Big Muff Diode Switch Mod

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WELL,

i thought you were implying that it was potentially a wattson electronics product.

i wasn't talking about "giving you the idea for the diodes" rather "giving you the idea to sell it as a wattson electronics product"

READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

i forgive you.

• Members

how do you have that set up? each knob controlling one of the two sets o f diodes?

Each knob selects between a pair of germanium diodes, a pair of silicon diodes, a pair of red LED's, a pair of green LED's, a pair of yellow LED's, or no diodes at all. One switch for the feedback loop of the first clipping stage, and one for the second stage.

• Members

okay, heres the inside of the muff before i rewired the rest of it:

2519530825_5e17db3a91_o.jpg

heres the first switch, with the diodes:

2519530829_81c36607fb_o.jpg

second switch:

2519530833_4543b12f76_o.jpg

the circuit board close up, showing the stage one clipping section. the two solder pads directly above the empty holes is where the switch is injected into the signal path:

2519530837_6fdb39a357_o.jpg

the inside of the muff after i reqired it and did some wire dressing with lacing cord. whoever wired it up at the factory was on peyote:

2519530843_57309b361b_o.jpg

another inside view:

2519530845_458a1f5be1_o.jpg

amp_surgeon already explained what the switches do. i can basically select up to 36 different combinations of clipping diodes. its really cool, and the results are pretty much what i expected.

the silicon diodes have a harder edged, brighter sound. i used 1N4148 fast switching diodes for this point.

the germaniums are NTE109's. they drop 300mV, which is significant, so they are pretty quiet. however, the resulting fuzz is nice and organic, thick, and wooly. im gonna try boosting it with the od3 on this setting to see how it sounds.

the red, yellow, and green LED's drop 1.8, 1.9, and 2 volts, respectively. not a big change, but it seems that the green LED's have a bigger bottom nd. the red LED's actually light up when played, and they clip soonest. i like the sound of the red LED's, loud and cutting. more mids.

and obviously the no diodes selection is just loud as hell.

i am going to experiment with different combinations and report back.

i will do some clips tonight, nothing crazy, just a few comparisons.

• Members

Hey,

WAKE UP!

He recorded the clips last night, but he wasn't ready to start editing them until 11:00pm, and I said it was too late to start on that. The clips are still on my recorder. Whenever he drags his butt over here then he can record the voice over, and then we'll edit, compress to MP3, and upload.

I expect it will be at least a few more hours before he shows up.

• Members

He recorded the clips last night, but he wasn't ready to start editing them until 11:00pm, and I said it was too late to start on that. The clips are still on my recorder. Whenever he drags his butt over here then he can record the voice over, and then we'll edit, compress to MP3, and upload.

I expect it will be at least a few more hours before he shows up.

no offence intended but are you two gay lovers or something?

....I don't mind, I think it's cute. ;)

• Members

no offence intended but are you two gay lovers or something?

....I don't mind, I think it's cute.
;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA holy {censored}.

jim and i have been friends for about 4 years. STRAIGHT friends. even if we were gay, jim's too old for me. haha.

Archived