Low Gain TS Style overdrive?

dZjupp

• Members

I can address the second half (sorta). I have an '83 TS9 and I did the mod to 808 specs - changed the opamp, a few resistors, etc. I can't hear any difference. But I've made two other 808 clone kits that I actually prefer over the stock - but they're modded more to my tastes.

Do a search, I think this 'low gain' topic was recently discussed.

• Members

yeah, my first pedal 12 years ago was a 79' ts9, best ovd pedal i've ever had, stupidly sold it. that thing literally "screamed" it must have had nitrous oxide in it.

I went away from the ts sound for a few years but have come back to it about a year ago, its just right for me, i love the sound of the ibanez ts9 over anything, expensive or cheap. when dallas schoo (edge's guitar tech) said that the edge's was one 75% of the time, i believe it, just having it on enhances mojo.

so that is why i was wondering if i could find one that i could have that low gain - almost clean....

• Members
this looks interesting

ood9_mainimg_02.jpg

I had one of those and I sold it about a month ago (kinda regret it) the thing was freakin sweet. The fact that it didn't have a tone knob kinda turned me off though, it always had a bit of a dark sound to it, but overall, i'd reccomend one. They aren't very high gain at all.

• Members

I've got an Aramat Green Machine in the works, supposed to be a fairly low gain Tubescreamer-style pedal. Looking forward to it, my world's been turned around lately by the Mojo Fuzz and the forced education in how great low-gain germanium overdrives make amps of all flavors sound. I want to sell most of my mid-gain and lower dirt and buy a bunch of germanium ODs and fuzzes :eek:

• Members

Tube Screamers are pretty low gain...most people run the gain really low and the volume high anyways so it hits your tubes harder.

My favorite low gain pedals are treble boosts though...it's amazing how many people over look them especially since most of their favorite classic rock records were made with them because there wasn't much else. And in case you don't know, don't expect some massive spike in treble either. If you want some sweet crunch with clarity a nice germanium treble boost should be considered.

• Members

Tried a new pedal by a company called ModTone today. ~$79 overdrive, bright yellow box, sounds awfully TS-ish to me. Good Od though, quite touch-sensitive. Their Distortion is only $50 and sounds really nice too, very crunchy JCM800ish.

• Members
are you okay? do you need to take a seat and relax?

the bad monkey is a great lower-mid gain tubescreamer ish pedal. better than a tubescreamer in y opinion.

i owned a ts9 and was not impressed. i paid $30 for the bad monkey and WOW.

The EQ on the BM is really very good. That being said I am a fan of the MI Audio BP!:thu:

Archived