What pedal or effect will tune guitar

• Members

Is there anything that exists that will pitch shift guitar one half step down yet track well and sound good? Other than a Hamonizer, I don't want to spend that much.

Preferably something I could go out & buy today but if there are any old prducts throw those in too.

Get a BOSS TU-2, then you tune your guitar down half a step...

• Members

Get a BOSS TU-2, then you tune your guitar down half a step...

:lol:'d

Probably 1 or 2 songs you want to tune down for, right? Get a cheap-o 2nd guitar or something. Keep that one tuned how you want and keep your main axe standard or whatever. Or ... for a short set, a capo might work just as well.

• Members

:lol:'d

Probably 1 or 2 songs you want to tune down for, right? Get a cheap-o 2nd guitar or something. Keep that one tuned how you want and keep your main axe standard or whatever. Or ... for a short set, a capo might work just as well.

A capo, for a half-step? 2nd guitar was my next choice. But i'd take a TU-2 over a cheapo guitar. Even though all I play are cheap guitars, nothing that costs less than a tuner.

• Members

Yeah. I'd say Tuner too, capo if he's desperate .... but I get where he's coming from.

I used to play in these Battle of the Bands where all you had was like, 8 minutes to play as much as you could. We'd try to jam in 3 songs and arguably our best song was drop-tuned to a lower range to accommodate our singer. I was playing an LP Studio at the time ... but I picked up a little tele for like, $180 to do the other song. Wasn't a killer axe, but it worked.

• Members

Honestly, I'd just tune down half a step and capo the first fret when you have to play standard. If you have to switch to half a step down from standard in the same song, it's much, much easier just to transpose up to Eb rather than trying to find a cheap way to pitch shift down.

If it's an issue of switching from E to Eb in a set, capo is the way to go. In the same song, just transpose.

• Members

Is there anything that exists that will pitch shift guitar one half step down yet track well and sound good? Other than a Hamonizer, I don't want to spend that much.

Preferably something I could go out & buy today but if there are any old prducts throw those in too.

The roland guitar synths do it passably well. I had one back in the 90s and used it to tune down to eflat for some songs. But it still doesn't quite sound or "feel" right to me--that's why I got rid of it.

I haven't found any box out there that can do this and maintain a good tone. Even the expensive harmonizers. They all seem to get some weird digital artifacts in there.

• Members

Some sort of digital pickup like a roland or line 6 would be the only way to achieve changes in tunings while tracking and maintaining tone. Gibson has a les paul that you can change the tunings on, but it's anything but cheap. For something cheap that would be more sophisticated than a capo and tuning a half step down, I'd have to resonate with just getting a Rondo guitar. Pretty cheap, decent quality, and $100-150.

• Members

Hey,

I don't know if there is something that can do that, but this video could possibly be what you're talking about.

(At about 1:20)

It's kind of hard to see since it's at an angle and it's not exactly hi-def, but it looks like Mayer just moved his hand down a fret. I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, but it's not exactly a miracle effect or mind-bending technique.

Archived