Big Muff Diode Switch Mod

• Members

haha oh my bad no dogs. not meant to be hostile i just figured you read the first couple of posts then posted.

yeah i find that having no diodes in the first stage paired with something else is more my forte'.

Yeah, that's a good one. All the mojo is in the second set.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

its interesting to see how the clipping characteristics change depending on what you have selected. there are certain combinations that are radically different from others and its cool to see what they are. lots of very usable tones.

• Members

its interesting to see how the clipping characteristics change depending on what you have selected. there are certain combinations that are radically different from others and its cool to see what they are. lots of very usable tones.

Did you mess around with mosfets in the diode loops?

• Members

I think he's jerking your chain. There aren't any MOSFET's in a Big Muff.

EDIT: Unless he meant using MOSFET's instead of diodes in the feedback loop. I don't see how that would work. There are no conventional PN junctions in a MOSFET to use for clipping.

• Members

I think he's jerking your chain. There aren't any MOSFET's in a Big Muff.

EDIT: Unless he meant using MOSFET's instead of diodes in the feedback loop. I don't see how that would work. There are no conventional PN junctions in a MOSFET to use for clipping.

thats what he meant. i kinda was thinking the same thing.

• Members

thats what he meant. i kinda was thinking the same thing.

M'kay. :)

Well, the source and drain of a MOSFET would just act like a resistor. Either source or drain combined with the gate would act like an open circuit. If it didn't, then the MOSFET was blown.

You could use the base/collector or base/emitter junction of a regular bipolar transistor, but (as you already know) the voltage drop isn't much different from any regular silicon diode, so the clipping effect would be pretty much the same as you're already getting from the silicon diodes.

What you might want to try is ganging PN junctions in series to get different clipping levels. For instance, you might be able to bring up the clipping level of the germaniums by putting two series pairs back to back.

This should bring the clipping level up to +/- 600mV. This is only 200mV (peak to peak) less than the clipping level of the silicons, so the volume should be nearly the same. However, the germaniums clip more gently, so the tone should be a little less harsh.

• Members
M'kay. :)

Well, the source and drain of a MOSFET would just act like a resistor. Either source or drain combined with the gate would act like an open circuit. If it didn't, then the MOSFET was blown.

You could use the base/collector or base/emitter junction of a regular bipolar transistor, but (as you already know) the voltage drop isn't much different from any regular silicon diode, so the clipping effect would be pretty much the same as you're already getting from the silicon diodes.

What you might want to try is ganging PN junctions in series to get different clipping levels. For instance, you might be able to bring up the clipping level of the germaniums by putting two series pairs back to back.

• Members

No chain jerking here. This is what I was referring to:

Gotcha.

That probably wouldn't work here. The clipping diodes aren't in a DC isolated circuit with a ground reference, like they are in many other fuzz pedals. They are in the feedback loops from the collector to base of two NPN transistors. The "body diodes" might still clip, but the gates would be affected by the DC voltage difference between the collector and emitter. If you could provide a good neutral voltage reference for the gates (relative to the source/drain) then you could probably get it to work. If you just tried to slip them in with the gates tied to source or drain then the MOSFET would behave like a MOSFET, and not like a simple diode.

• Members

Gotcha.

That probably wouldn't work here. The clipping diodes aren't in a DC isolated circuit with a ground reference, like they are in many other fuzz pedals. They are in the feedback loops from the collector to base of two NPN transistors. The "body diodes" might still clip, but the gates would be affected by the DC voltage difference between the collector and emitter. If you could provide a good neutral voltage reference for the gates (relative to the source/drain) then you could probably get it to work. If you just tried to slip them in with the gates tied to source or drain then the MOSFET would behave like a MOSFET, and not like a simple diode.

That makes sense and now that I look back at the page I see the examples are all ground referenced. I probably should have put 2 and 2 together.

• Members

This thread has got me thinking about mods I could do to some of my other pedals.

Are there any 'one stop shops' in terms of websites for DIY pedal mods?

Pulling {censored} apart and messing with whats inside is always fun.

• 1 month later...

Archived