Big Muff Diode Switch Mod

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

was it stock?

i dunno about $300. people might be catching on. if its a vista, then thats a steal. if its the 25.5" series (like i got) $300 may be a little steep, but check other auctions for the current market price.

i got mine for trading an old red epi dot. when i got it, it had flatwounds, gauge .12. damn. the guy was using it for slide.

i took it apart, cleaned it up, stuck a seymour duncan phat cat p90 in the bridge and i love it. the neck is the thing of legends. its so nice. i cant afford a jazzmaster and i almost dont care cuz this thing is amazing. ive had it for like 3 years now.

and thanks!

• Members

was it stock?

i dunno about $300. people might be catching on. if its a vista, then thats a steal. if its the 25.5" series (like i got) $300 may be a little steep, but check other auctions for the current market price.

i got mine for trading an old red epi dot. when i got it, it had flatwounds, gauge .12. damn. the guy was using it for slide.

i took it apart, cleaned it up, stuck a seymour duncan phat cat p90 in the bridge and i love it. the neck is the thing of legends. its so nice. i cant afford a jazzmaster and i almost dont care cuz this thing is amazing. ive had it for like 3 years now.

and thanks!

Here's the one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-Jagmaster-guitar-stratocaster-telecaster_W0QQitemZ320279099549QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33039QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He doesn't give much of a description. Can you tell based on the pic?

I have one of these, and I thinks it's an awesome guitar, especially for the price!

0320700500_xl_tmbn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think he's jerking your chain. There aren't any MOSFET's in a Big Muff.

EDIT: Unless he meant using MOSFET's instead of diodes in the feedback loop. I don't see how that would work. There are no conventional PN junctions in a MOSFET to use for clipping.

The mosfet body diode is a PN junction, which can be used for clipping. More details here:

http://www.muzique.com/news/mosfet-body-diodes/

regards, Jack

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Bump - has anyone else done this to a Russian Big Muff, and if so what'd you think?

echodeluxe, the rotary switch is intriguing, but I might just want to wire up some toggles - what are your fave diodes for the two clipping sections / which ones do you find yourself using the most?

• Members

Bump - has anyone else done this to a Russian Big Muff, and if so what'd you think?

echodeluxe, the rotary switch is intriguing, but I might just want to wire up some toggles - what are your fave diodes for the two clipping sections / which ones do you find yourself using the most?

hey, this can be done to a russian muff too. i bet it would sound awesome.

the rotary switches were great, but i think id do toggles the next time around simply because i streamlined the mod down to a few options, but i would also like to pair up different diodes for assymetrical clipping.

my fave options were the leds. they are massive sounding.

• Members

Cool. I think I'll definitely give the red LEDs a try, and maybe germaniums (two in series each way so 4 total) if I can dig some up... I do like what a red LED did for my SD-1 in an asymmetrical pair with some SIs...

did you (or anyone else reading this) ever try germaniums in series? seems to be the thing to do when replacing si diodes with them in other pedals.

Oh, did you use 3mm or 5mm LEDs? Is there a difference? I know I've got some 3s, dunno about 5s

• Members

yeah the germaniums in the big muff mod were in series. get ready for a huge drop in volume.

How huge? Will it be lower than unity levels? Or just less volume boost available? The Muff has so much volume boost available stock (at least mine does) I can't see that happening, but I'm not the one who's done it already. :thu: Since I use it for several songs where it's not on all the time, if it drops that low I won't even bother trying them...

Thanks for the answers, BTW :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

I've had an idea for a mod as my NYC muff is mostly being used on bass,

Does anyone know how I could add a 'blend' knob to mix the sound of the big muff back in with the clean/bypassed sound.

Not without adding a buffer otherwise all your doing is creating a feedback loop.

Ask on DIY if your serious about it.

• Members

The best diode mod for the Muff, I think, is LED's.....I tried a few different types, and 1N34A germaniums create a slightly altered and wilder attack, but at the expense of noise; 1N4007 rectifiers add alot of noise, but add a bit of volume and some nice compression.

• Members

And germanium diodes decrease output volume too, you can rectify this with tone bypass though.

They say that it's supposed to decrease with the germaniums, but I didn't notice any decrease of output with the 1N34A's.....maybe slightly, but I mean barely perceptible. The tone stack bypass is pretty cool, but I prefer just having a switchable LED diode.....the volume boost is the same as the tone stack mod volume, the sound isn't as compressed as the stock diodes, it's more wide open sounding, but you're still getting the hugeness of the tone stack. The tone stack lift mod is a little too linear sounding for me, but it's handy to have here and there.

• 6 years later...

Archived