What is the future of pedals?

• Members

I've been thinking recently, what can we expect in the future for effects pedals or effects in general? I know build quality and sound quality can increase, but is there a certain point where there will be nothing else coming out, no more new effects? :cry:

If you look at most of the "new" effects today, most are old effects redone, or very similar to effects already out on the market now. So what do you think the future will hold for effects?

• Members

Effects done properly. I mean, even for overdrives, I think that there should be an overdrive that has treble, mid, bass, gain, volume, character, a few different diode types to toggle between (led's, germanium, silicon, rectifier types) and input switching (humbucker/ single coils), 12AX7/ transistor overdrive/ distortion.....in one pedal. It would cost a ton to make, though, and people would probably complain about the difficulty of use.....

• Members

its a never ending circle of doom.

multi effects will get big, but people will go back to single and so on.

never ending circle of doom.

as for the effects themselves? i think moog already reached the limit by stepping back in time and bringing CV to guitar effects.

there wont be any new pedals, that really push standards.

pedals are fine how they are right now.

• Members

I don't see a good future in the mass market world of effects using smt parts put together buy robots. If you're talking new sounds well, I can't remember the last pedal that produced a really new sound that tons of people bought and created something new with...whammy pedal maybe???

• Members

pedals that cater to the new crowds. like the boss slicer, sort of bridging IDM and rock

more COSM type of stuff, as much as I hate it, it makes perfect business sense when mass-manufacturing pedals.

stuff like the line6 programable tonecore module, because stuff like reaktor and max/msp are becoming more popular, and eventually so will DSP programming.

the boutiques still making pedals "the good old fashion way", whilst delivering some really crazy effects, again to cater to the IDM/"post-rock" crowd.

a bit like the line6 module, people will be able to download effects via an online store and patch them into the box. purists will stick to "real" pedals, probably, aside from maybe one "download box" on their board for experimentation.

• Members

pedals are mostly rehashed sounds from the past because most guitarists are so stuck in nostalgia-driven pleasures, that a 60's strat, old fender twin/marshall and original fuzz face's pretty much skew the ability for the market to be driven by innovation.. ie it appears easier to make money from the the strat/marshall/fuzz market than from the rest combined.. probably.

• Members

I don't see a good future in the mass market world of effects using smt parts put together buy robots. If you're talking new sounds well, I can't remember the last pedal that produced a really new sound that tons of people bought and created something new with...whammy pedal maybe???

POG

HOG

bit crushers

sequencer pedals

I would also like to state that I hate "what's the future?" threads.

• Members

In the year 2012, guitar effects pedals will no longer run off of power supplies or batteries. They will harness the braun and power of enraged Brazillian fire ants to operate more efficiently than days past. Additionally, they will be controlled via Bluetooth Multi-Touch through iTunes for only $29.95. So long guitar!

Apple-logo.jpg

• Members

pedals that cater to the new crowds. like the boss slicer, sort of bridging IDM and rock

more COSM type of stuff, as much as I hate it, it makes perfect business sense when mass-manufacturing pedals.

stuff like the line6 programable tonecore module, because stuff like reaktor and max/msp are becoming more popular, and eventually so will DSP programming.

the boutiques still making pedals "the good old fashion way", whilst delivering some really crazy effects, again to cater to the IDM/"post-rock" crowd.

a bit like the line6 module, people will be able to download effects via an online store and patch them into the box. purists will stick to "real" pedals, probably, aside from maybe one "download box" on their board for experimentation.

I agree. Programmable modules where you can download stuff. Like a mini VST host, with libraries of instruments online... like the current synth world...

• Members

Pedals will progress in the same way as other elctronics by getting smaller and smaller until you step on one to activate it and it gets stuck in the tread of your shoe, or even better you manage to accidentally swallow it. Or they'll come out with a line of pedals the size of a wristwatch and you can wear them on your wrist; these pedals will also double as two way communicator watches.

• Members
In the year 2012, guitar effects pedals will no longer run off of power supplies or batteries. They will harness the braun and power of enraged Brazillian fire ants to operate more efficiently than days past. Additionally, they will be controlled via Bluetooth Multi-Touch through iTunes for only $29.95. So long guitar!

Apple-logo.jpg

class :)

er..kaoss pad?

Archived