Let's chat compression!

Tengo

• Members

So I'm looking for a compressor for my board and then I am DONE (really). Unfortunately, I haven't really paid attention to past threads and I would go and search through them, but at this time it's always nice to liven the forum up a little :). The initial compressor that strikes my eye is the keeley, and it's also the perfect size for my board.

I started looking through 2 knobs and 4 knobs and through a few comments about them and the one thing that concerns me about having one on my board is that it will do too much work for me- do people recommend restricting what they can compress? Therefore, what would people recommend? Although I play electric a lot, my board is primarily used in conjunction with an acoustic guitar.

• Members

This vid convinced me I need a compressor, an optical one at that. It makes the tone really fat sounding, and I love that LED.

[YOUTUBE]4H08ujGejv0[/YOUTUBE]

I am thinking of picking the Sputnik up when I have the cash, if I don't find anything better before then.

• Members

I have a Barber Tone Press. It is my first comp, recommended by some HCers here. I played a Keeley 2 knob before I bought the TP. I'm going to take the Tone Press to the shop and A/B the two.

I really like the Tone Press. Its affordable to.

• Members

people tell me I sould always have a compressor on, they talk about compression like it "pro in a box" but I still really don't understand what compression is. Isn't OD a form of compression? And whats the diff between hard and soft compression, and whats the diff between a compressor and a limiter (Which is another form of compression ???)?

• Members
So I'm looking for a compressor for my board and then I am DONE (really). Unfortunately, I haven't really paid attention to past threads and I would go and search through them, but at this time it's always nice to liven the forum up a little
:)
. The initial compressor that strikes my eye is the keeley, and it's also the perfect size for my board.

I started looking through 2 knobs and 4 knobs and through a few comments about them and the one thing that concerns me about having one on my board is that it will do too much work for me- do people recommend restricting what they can compress? Therefore, what would people recommend? Although I play electric a lot, my board is primarily used in conjunction with an acoustic guitar.

The keeley is a nice compressor although IMO there are better. I am personally a fan of the visual sound compression on the route 66. If size is a concern you can get the comp 66 from visual sound which is the comp from the route 66. If you don't like the looks of those, you could also check out the BYOC 5 knob compressor. I don't really recommend the keeley comp mainly because of the price. You can get a comparable compressor at a better price especially considering they are all based on roughly the same circuit (ross and dyna comp).

As far as your second questions are concerned, it's a matter of plugging in a finding out what sound works for you.

Good luck on your quest for tone.

• Members

What are you looking for from compression? Do you want to fatten up your tone? Do want endless sustain that you can manipulate into feedback? Do you want a transparent compressor? Do you want a squashed sound for finger picking? Do you want a tight clean sound for funky playing? Do want help cutting through the mix? Do you want a comp that'll color your tone and add od?

You should choose a compressor based on how it sounds and if it is suited to do what you're looking for. For acoustic I prefer a more transparent compressor but for electric I prefer the Ross based comps. Compression is often times a subtle effect that isn't immediately noticable. It's definately a good idea to try a bunch first to make sure your money is well invested.

people tell me I sould always have a compressor on, they talk about compression like it "pro in a box" but I still really don't understand what compression is.

A compressor is a dynamics processor. What they do is to lower the levels of signals that are above a threshold point by a specific amount, usually expressed as a ratio. For example, in the video above, they mention a "five to one" ratio (normally written as 5:1), which means that a signal needs to go 5 dB "louder" than the threshold for the compressor to output a 1 dB increase in volume. The higher the ratio, the more the levels that exceed the threshold get "squashed" or compressed.

Since that compression can make your apparent volume lower, an output level (or "make up gain") control is normally included with a compressor. Increase this, and the apparent level of your "soft" playing - IOW, the notes that do not exceed the threshold - appear louder. So that's basically what a compressor does - evens out your dynamics and makes your average signal levels more consistent.

Isn't OD a form of compression?

Overdrives typically "clip" or round off the highest peaks of the signal, and so yes, there's a bit of "natural" compression going on when you play with a OD pedal, or into a saturated amp.

And whats the diff between hard and soft compression, and whats the diff between a compressor and a limiter (Which is another form of compression ???)?

A limiter is basically a very extreme compressor - 10:1 or greater ratio - that is set with a higher threshold point, so it only attenuates the very loudest notes, thus limiting the maximum output level.

Hard and soft knee compression are two types of compression and deal with how quickly the compressor kicks in and how it reacts as it approaches and then exceeds the threshold. A hard knee doesn't do anything until you hit the threshold, then it immediately kicks in. A soft knee design will start to gradually kick the compression in just below the threshold point, and then gradually increase the amount of compression as the level exceeds the compression threshold, thus giving you a bit more transparent / natural transition and sound. Neither is "better or worse" - both have their sound and uses. :)

• Members
What are you looking for from compression? Do you want to fatten up your tone?

Essentially, I'm playing lines on top of the rhythm guitar, be it strummed or fingerpicked. To an element I'd like a nice piece of sustain, but essentially I need something subtle, transparent, but ultimately pro making :)

• Members

I'll put forward my usual recommendation for the Diamond compressor. I use mine mainly with a 12-string electric and the EQ knob is brilliant for dialling in the highs lost because of the compression. Instant Byrds sound without having to pay tons for a Janglebox. I sold my Keeley 4-knob compressor five days after buying the Diamond. The Keeley was good but the Diamond kicked its ass.

• Members
I'll put forward my usual recommendation for the Diamond compressor. I use mine mainly with a 12-string electric and the EQ knob is brilliant for dialling in the highs lost because of the compression. Instant Byrds sound without having to pay tons for a Janglebox. I sold my Keeley 4-knob compressor five days after buying the Diamond. The Keeley was good but the Diamond kicked its ass.

love the Diamond, fantastic pedal, mine has a permanent home in my rig :love:

• Members
cp9426961.jpg
/thread

Recently acquired one and it's the end of my compressor search. It gives a nice jangly tone and is perfect for that set and forget element. If you need the super squishy it's there as well. Got mine for $75, used of course.
Can't go wrong with it, and remember.... if it's good enough for Gilmour it's good enough for you! :thu:

• Members

If you're on a budget, then I'd recommend either the MXR Super Comp or the Rocktron Big Crush. I have both of these and they're very good compressors for the money. I got both of mine used for around $50 each. In fact, due to my lo-fi recording and having to print effects as they record, I've used the Big Crush for vocals, bass and drum machine, as well as guitar.

The two "big dogs" in terms of pedal compressors are probably the Ross compressor and the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. The Dynacomp is similar to the Ross, and many modern compressors are variations or outright clones of the Ross / Dynacomp type design. The Orange Squeezer is a little bit spongier and more squishy sounding - a classic OS sound example would be the lead guitar on "Sultans Of Swing" by Dire Straits. One cool possibility would be the Analogman Bi-Comp, which places both an OS type and Ross type compressor into a single pedal. :cool:

I've got a few different compressors - both pedal and rack stuff. Not limiting myself to stuff I do own, some good compressors IMO would be the Diamond, The OLCircuits "Sunkist Squeeze", the Demeter Compulator (an optical compressor ala the UREI LA2A in pedal form), the Keeley four knob, the vintage Ross and "script logo" MXR Dynacomp...

For rack stuff, the old UREI LA2A, LA3A, (modified) LA4A, and 1176 are all great, as is the Empirical Labs Distressor, FMR RNLA and RNC. I'm also a big fan of Aphex rack compressors, and so I suspect their floor units are probably also pretty good, although I have not personally tried them yet.

• Members

that cp9 looks very cool indeed. I can't find any demos of it doing it's stuff though. Would anyone who owns one be able to do a quick run through of it? I also really like the look and sound of the diamond, but it just won't fit on my board, whereas the Keeley seems pretty perfect. I know it's expensive, but I'm thinking really think I need to invest in the best, especially considering my bands been thrown some cool upcoming gigs and we're getting somewhere now.

• Members

that cp9 looks very cool indeed. I can't find any demos of it doing it's stuff though. Would anyone who owns one be able to do a quick run through of it? I also really like the look and sound of the diamond, but it just won't fit on my board, whereas the Keeley seems pretty perfect. I know it's expensive, but I'm thinking really think I need to invest in the best, especially considering my bands been thrown some cool upcoming gigs and we're getting somewhere now.

As far as I know, the clean part in this song is the Ibanez CP9

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived