Big Muff Diode Switch Mod

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tried taking out the diodes. Hated it. It lost all focus, and just turned into fuzzy mush, IMO.

+1. What the diodes do is compress it so that it sustains more....my NYC Muff re-ish got too "open" sounding and started to lose the craziness that makes it the Big Muff. I put an LED in the clipping circuit and I love this in overdrives because it gives you more headroom, but in fuzzes, LED's in the clipping diodes I don't like. Or just the "more open" sound in general.

Germanium 1N34A's sound great though in the clipping diodes. Germaniums have a natural fuzzy sound, especially in the sustain. I'll be making a "MegaMuff" that has a few different clipping diode configurations.

• Members

im gonna swap in a bunch of different diodes tonight. i know that germaniums will cut some more volume, but we will see what the gain sounds like.

i love the germanium diodes

mids knob, germanium diodes, changed a few capacitors, put in a purple LED, started poking around the board with a wire just looking for neat sounds, ended up putting in a switch that puts a wire from C1 to a resistor on the other side of the circuit. it sort of like a boost, it gives a little volume boost, and breaks up ALOT easier, gets really fuzzy, i like it. going to add a Bias knob, and possibly put in germanium transistors, or have a switch to change between silicon and germanium

100_3305.jpg

• Members

um, oky.

i plan on installing two double pole, six position rotary switches.

then im gonna use LED's and silicon and germanium diodes in such a way that i can choose about 36 combinations between the two diode banks.

i plan on doing it like this:

1. no diodes

2. silicon

3. germanium

4. red LED

5. yellow LED

6. green LED

we will see what this sounds like. dig it.

• Members

aww, why not? thats the fun part

haha well, its easier to do things i want if i do some actual engineering. like tomorrow, im gonna sit down and plot all the gain characteristics so i can figure out how i wanna pair everything up and to make sure there arent any combinations that are arbitrary.

Archived