is change, and change is inevitable.

As people grow often their preferences, requirements and creativity can outgrow the limitations that running the systems that they started with provides and then they often become a hindrance.

Hope that helps

Not to say that an all pedal setup is not fine, so please don't misunderstand. I use an all pedal system sometimes. FACT: There are just things that an all pedal setup can't do. Not that those things are required, but if they are then the player that discovers those things that his pedals can't do are desired, then... Time for a change.

• Members

Zach...

I decided that I'm going to run a Boss DD-3 in the loop of the Mesa and call it good rather than going with a G-Major or somesuch. I'm still going to use the Voodoo GCX so I can take things in and out of the signal chain completely though. Here's the updated drawing of my proposed rig...

RigDiagramRev3.jpg

If I need more loops I can use another GCX or the Axess version that's a bit cheaper/smaller correct?

• Members

isn't it... troll spouts off, and disappears. Not unexpected though.

Wait, I'm drunk; are you calling me a troll..... :confused: .... :mad: ..... :freak: , but yeah that's what they do. Hope you had a good new years; I just spent the night partying with uppitty yuppies in a posh lil Mc. Mansion. PATRON FTW!!!1r

• Members

onlinepic3wv6.jpg

onlinepic2le5.jpg

that's my board! lol

just found this thread this morning and it's already at 25+ pages!!!

i was going to post my personal experience on this matter and then follow up with a question to you, zach.

i've been playing for 20+ years now, 19 of those using pedals exclusively. only recently i decided to "dive" into the rack world and my only regret is i wish i would have done it sooner!

was it expensive? a little, but the cost of ALL my pedals (current and what i owned throughout the years) probably has cost more than my current setup. i started out with axess amp switcher (CFX4) and the GRX4, along with the rocktron MIDI mate. all that cost about $500. that gave me the basics of a simple MIDI controlled system. then, slowly, i would upgrade, improve by getting quality cables, 6U case, pedal drawer, etc. now my rack is finally finished (the only thing i want to upgrade is the power conditioner).

let me tell you how my tone has improved and how simple it is to set up on stage. my setup takes about 5 minutes tops! there's only one plug to the AC wall (since everything is already plugged to the furman), 2 go to the effect loop of the mesa, 1 to the input of the amp, 1 to the out of the midi foot controller, and that's it!

zach, looking at my current rig, is there something you would recommend i should look into? thanks again for this great thread!

• Members

Wait, I'm drunk; are you calling me a troll.....
:confused:
:mad:
:freak:
, but yeah that's what they do. Hope you had a good new years; I just spent the night partying with uppitty yuppies in a posh lil Mc. Mansion. PATRON FTW!!!1r

No, the other dude parismotel6-who was talkin smack, that I was hoping to get schooled from.

• Members

Zach...

I decided that I'm going to run a Boss DD-3 in the loop of the Mesa and call it good rather than going with a G-Major or somesuch. I'm still going to use the Voodoo GCX so I can take things in and out of the signal chain completely though. Here's the updated drawing of my proposed rig...

RigDiagramRev3.jpg

If I need more loops I can use another GCX or the Axess version that's a bit cheaper/smaller correct?

Yup, correct

• Members

I think a lot of people who have the huge pedal boards and are opposed to using a rack do it because of what the other person said about it being unnatural and also because they're comfortable with what they have and don't want to disrupt what works. If it's not broken, why fix it?

I think it's also an aesthetic thing, too. Look at John's board. How much cool factor is lost when switching that to a bunch of little buttons with an LED.

• Members

that's my board! lol

just found this thread this morning and it's already at 25+ pages!!!

i was going to post my personal experience on this matter and then follow up with a question to you, zach.

i've been playing for 20+ years now, 19 of those using pedals exclusively. only recently i decided to "dive" into the rack world and my only regret is i wish i would have done it sooner!

was it expensive? a little, but the cost of ALL my pedals (current and what i owned throughout the years) probably has cost more than my current setup. i started out with axess amp switcher (CFX4) and the GRX4, along with the rocktron MIDI mate. all that cost about $500. that gave me the basics of a simple MIDI controlled system. then, slowly, i would upgrade, improve by getting quality cables, 6U case, pedal drawer, etc. now my rack is finally finished (the only thing i want to upgrade is the power conditioner).

let me tell you how my tone has improved and how simple it is to set up on stage. my setup takes about 5 minutes tops! there's only one plug to the AC wall (since everything is already plugged to the furman), 2 go to the effect loop of the mesa, 1 to the input of the amp, 1 to the out of the midi foot controller, and that's it!

zach, looking at my current rig, is there something you would recommend i should look into? thanks again for this great thread!

If you travel and have your gear carted by people, other than yourself, the only thing I could suggest looking into is an ATA rated shock mount case.

suggestion for when you decide to upgrade, Furman AR15 power conditioner.

Nice job... :thu:

• Members

I think a lot of people who have the huge pedal boards and are opposed to using a rack do it because of what the other person said about it being unnatural and also because they're comfortable with what they have and don't want to disrupt what works. If it's not broken, why fix it?

I think it's also an aesthetic thing, too. Look at John's board. How much cool factor is lost when switching that to a bunch of little buttons with an LED.

I hear you... To me the cool factor that would be gained by the added performance of adding midi presets alone, would be worth the price of admission, over the "look at how many pedals I have" and the "look at me tap dance" thing.

• Members

Has anyone brought up the argument that not many people have/want to spend $2k+ a switching system alone plus lug it around? I would rather cart a Pedalboard than a rack. Signal may be clearer but it just doesn't matter THAT much in a live setting.

Why does every thread end up with rack vs. pedalboard?

Archived